Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After jerking around with aftermarket wheels and various sizes of spacers, I have decided to go back to stock wheels. I spent a lot of time and energy on this, wheels off, spacers on, wheels back on, etc. Remember, each one is now 10 lug nuts! My main reason was I don’t like the matte black powder coat that the previous owner did. I found a place in Elk Grove Village that will powder coat them any color and clear coat them, or something new to me: CERMIC TUMBLE POLISH them and clear coat, they will shine almost like chrome (I have included pics of their work). Then I will be able to lower the Coilovers a little and I will have the look I want which is stock but custom. I don’t autocross or canyon carve, most of my driving is IL county roads so I don’t care about wider tires. With the Coilovers lowered, bigger sway bars, brakes, front and rear strut bars it handles great anyway. Plus the money I would have spent on tires will now go into making more HP! That all being said, I will be selling my current chrome wheels in the spring. They are like new with maybe 1k miles on them and have several coats of ceramic wax on them.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive tire Kitchen appliance Automotive lighting Fluid Cosmetics
Photograph Automotive design Hood Light Product
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Light Automotive design
Wheel Purple Automotive tire Light Violet
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am considering changing them to white. Never had white before but have thought about it on my other cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've been thru the mill with those wheels, no doubt.
And you didn't give up easy.

I personally like the stock wheels.
I wish I'd kept mine.
I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season +3 tyres.
If you can get them in 205 x 50 x 17 (if I remember correctly).
They wear well, grip even better even in the wet and handle country roads.
(mine are 225 x 45 x 17 on the 7.5" Centerline Storms).

But I do like my Centerline Storms.
For the weight redux (14 lbs) mainly plus they are forged.
But they look decent after 17 years with not much polish.
I think I was incredibly lucky.
But I did follow others advice here on what size and offset to get.

I'm not crazy about white wheels.
I always felt they looked a bit odd.
One time I accidently offended a fellow with an OB SRT-4.
He put white wheels on it and I said it looked like a butterscotch ice cream.
He was cool about it when I told him my favorite ice cream was pralines and cream.
But anyway to each his/her own.
It would be boring as hell if everyone's car looked the same, wouldn't it.

Also I really hate matt black wheels on any car, looks like poor, "east european" to me.
I saw a Tesla the other day with the uggliest matt black wheels I've ever seen.

Keep up the great work you are doing.
Thanks Simon, I do like the idea of light weight wheels too. However, I also think that by having silver stock wheels it will be even more rare Due to most SRT’s having aftermarket or painted black stock wheels!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My biggest complaint with the stock wheels (other than being too narrow, which is obvious) is the offset is off. They are set too far into the car. I seriously considered putting 1 in spacers on mine, just never got around to it.
I agree but that also allows it to be lowered without rubbing on the fenders as easy. Since I already bought several different sized spacers, I might put 3mm spacers on the front using the stock wheel studs, and 15mm bolt on spacers on the rears to give it a staggered look. I will be selling my set of four 25mm bolt on hubcentric and two 5mm slip on hubcentric spacers, all are like new.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There was a guy here in NorCa, BlazinSRT whose SRT-4 had chrome plated wheels.
It was a dealer install option from the dealership he bought it from in Modesto, CA.
They looked good, but after a while, the chrome plate started to peel a little.
I'll see if I can find a picture of his car with those wheels.

Speaking of Blazin, David was an amazingly good mechanic.
He and Jeff Lepper toether with John, installed my Stage 3 Turbo in 2004.
I installed the Toys myself but I think the guys were getting impatient as it was the first S3 in Cali..
Never had any trouble with the S3R since this work was done.

Narrow, stock wheels just MAY have some advantages that run contra to conventional/tribal wisdom.
Narrower tyres MAY, depending on the rubber grade and the siping, tend to avoid hydroplaning in the wet.
And narrower tyres MAY help avoid premature CV joint wear or even breakage.
But everyone always insists wider is better because they insist that it is.
There's probably other good reasons why Mopar used narrow wheels, not just to avoid rubbing issues.
One advantage is smaller wheels/tires weigh less, cost less, and have less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a picture of Blazin's car (I think) with the chromed wheels circa 2006.
I'm pretty sure it's his car because of the clear corners he also had.
Not a great picture, perhaps, but you may get the idea.
I don't think he had any spacers on there at the time.
Looks pretty tasty to me.
View attachment 148497
That is the first pic of them I have seen on an SRT4, and it looks like he also has the SXT spoiler like I do. I like it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts