Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 04 SRT-4 on Marketplace with 135,000 miles. The seller claims: "Mostly stock other then cold air intake and hks BOV. Factory exhaust. No transmission grinds or issues. Mopar stage 1 from factory. Heat and A/C work. Brand new tires. Daily driven. Garage kept in winter. All lights work. No check engine light. Needs rear struts but still driveable. Not beat on, adult owned." It also clearly has some sun damage on the paint. They are asking $7K for it but I'm not sure how much it's actually worth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This is not correct. He is either misinformed or feeding you a line.
In 2003 the stage 1 kit included the 577cc injectors and the upgraded PCM.
For 2004/2005 the 577cc injectors came stock with the car, so the stage 1 kit was just the upgraded PCM.
They did not sell the SRT-4 with stage kits from the factory, ever. You had to purchase the stage kits separate.
Now he may have purchased it immediately and had the dealership install it with the car when new, but that would be the closest to "factory" as you could get.
If it is a true stage 1 car, the PCM would have a sticker on it that states "Stage 1 Turbo" and a statement about not being used on pollution controlled vehicles.
Unfortunately to check this you have to remove the PCM as the sticker is on the backside, and sometimes the sticker has either been removed or fallen off, being now 17-19 years later.

View attachment 147197

As far as the price, prices have been going up in the last year or so on the online trader sites for the SRT-4 Neon, likely because we're reached that point where the "honda bois" type SRT-4s have been rodded to death or crashed, and there are fewer models left to sell, and they may be in better shape, hard to say.

It would be nice if the guy had some better photos, the engine bay looks terrible, the paint is bad, painted rims look cheap, aftermarket headlights, hopefully the interior looks better. I don't know where the car is located so hard to make a judgment on rust, but there appears to be no holes in the usual areas.

7k may seem reasonable based on what you see online, but given the wear and tear, I suspect the interior likely has some similar issues, I'd start at 5k and see where that gets you.
The guy just said he'd take 6K. And the car is located in Ohio. The guy said Stage 1 when I asked him again and said that it was making 18 PSI from factory instead of 12 PSI like factory. Then again, it may be a kit and he just doesn't realize it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is not correct. He is either misinformed or feeding you a line.
In 2003 the stage 1 kit included the 577cc injectors and the upgraded PCM.
For 2004/2005 the 577cc injectors came stock with the car, so the stage 1 kit was just the upgraded PCM.
They did not sell the SRT-4 with stage kits from the factory, ever. You had to purchase the stage kits separate.
Now he may have purchased it immediately and had the dealership install it with the car when new, but that would be the closest to "factory" as you could get.
If it is a true stage 1 car, the PCM would have a sticker on it that states "Stage 1 Turbo" and a statement about not being used on pollution controlled vehicles.
Unfortunately to check this you have to remove the PCM as the sticker is on the backside, and sometimes the sticker has either been removed or fallen off, being now 17-19 years later.

View attachment 147197

As far as the price, prices have been going up in the last year or so on the online trader sites for the SRT-4 Neon, likely because we're reached that point where the "honda bois" type SRT-4s have been rodded to death or crashed, and there are fewer models left to sell, and they may be in better shape, hard to say.

It would be nice if the guy had some better photos, the engine bay looks terrible, the paint is bad, painted rims look cheap, aftermarket headlights, hopefully the interior looks better. I don't know where the car is located so hard to make a judgment on rust, but there appears to be no holes in the usual areas.

7k may seem reasonable based on what you see online, but given the wear and tear, I suspect the interior likely has some similar issues, I'd start at 5k and see where that gets you.
Here's the interior, looks pretty immaculate for the price of $6K. No cracks or chips on the dash and no tears on the seats.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its hard to find these cars "Stock". I just bought mine from a buddy and it had issues from the owner before him. I been wanting one of these cars since 2004 so i made him sell it to me since it was sitting in the garage. Im glad these things are cheap and easy to work on.
The main reason why people sell the modded ones are because they can't keep them running and they cost too much to keep working on. The main thing to look out for is if they say they just put new parts in it and are now just selling it. The ones with over 400 HP are ticking time bombs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably just have to test drive it at this point. You thinking of going for it?
I was going to go for it, but I test drove one a week before and the guy selling the one from before said he wasn't ready to sell it yet because he was looking for a daily. The guy just messaged me on Sunday saying he's ready to sell it in the next week or two and was coming to me first because I was the first person to see it in person. It has no issues at all mechanically except for needing the e-brake adjusted and some minor paint fade and a small chip on the lip. It has only 100K miles and a southern car so it has no rust and said he would take $6K. Below is a picture of the one I saw a week ago.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
SRT-4s are even higher. A year ago you could generally find 10 to 12 SRT4's under 6k on autotrader/cargurus/etc.

In the last few months there hasn't been really anything under 10k.

I even checked nationwide craigstlist and didn't find anything under 5k last week.

I'm wondering if we've reached the point where all the "honda boi" SRT-4s (buy em dirt cheap and rod the hell out of them, wreck/blown up) are gone, and we are going to only see the ones taken care of from here on out.

The prices going up has me torn. Owning a mint SRT-4, I start thinking crazy that maybe they will become collectible... but wanting to buy one for my son in a couple years has me thinking "Oh SHXX why didn't I buy another one earlier?"
Exactly, I remember seeing them for about $4K a few years ago with only 120K miles. Now, those same ones can be sold for $7K and sell within a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.