Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday I went to an autocross. Instead of driving mine like I planned, I drove someone else's who had a lot nicer tires to drive on. Well after the 3rd pass, getting ready to do the 4th, at the gate, I could barely get the car into 1st gear. It was REALLY stiff, like when you're doing more than 20, and trying to downshift into first instantly stiff. He said his car was completely stock other than the tires, so I was wondering if anyone knew what was causing this?

Engine temp was normal around 200 if that matters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
1st Gear Doesn't have any synchronizers*hope I spelled that right* So thats why it so hard to shift on to 1st

·
Registered
144 Posts
The harder I drive my car the stiffer the shift becomes. I just figured this is normal.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't trying to downshift. I was sitting at the gate getting ready to launch. I was in neutral, not moving an inch. BTW, most of the time, you don't need to downshift into 1st when you're autocrossing fellas....unless the track is REALLY slow, which this one wasn't.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've read some threads about our cars having a weak shifter fork and early indicators of a weakening fork was that it was hard to get in gear.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think it is just the heat too. When doing multiple runs at the track you really start to notice stiffer shifting unless you let your car cool down before each run.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Set the record straight!

To quote from the service manual:
"The NV T850 5-speed transaxle is a constant-mesh manual transaxle that is synchronized in all gear ranges, including reverse."

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
chewie said:
Well yesterday I went to an autocross. Instead of driving mine like I planned, I drove someone else's who had a lot nicer tires to drive on. Well after the 3rd pass, getting ready to do the 4th, at the gate, I could barely get the car into 1st gear. It was REALLY stiff, like when you're doing more than 20, and trying to downshift into first instantly stiff. He said his car was completely stock other than the tires, so I was wondering if anyone knew what was causing this?

Engine temp was normal around 200 if that matters.
I think it's the stock fluid, in hot temps and combined with hard driving it doesnt shift so well IMO. I think that applies to most ATF's as well . I switched from ATF at the beginning of summer because of that reason, as soon as the hot temps hit my tranny was shifting stiffer. Switched to Redline MTL and it was immediately better and held up all summer in blistering heat conditions and road course racing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
REDLINE04 said:
yeah..the harder she rides..the stiffer my shifter becomes too!!!
LMFAO!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,568 Posts
well what I usually do is shift into second first (with the clutch down the entire time) and then into first...makes it a lot easier. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.