Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is nitrous flamable? The reason I ask is because I got this idiot corperal on duty with me that thinks that nitrous is not flammable. If you could also give the why and how that would be great.

·
Registered
525 Posts
at about 550*F the oxygen and nitrogen separate and then the oxygen because combustable, but in its stable state it is not

·
Registered
99 Posts
non flammable gas

DOT Label (USA) : NFG

DOT Hazard class (USA) : Non flammable Gas

Major hazard : Supports Combustion and Suffocation

Flammability limits in air (STP conditions) : Strong Oxidiser

So... N2O is a non flammable gas that supports combustion.

BTW - Oxygen also is a non flammable gas (not 'combustible').

'Idiot Corporal' pwns.

·
Registered
525 Posts

O= oxygen, which is not a noble gas, (rightmost vertical row), thus making it an unstable volitile gas=UNSTABLE...simple chemistry 101 :clap:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Joke? Why am I missing the humour?

Nice picture, but the question was 'is nitrous flammable.'

The answer is... no.

A why and how was also requested.

Unlike other gases and chemicals, oxygen is not flammable. Oxygen supports combustion.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
at 575 degrees the nitrous and the oxygen separate, give the engine more oxygen for combustion (when mixed with fuel, the real powermaker)

·
Registered
525 Posts
neonmarine said:
at 575 degrees the nitrous and the oxygen separate, give the engine more oxygen for combustion (when mixed with fuel, the real powermaker)
thats what i was getting at. nitrous is a stable compound in normal temps, but once it separates, it gets violent :flame: basically the maf (in a dry case) or fuel in the wet case sends more fuel i thought that part didnt need explaining

·
Registered
13,260 Posts
its an oxidizer, meaning that it aids in combustion, however its not flamable because in its own form it does not combust. however, i would advise keeping it away from flames because it can be RAPIDLY become flamable if in teh right circumstances

·
Registered
99 Posts
OK, this is crazy. Stop. Listen.

Here I have chemical engineer Dr. Spanno, PhD from Princeton University, and Armand Prinze, physicist at the Princeton laser facility.
Neither of these guys has any idea what a naked woman looks like, except what they've seen on the internet.

We'll ask them some simple questions.

srtpato: Hey guys, is N2O flammable?

brainiacks: No.

srtpato: So... what are those big nitrous explosions I see at Etown?

brains: Rapidly oxidising fuel.

me: So nitrous does burn?

brains: No.

srtpato: Some guy on the internet said that Oxygen (O) is not a Noble gas.

brains: And?

srtpato: Ummm... I dunno. But that sounded pretty smart. Now be honest... N2O is flammble. Right?

me: Can nitrous 'RAPIDLY become flammable?'

me: Is Oxy-Clean any good?

brains: At cleaning? Yes. And it tastes good, too. Now where are those chicks you promised us?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're kidding, right?

Can someone please delete this thread before more educated people from... say... BMWforums.com find it?

I can hear it now -

'I just got smoked by a Neon!'
'Don't worry, it was probably the SRT-4 - the sedan version of a short bus.'
'Huh?'
'Here. Read this thread on NOS'
'Ha ha. They're idiots. Not only is their grammar, spelling and punctuation horrible, but they don't even understand simple concepts. Check out the post with the periodic table. Noble gases. Ha ha. Even the guy who seems like he might have a slight clue is an idiot because he keeps posting. Oh, boy, this is funny. Morons. I don't feel bad any more.'

·
Registered
525 Posts
first off, i never said the COMPOUND N20 is flamable/combustable, once separated the unstable oxygen molecules act as an accelerant with fuel
second, this is simple chemistry, any idiot should know why a compound forms with two unstable (non noble gas) elements.
third, dude this is a car enthusiast forum, particularly in the interest of nitrous oxide, not a literature forum, so stop being a

but seriously ive seen no postitive contributions made on your part to the discussion, only flaming and pointless posting

·
Registered
99 Posts
:crying: HennyTime5 - I pray for you.

My wife spit Fresca out her nose reading your posts.

Please PM me so I don't have to spank you in public.

Original poster - I hope you know the answer by now.

Me - I guess I have too much free time.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Flames everwhere

Take it from me nos is super cumbustibal i know cause i seen it xplode out my huge hood scoop (the biggest eva!).

flames everywhere huge flames and thats combuston, my man.

please dont' flame me my car already did

·
Registered
617 Posts
sti_zee said:
Take it from me nos is super cumbustibal i know cause i seen it xplode out my huge hood scoop (the biggest eva!).

flames everywhere huge flames and thats combuston, my man.

please dont' flame me my car already did
troll

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright, so basically it's not combustable because the nitrogen makes it stable. But once you seperate it, then the oxygen is what burns. all the nitrogen does is cool things down. So now that that's said, yes it is because if you want to split those kind of hairs then gas is not combustable only the fumes are. When i pass electrical current through it, it will explode.
I decided to try my own experiment. I took a can filled with nitrous oxide and passed electrcal current through it. Yes it did explode. To me that says that it's combustable.

·
Banned
742 Posts
Cool.

Post a movie of that experiment.

Hennytime can put a large, colorful periodic table in the back and then take over camera duties.

But be careful, 'cause there's a lot of oxygen in the atmosphere, so don't blow up the world!

Sti!Z! = monster pro mod hood scoop. BIG!

·
Banned
742 Posts
OK, looks like you're in the service, so I'll be nice.

Go read post #3 (GrammerNazi).

Read it until it makes sense.

There. You're done.

Henny - feel free to chime in with noble nonsense, but please, only pictures of hot chicks, not tables. Thanks.

STI - hood scoop madness

1 - 20 of 28 Posts