Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks to all who read my little speel here. I got a ticket tonight in my 3 week old SRT-4. Now, Im 24, and have a perfect driving record. Zero tickets in 8 plus years of driving. The cop claims that I was going 53 in a 35, but there was no way I was going that fast. I was probably doing anywhere from 47 to 50. I was definitely going about 47 when I passed him. So, one of my questions is, how accurate are their radar guns when traveling towards a car? Another thing, on the ticket, he filled out all of the information correctly accept the type of vehicle that I drive. He called my car an "SRT." Now there's an SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-10 truck and viper, all of which are TOTALLY different vehicles in shape / size / etc. Would anyone think that this mistake of his would be grounds for having the ticket thrown out? Ace didnt even bother to check my purchase info. on the vehicle (still have the temp tag on). For all he knew, I could have stolen the dang car or something and just thrown a stolen temp. tag on it. Unbelievable! Makes me feel so nice knowing that my tax dollars are going to high quality cops like this guy. He was nice and polite though. What really sucks was that I probably would have gotten a warning if I (A) was in my wife's 96 Accord, (B) was a politician or a famous person, or (C) had blonde hair and big boobs. I love American "justice." Thanks for bearing with me and listening to my rant.

Oh and another thing,
Got a buddy who got pulled over last month for doing 120 in a 65. Yeah, that's right, 55 over the speed limit. What did he get, oh, just a simple "slow down son, someone could get hurt" speech. Like I said early, I LOVE American justice.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Well, you can guess what may have happened if you were a different person or were in a different car, but the fact remains that you were speeding and he has the right to issue you a citation.

I really doubt that they would throw it out because he didn't get the exact name of the car on the ticket...

·
Registered
751 Posts
1st depends on da cop. u got a cop who does the his "JOB". also the radar is very accurate so good luck fighting it in court. I dont know what to say about the "SRT" u got one, and the judge willl prob say " do u have a srt" u will say "yes but 4" end of story u lost. i know, I have been screwed over like this too sucks
.. also this is worst possable case u still should fight it just to see what happens..
NICK

·
Registered
758 Posts
Do the have traffic school available your way? if so just do that class and keep the ticket off your record...no big deal...as for him writing srt on the ticket instead of srt4 specifically I seriously doubt the court will care less about that. Radar is pretty accurate for the most part I think.....just pay the ticket and do the class...fighting those things are dicey even if your innocent...

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can definitely get it thrown out for that...SRT4 is just a trim level...it is like if he had written down sxt for your car...it is a neon SRT4...so yes you can get it thrown out for that...you can get it thrown out for ANYTHING wrong on the ticket whatsoever...however, given that you are not a young kid and that you have a good record...I would try just asking the judge to lower the fine, drop the points, and say you are sorry blah blah blah...they can kind of tell when someone fucked up and when someone should really be given a ticket...Like *cough* *cough* most of the people on this board would have probably deserved a ticket....as to the boobs money thing I agree...my friend got pulled doing 163 in an 85...but he is rich as fuck...slipped the cop a grand and drove on without so much as a ticket...another time he got pulled over doing 80 in a 35 and had beer cans in the car and was drunker that shit...cop pulled him over, ran his shit, realized who he was and said have a good night...he peeled out in front of the cop and did 100 on the way home...the world isnt a fair place...good luck with the ticket...these things are a real cop magnet, huh?

·
Registered
296 Posts
^Don't listen to this guy. Don't think that you will when on a technicality(sp) either. Bottom line here is that you WERE speeding. Suck it up, pay your fine, and learn from your mistakes. Whatever you do, do not go into that courtroom and pretend to know the law. You WILL get your ass in a crack.

·
Registered
160 Posts
ok, here's some advice from someone in ga. I know the laws here a little better than these guys. No offense to anyone though. I have a friend that was doing 125 in a 55 on 285. He got it off his record, but he did have to do 80 hours of community service and pay 250. But did i mention that he was only 20 at the time, so he should have gotten an automatic 6 months suspension of his license. Anyways, your best bet to get it off ur license is to call the DA where you got the ticket and be polite and ask to get it reduced to a non moving violation and pay the fine. oh btw no you can't get it thrown out for the srt thing. That's ur best bet and plus u know you were speeding, whether u were going 50 or 53 speeding is speeding and he was just doing his job. U can't let a few bad cops speak for the rest. At least he wasn't an ass. I know it seems as if i'm defending them, i'm not. between 17-20 i accumulated a 3-4 page dmv record, so i don't really like cops too much, but I do know they have a job to do like the rest of us.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I'm from Kennesaw. U? Is the DA the same thing as the city court that I have a phone number for on the ticket? U know what else sucks about this is that I chose to take a different route home like 5 min. before I got the ticket. Guess I could play "what if" all night long. Nicely paved road, no one in front of me, crusing with the windows down on a beautiful 65 degree early fall night. Another thing that kinda irritated me was the cop's speed. Now, I'm no human radar detector, but he was coming up on me pretty fast. Fast enough to the point that I didnt even know it was a cop till he was right next to me. I think I'll just take the see if I can get it reduced approach, 1st w/o a court appearance, and then, if I have to, I'll go to court and see if I can do the driving class option if the judge will reduce the speed to less than 15 over, which means that no points go my license, but a fine (who cares about a fine anyway, i'll pay 500 bucks to keep points off my record)

·
Registered
160 Posts
i'm from forest park. Yeah call the number on the ticket and ask for the da, if she's not located in the same building, they'll give u the number. Be nice and ask nice, more than likely, esp. with a "clean" record they'll reduce it. Make sure not to lie about your record, not saying it's not clean, but even the parking ticket u got will show up, and then they'll say no, but even without a perfect record if u come clean and ask nice they'll play ball just to keep you out of court. it helps u out by reducing it and it helps the da cause they have less cases in court and they still get money which is all they care about anyways.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They would not dismiss the ticket unless it was a gross mistake like if they had your red SRT-4 wrote down as a blue mustang for example.

You could try this program i have bought it but never had a chance to see if it works hehe.

http://www.beatmyspeedingticket.com/speeding_ticket.html

For radar what it says in a nutshell is when you go to court you don't attack the fact if the cop was correct or not but you attack the radar gun.

The first question would be to ask if the radar gun was carburated that day using the two tuning forks that come with his radar gun. They are suppose to keep notes each day they tune the gun. If they can't provide the notes for that day you would ask for the case to be dismissed on grounds of not knowing if the gun was accurate. Though some states are trying to close this loophole.

http://www.policeone.com/police-technology/radar/articles/80169/

If they can provide notes that the gun was carburated that day with a tuning fork or forks then you attack if the tuning forks themselfs are accurate. If a tuning fork is dropped, scratched, exposed to alot of heat etc they might not be accurate thus the gun would not be accurate.

Forks used to calibrate radar guns have to be certified by a state agency every so often. I forgot just how often. I forgot just how often as i can't find the paperwork just now. But if they do not have proof with them when you go to court on when the forks were carburated and it's doubtfull they will then you move for the case to be dismissed again.

·
Premium Member
4,869 Posts
The fact you said he was a nice cop was just the skim of it. The fact he wrote down you were going 20mph+ over the speed limit and all he did was give you a ticket means he was REAL nice. I dunno about there, but here anything 20mph and above the cop is suppose to write you up for wreckless driving, cuff you to take you to jail, and also have the vehicle towed at your expense. Then you have to pay to get the car out of tow yard to get your vehicle back. I havent been pulled over in the srt-4, but was pulled over several times in my last car. My last car I had many mods so the cops picked on me because of the "type" of people who drove all fixed up cars. The cops needed money and well they were trying there best to give out tickets. Basically I knew how to test there truthfulness. First when pulled over ask to please see the radar gun. If the cop says you cant because of firearms inside the vehicle then just ask them to cuff you and let you look..that problem is solved. If the cop is lying which at times they are there probably wont even be anything on the radar. This means case thrown out automatically cause there is no proof. If you ask to see radar it HAS to be on the radar in order for the victim to see it. If in fact there is a speed limit on there and you still think it is wrong then ask him when his shift began. They will ask why....ask them if they recalibrated there radar gun when there shift began because by law here the cop has to calibrate there gun at beginning of every shift...only take 5 minutes. So those are a few things to do if you thing you are in the right. I have gotten out of so many because of stupid cops thinking "oh there is a fixed up car lets try to get something on that one."

·
Registered
182 Posts
chadpartin said:
ok, here's some advice from someone in ga. I know the laws here a little better than these guys. No offense to anyone though. I have a friend that was doing 125 in a 55 on 285. He got it off his record, but he did have to do 80 hours of community service and pay 250. But did i mention that he was only 20 at the time, so he should have gotten an automatic 6 months suspension of his license. Anyways, your best bet to get it off ur license is to call the DA where you got the ticket and be polite and ask to get it reduced to a non moving violation and pay the fine. oh btw no you can't get it thrown out for the srt thing. That's ur best bet and plus u know you were speeding, whether u were going 50 or 53 speeding is speeding and he was just doing his job. U can't let a few bad cops speak for the rest. At least he wasn't an ass. I know it seems as if i'm defending them, i'm not. between 17-20 i accumulated a 3-4 page dmv record, so i don't really like cops too much, but I do know they have a job to do like the rest of us.
man 125 in a 55 zone? thats going pretty dam fast, one question if your going to go that fast and get caught as soon as you pass the cop why don't u just downshift and floor it, i mean fuck your already going 125, there is no way he is getting your plate, the max speed of the dam cop car is most likely around 130mph, if it is your standerd crown vic, or cruiser. Once the cop gets your speed puts the gun down and gets ready to chase its proboly been 2 or 3 seconds and you travel pretty far in 2-3 seconds at that speed accelerating not only that but if your accelerating at that point you will probly already be going faster then the cops max speed anyways, i figure just keep it up down the highway for another 3 or 4 minutes and then turn off and get your ass into a store or house or garage or something, i mean fuck what the hell is the point of pulling over if you are going to go that fast anyways most liekly you are going to go to jail for going that fast so why not put up a fight that u have a dam good chance of winning, if you use a little inginuity, and if you do get caught in the end, just say your were a dumbass and you were going so fast and focused on the road that you didn't even notice the cop that tried to pull you over to start with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, my buddy doing the insane 120 in a 65 didnt run for a very good reason. He never saw the cop until it was too late. What happened was that he gunned his car on the onramp and got up to the 120 mark on the highway and gradually slowed down until he was back to about 70 mph. It took the cop about 10 miles of slowly creeping up on him to finally catch him. By the time he got pulled over, he was wandering "what is this all about" since he hadnt been speeding for almost ten minutes. At this point, he couldnt run, like he has done SO MANY TIMES BEFORE.

Another thing I noticed on the ticket, the cop didnt even record my address correctly. He wrote down a street name that doesnt exist and he didnt bother to record my APT #, despite the fact that I CLEARLY told him the number. I have just recently moved, so the address on the license is different than my new one. He actually combined my old address and current one, and made up an entirely new street. As you can see, he is very well trained officer of the law and obviously takes his job very seriously. Anyone think this could be grounds for getting this thrown out? Probably not, but worth asking.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
JAYRT4 said:
man 125 in a 55 zone? thats going pretty dam fast, one question if your going to go that fast and get caught as soon as you pass the cop why don't u just downshift and floor it, i mean fuck your already going 125, there is no way he is getting your plate, the max speed of the dam cop car is most likely around 130mph, if it is your standerd crown vic, or cruiser. Once the cop gets your speed puts the gun down and gets ready to chase its proboly been 2 or 3 seconds and you travel pretty far in 2-3 seconds at that speed accelerating not only that but if your accelerating at that point you will probly already be going faster then the cops max speed anyways, i figure just keep it up down the highway for another 3 or 4 minutes and then turn off and get your ass into a store or house or garage or something, i mean fuck what the hell is the point of pulling over if you are going to go that fast anyways most liekly you are going to go to jail for going that fast so why not put up a fight that u have a dam good chance of winning, if you use a little inginuity, and if you do get caught in the end, just say your were a dumbass and you were going so fast and focused on the road that you didn't even notice the cop that tried to pull you over to start with.

<sarcasim> Yeah, thats good advice. </sarcasim>

·
Registered
129 Posts
If your state is anything like mine, In a few days you should receive solicitations from the traffic lawyers. Usually 75-100 bucks and they take care of the tkt for you. Even if you have to pay the fine, you usually end up with no points. If you decide to go to court, 3 piece suit works wonders. I always get asked if I'm counsel. lol. BTW, I got 'Safe driver' on my license and I've been stopped at speeds I don't want to admit to in a public forum. Luckily, I haven't been stopped in my SRT. It attracts way too much attention so I'm on my best behavior.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When Shaun had the car 3 weeks, he got pulled over for 105 in a 35. Cop let him go with an agreeance that Shaun would do some work on his 03 Cobra. The next weekend, we ran into him off duty and took him for a "ride". He was pretty cool.

The day before Nats this year, Shaun got pulled over doing 130+ in a 35 in morning traffic. The cop was taking a nap on a side road and he said it sounded like "a freight train was gonna come through his door" (thanx AGP, external dump waste gate with big turbo kit). Got no moving violation tickets, just improper muffler (thrown out of court), no proof of insurance (card on hand had expired 3 days ago, new card at the house, thrown out of court), and no registration (thrown out of court because the car was sold when we finally went to court). And the best part was watching the DA'a assistant getting charged with Contemp of Court when Shaun disputed the improper muffler with proof of no factory muffler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.