Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at an 04 SRT-4 on Marketplace with 135,000 miles. The seller claims: "Mostly stock other then cold air intake and hks BOV. Factory exhaust. No transmission grinds or issues. Mopar stage 1 from factory. Heat and A/C work. Brand new tires. Daily driven. Garage kept in winter. All lights work. No check engine light. Needs rear struts but still driveable. Not beat on, adult owned." It also clearly has some sun damage on the paint. They are asking $7K for it but I'm not sure how much it's actually worth.

·
Super Moderator
15,844 Posts
Mopar stage 1 from factory.
This is not correct. He is either misinformed or feeding you a line.
In 2003 the stage 1 kit included the 577cc injectors and the upgraded PCM.
For 2004/2005 the 577cc injectors came stock with the car, so the stage 1 kit was just the upgraded PCM.
They did not sell the SRT-4 with stage kits from the factory, ever. You had to purchase the stage kits separate.
Now he may have purchased it immediately and had the dealership install it with the car when new, but that would be the closest to "factory" as you could get.
If it is a true stage 1 car, the PCM would have a sticker on it that states "Stage 1 Turbo" and a statement about not being used on pollution controlled vehicles.
Unfortunately to check this you have to remove the PCM as the sticker is on the backside, and sometimes the sticker has either been removed or fallen off, being now 17-19 years later.

As far as the price, prices have been going up in the last year or so on the online trader sites for the SRT-4 Neon, likely because we're reached that point where the "honda bois" type SRT-4s have been rodded to death or crashed, and there are fewer models left to sell, and they may be in better shape, hard to say.

It would be nice if the guy had some better photos, the engine bay looks terrible, the paint is bad, painted rims look cheap, aftermarket headlights, hopefully the interior looks better. I don't know where the car is located so hard to make a judgment on rust, but there appears to be no holes in the usual areas.

7k may seem reasonable based on what you see online, but given the wear and tear, I suspect the interior likely has some similar issues, I'd start at 5k and see where that gets you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
For 2004/2005 the 577cc injectors came stock with the car, so the stage 1 kit was just the upgraded PCM.
They did not sell the SRT-4 with stage kits from the factory, ever. You had to purchase the stage kits separate.
Now he may have purchased it immediately and had the dealership install it with the car when new, but that would be the closest to "factory" as you could get.
If it is a true stage 1 car, the PCM would have a sticker on it that states "Stage 1 Turbo" and a statement about not being used on pollution controlled vehicles.
Unfortunately to check this you have to remove the PCM as the sticker is on the backside, and sometimes the sticker has either been removed or fallen off, being now 17-19 years later.

View attachment 147197

As far as the price, prices have been going up in the last year or so on the online trader sites for the SRT-4 Neon, likely because we're reached that point where the "honda bois" type SRT-4s have been rodded to death or crashed, and there are fewer models left to sell, and they may be in better shape, hard to say.

It would be nice if the guy had some better photos, the engine bay looks terrible, the paint is bad, painted rims look cheap, aftermarket headlights, hopefully the interior looks better. I don't know where the car is located so hard to make a judgment on rust, but there appears to be no holes in the usual areas.

7k may seem reasonable based on what you see online, but given the wear and tear, I suspect the interior likely has some similar issues, I'd start at 5k and see where that gets you.
The guy just said he'd take 6K. And the car is located in Ohio. The guy said Stage 1 when I asked him again and said that it was making 18 PSI from factory instead of 12 PSI like factory. Then again, it may be a kit and he just doesn't realize it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

View attachment 147197

Here's the interior, looks pretty immaculate for the price of $6K. No cracks or chips on the dash and no tears on the seats.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In my area, the modded out clapped ones go for about $5K, some guy tried to sell me one for $5.5K. The good running ones that aren't modded go for $6K-$8K.
Its hard to find these cars "Stock". I just bought mine from a buddy and it had issues from the owner before him. I been wanting one of these cars since 2004 so i made him sell it to me since it was sitting in the garage. Im glad these things are cheap and easy to work on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its hard to find these cars "Stock". I just bought mine from a buddy and it had issues from the owner before him. I been wanting one of these cars since 2004 so i made him sell it to me since it was sitting in the garage. Im glad these things are cheap and easy to work on.
The main reason why people sell the modded ones are because they can't keep them running and they cost too much to keep working on. The main thing to look out for is if they say they just put new parts in it and are now just selling it. The ones with over 400 HP are ticking time bombs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The main reason why people sell the modded ones are because they can't keep them running and they cost too much to keep working on. The main thing to look out for is if they say they just put new parts in it and are now just selling it. The ones with over 400 HP are ticking time bombs.
Yeah im just glad mine just has transmission issues. Witch im just gonna put a another trans in it all together. Its plenty fast the way it is for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,844 Posts
Yeah im just glad mine just has transmission issues. Witch im just gonna put a another trans in it all together. Its plenty fast the way it is for me.
That's the worst issue to have actually. The engines are a dime a dozen because they are also in the PT cruiser. The transmission is the weak link in the SRT-4 Neon unfortunately, and can cost 2500 to more than 3k for a good reman.

***EDIT: Let me clarify, in the engine bay that's the worst thing to have. Obviously a rusty messed up body or wrecked car is even worse, or even a destroyed interior.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's the worst issue to have actually. The engines are a dime a dozen because they are also in the PT cruiser. The transmission is the weak link in the SRT-4 Neon unfortunately, and can cost 2500 to more than 3k for a good reman.

***EDIT: Let me clarify, in the engine bay that's the worst thing to have. Obviously a rusty messed up body or wrecked car is even worse, or even a destroyed interior.
Yeah it still drives but it has the 3rd gear grind/pop out and the every blue moon first gear grind. And down shifting from 4th to 3rd is a hell no.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That clean (possibly) interior pic the OP showed is a great trick from sellers to “not” show torn seats on the side.
I’ve seen that a lot. Seats look great from that angle and you see it in person and that side bolster is torn to hell. I hate when people do that.
How that’s not the case with this one!

·
Super Moderator
15,844 Posts
I have the SRS (airbag) seats, but over the past 10 years or so i started getting in very carefully even with those.

The Viper seats get that way from rubbing as the person gets in and out, it can happen to any vinyl/leather/pleather seat though, hence why I will now carefully try to get one foot out the door, put weight on that foot and push off the 20 dollar walmart floormat that I have covering my OEM mat LOL. This past 3 years I put on about 30 lbs (probably more, I don't even want to get on the scale lol) so I've really been trying to be careful.

·
Super Moderator
15,844 Posts
The guy just said he'd take 6K. And the car is located in Ohio. The guy said Stage 1 when I asked him again and said that it was making 18 PSI from factory instead of 12 PSI like factory. Then again, it may be a kit and he just doesn't realize it.
Probably just have to test drive it at this point. You thinking of going for it?

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Like RT said, there's lots from the photos that don't match up with an asking price-point of $7k. Shit paint, blown rear struts (probably needs strut mounts too) bring the asking price down, and that engine bay's filthy. I see rust on every bolt and many surfaces in that engine bay. Wonder how crusty the underbody is.

"not beat on"; what a crock of BS. It's an SRT-4. It's been cold-revved, and driven hard, period. How hard remains to be seen.

Just because the current owner is into the car for $X, doesn't mean it's worth $X. SRT-4s in decent running order with minimum mods in fantastic condition go for $4-6k Canadian around here. They may get listed for more, but after a few months the owners realize they're over-valuing a 15-year-old car with a very narrow audience appeal. The car you're showing us would be a $3500CAD car all day long or less, stock or not.

If you are going to go SRT-4 hunting, take this list with you: Thinking of buying a 1st gen SRT-4? Read this.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is the right car will come along.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't be scared to make an off is all I can say. Test drive it, check it out and if you like it offer up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah that cars definitely not worth 7k. At the most 5k. Good solid price would be 4k-4.3k. That’s just my opinion. Especially seeing what’s out there for sale on OfferUp, Craigslist, etc...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably just have to test drive it at this point. You thinking of going for it?
I was going to go for it, but I test drove one a week before and the guy selling the one from before said he wasn't ready to sell it yet because he was looking for a daily. The guy just messaged me on Sunday saying he's ready to sell it in the next week or two and was coming to me first because I was the first person to see it in person. It has no issues at all mechanically except for needing the e-brake adjusted and some minor paint fade and a small chip on the lip. It has only 100K miles and a southern car so it has no rust and said he would take $6K. Below is a picture of the one I saw a week ago.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
The clearcoat is notorious on the reds for going all to hell. If it's in that good a shape it's either been sheltered at the least, or garaged at the best most of it's life.

Just from that single shot the red has modified suspension; that is not the stock 4x4 ride height. Foglight covers can be snagged off Rock Auto when they have stock.

Is that a dent on the hood in front of the scoop? Hopefully paintless dent removal can pull it out.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Used car prices are up 13% from last year take that into consideration.

I wouldn't want that black one. Too rough. You are going to have to travel for the right one. All the local Neon SRT's for sale around here are very rough when they do pop up. Most of them in general are in bad shape and have had multiple owners. Oh and they continue to get wrecked and parted out. So very slim pickings!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts