Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting the profec-b and steering wheel switch. The plan is to use low set for 1st and maybe 2nd gear for traction and then hit Hi after that for 3rd , 4th and fifth.

I installed my kinetics wastegate and have it spiking 15 and falling to 12-13 now. I use no stock lines. I want the choice to adjust how fast or slow boost hits and falls with gain settings the greddy provides. And hold higher to redline in the high setting. Hopefully spike 18-19 and at redline 15-16 after FPR mod and mapclamp is set. I'm not worried about setup because I pretty much understand the way the settings work.

Any profec people out there with advise or tips. If you don't have one don't beat up on me. I want advise from people who own one. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
i have a profec B but i didn't like it. don't waste your time trying to switch between gears yourself. you might mess something up. your mapclamp is going to be tuned for high or low boost setting. not both. my advice is to stay in high boost mode when you are running at the track or something. then turn it off when you are on the street and let the WG do its thing. if you want to do high and low boost/fuel maps. then get a DTEC or something.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
profec does not like small wastegates. Works beautifully on my 50 trim, though it sucked ass on stocker. For best power out of your stocker and best driveability - STOCK line setup & mapclamp. You will notice that as you are adjusting the mapclamp your boost will start rising on it's own. Therefore no need for EBC or MBC.
On just s2 & Borla catback (stock DP & all), with mapclamp I was spiking 22psi & slowly dropping off to 16.5 by redline & I was putting down 282whp & 310ft/tq. That was with 11.7 afr midrange - richening up to 11.1 at redline - & NO PTB AT ALL :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the greddy stg 1 and forge wga and loved it used it for the same reason you wanted it low for first gear and high for second gear. you can also make your own switch

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would the mapclamp be affected by a Hi or Lo reading?
It is set to the highest limit that the map sensor can see. No matter what you use to control boost. Set it to see only 15 lbs and that's all it will see, no matter how you get there or higher.

And also... all this stuff I'm buying or install is working my way to big turbo or ported and clipped upgrades. You know how it is. It never ends !!!

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
i would figure if you set your mapclamp to the highest boost setting and then try to run a low boost on that same setting. you would think your car would end up being to rich.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
map clamp does not work like that. This is something that we had a seriously heated debate on. COntrary to what some may say - I guarantee you that mapclamp is taking a percentage of the signal and not "clamping" at a certain setpoint. If you look at what is in it - anyone with basic electronics knowledge will recognize it easily. Your mapclamp is nothing else than an adjustable resistor with a couple of diodes. Now, an adjustable resistor always provides some resistance. If you dial it all the way down - it will be none. As you dial it up it will increase (going ccw on your mapclamp). Now, if the resistance when you dial it up is 5kOhms (per say) - that 5kOhms is gonna be there when your map sensor is reading 5psi, just as it is gonna be there at 10psi & so on & so on... SO, what happens when you are clamping is that you set the boost at the optimal level, and then with the mapclamp you are increasing the resistance on the variable resistor until the voltage that ecu sees is lowered to the desired point. Less voltage ecu sees more timing advance it will give and it will give you amount of fuel that is mapped for that amount of boost. In doing this, you will be dumping less fuel in there (so you will lean up that pig righ s2) and you will get the timing advance.
So, hope that this makes sense... more you dial up in the "clamp" more resistance you are putting on it, higher the voltage DROP across the mapclamp & less voltage the ECU sees...
this is also why if you stay on stock lines the ecu will bring the boost up. If you dial up the clamp, and you go WOT - ecu is not seeing enough boost it is gonna keep the wastegate shut - and your boost will go up, once the ecu sees enough voltage it maintains that boost level.
Makes sense?
Stock lines + mapclamp = leaner afr & higher boost. & since ECU is still controlling boost there is no PTB. :)
Just keep in mind that mapclamp is taking away a % of boost that ECU can see. If ecu is not seeing enough, it will upp the boost.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
For 2k4
Not true on the clamp. It only clamps at a given high setting. People tell me if I'm wrong.

If that was true it would always be rich unless you were on it all the time. It clamps peak map senser voltage seen. Spike 19,20,21.....but the map sees only the clamp..15 or whatever your fuel lets you clamp for best a/f.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
last post wasn't for you altSrt4

But why do most people clamp with aftermarket wastegates and not using stock lines. We all don't have stage 2 with the higher boost options and fuel. The purpose is to pull fuel at peak redline boost safely.

I'm not arguing I'm just learning ! Great explanation though on clamping.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
its no big deal to me. i still think it will only lean you out on the top end and won't help on your quest for two boost setting/fuel maps. no harm. manly wanted to give my 2 cents on the greddy.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not looking for two fuel maps. Just lower peak boost so I don't blaze the tires so much through first and second. LOL !!

Gotta love that in a four cylinder....

Thanks for all your opinions and help.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. it just sounded like you are trying to do what the DTEC and Emanage can do and the is fuel/boost maps.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When big turbo comes. ( When the wife gives in...she hates to ride with me now) . Then I'll have study to DTEC's and all the necessary fuel trims then. Gotta take my time. Mod too quick and I'll run outta things to do........

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
mapclamp will not lean you out up top... Besides - with your mods you do not have enough fuel to upp the boost much more.
Now for example - s2 car goes stupid rich from like 3200rpm to about 5600rpm if i remember correctly. So, if your theory on map clamp leaning you out up top was right - mapclamp would not be worth shit. Mapclamp affects your afr throughout the entire rpm band.
in your case - get a fuel return line first, or water & alcohol injection - then you will not be running out of fuel, you can upp your boost safely & then put that mapclamp to use. With this setup you can expect just as much (if not a bit more) power than s2 with toys.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you see my sig I have the FPR mod. 80 psi one . Should drop my a/f by at least a point. Supposed to make stage one injectors flow like stage 2. Without a return line. I did look at the Agp return line before I bought.

Right now my a/f ratio is at about 11.4 to 11.6 at 14 lbs at redline. If I get a good 1 point drop I should be able to hold 15 to 16 at redline with small room to clamp . Time will tell. Kinda cold here in Ohio to get to involved in that yet.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I thought stage 2 was way rich...

And I am looking for stage two power and more.

Test and tune. I do have a wideband and I'm gonna see Aaronneon's shop when the weather gets better for my mapclamp install a great tune and some dyno time.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
so if the map clamp can't lean you out on the top end. then what will? i thought changing the voltage will lean you for the top end and your daily driving is controlled by the computer in close loop. there are a lot of people running mapclamp without a returnline and lean themself out on the top end with no problem. also, most s2 car are not lean between 3200 and 5600rpms. since i had mine before i had it tuned. i was pig rich. all because of the injectors size and the other supporting mods that made me a little richer.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2k4 you are correct. Regular driving I'm in closed loop. Computer try's and does keep my a/f at 14.7. Is amazing to watch. Computers are the bomb.

The clamp is to lean out towards redline. But you gotta know your a/f. Need a wideband. Great investment.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts