Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im really hoping for an SRT-4 with in the next few months(if theres any left). I hear lots of positives about the engine, so i know that is the cars srtong point, but how does it handle, does any one have a slalom course mph, does it understeer badly at the limit, is there excess body roll, do the 205 tires suck, all this stuff no one really talks about, im not really interested in dragracing, just flying through mountain and canyon roads so handling is very important, i am also considering the SVT focus because it has been praised so heavily of its handling, thanks in advance, matt

·
Registered
534 Posts
I dont own one, but i've read a lot of reviews about them, i've heard the handling is great...I'm not sure if it will beat the wrx's awd b/c thats really what the rex's are made for, but i think you should be impressed...stay away from ford...go w/ the srt!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Matt, refer to this thread. This guy just autocrossed the SRT-4. It is a good reveiw of the handeling.

http://www.srtforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=710

·
Registered
864 Posts
WRXs don't handle all that spectacularly stock. The stock tires really suck and the suspension is a ride/handling compromise. If you are looking for a good handling FWD, try a Mazdaspeed Protege, an MP3, ITR, Prelude, or the SVT. The SRT-4 is a good handling car, but stock for stock I think all the before mentioned cars will handle better. If I was looking for a strictly twisties FWD car, I wouldn't pick the SRT-4. Then again if I was looking for a car strictly for carving corners it wouldn't be FWD. I have no doubt the SRT-4 will be a fun car in the turns but IMO stock vs stock there are better for the same/similar price. Then again I prefer NA to FI too, not everyone agrees with me. I'd suggest you test drive them all and also look at available mods.

JC

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You will feel understeer and body roll, but the limit is pretty high. The tires do a great job of holding the road, and the pull between corners is great. Stock vs Stock, a Mazdaspeed will pull better slalom, but in SCC's mountain test between the two, the SRT beat the MS. If you want to get the SRT to be a great handling car, invest in some Mopar adjustable dampers (for the ACR, supplied by KW with adjustable springs). The ACR's win autocross tracks all the time, and their suspension components will bolt up to an SRT. Lower the car by an inch or two, and again, you'll get a huge improvement. Combine that with the power and pull during a straightaway, and you've got a hell of a mountain carver.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't have mine yet so I can't speak from experience but Eb's points are well taken. I think that the SRT's prowess in the twisty bits is better than most people think and the ACRs tell it all as far as potential.

I think the best handling FWD cars off the showroom floor have to be Mazda right now. If they had more power I might have changed my choice. Ya gotta love all that Mopar Power for so little money!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts