Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you had the same problem with your srt4. Basically I went to the dealership today and got my car diagnosed, they said the grinding from my steering was caused from the rack and pinion and they said I needed to get it replaced asap. I don’t doubt that’s the problem but I was wondering if I could just get away with a simple power steering fluid change or do I need to spent he $1400 to replace the whole thing. Also how does the rack and pinion start grinding in the first place? If anyone has any input it would be much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
I think you answered your own question.
I would first see "if I could just get away with a simple power steering fluid change" before I would "spent he $1400 to replace the whole thing".

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have not heard of this problem before. of course the dealer is going to say change it asap so they get your money. If you leave it the most that could happen is you wouldn’t have power steering So if the grinding sound is worth 1400 dollars to you then change it

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Also can't say ive ever heard of this being a problem. It's probably the original fluid in there, so changing it wouldn't be a bad idea to try first. I would have someone else take a look at it long before i would spend that much money to have a rack replaced. I've seen several people with PS pumps that have failed, though i don't know if that would cause the same "grinding" noise you're experiencing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it’s weird and I can’t find really anyone with the same problem on here. So I’ve been doing my own diagnostics lately and all the components are good as in ball joints and bushings, and it seems to happen not if it’s warm but if I’ve been driving for more than 3 minutes. The fluid does look fairly dirty so I might just try doing that once I get the chance. I do have a video up showing what it sounds like if you’d like to take a look

some times it won’t return to center after a turn but with the slightest push it will go back.
Thanks for your responses 👍

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
that's not grinding.. its rubbing/squeaking
just take the lower and upper cover .. till it stops.. then wd40 everything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So where exactly should I hit with the wd40? I’m not quite sure what I would be looking at

·
Registered
508 Posts
Also here is a video from today I took with me locking the wheel to the left

look under the steering wheel down by the pedals. there is a link, it connects the steering column to the rack. Center the steering wheel and disconnect it and then turn the wheel, if the noise continues then its probably the clock spring or column bearings, easy fix, get one from a junk car. drop the column out and install the new one, changing the lock cylinder is probably the most difficult, and even thats not hard. Google the world for a FSM.

if it goes away its either that link or the rack. replace the link, they arent expensive, or get one from a junk car.

If the rack is bad, I got one from rock auto, though I hear they aren't terribly difficult to repair.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So here’s an update, After I got a quote from the dealer - (they said I have to replace the entire rack and pinion). I tilted the steering wheel up and left it for a week and the sound went away! It hasn’t come back yet so thank you to everyone for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts