Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i have a tube running from the air filter to the bottom of the wheel well and then filtered with a sick, would that increase horsepower?

ive done this, feel a slight diference, but just curious if it is possible

(btw the tube is the diameter of the stock tubing, and flexible so u can bend it any way u want :ninja:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I think sand will probably go through a sock. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
no need to filter it.. and your stock works fine it uses that big opening in your fender as a cold air inlet.. the only choke point is that little piece that goes from your stock box into the fender

·
Banned
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a thick sock, but thanks for the opinion

do u think it would increase performance though

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
seriously i think its going to hinder it puting a sock on the end of a tube that goes up to your stock intake.. or not do anything at all.. maybe i am seeing this wrong

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Sorry, I missed the part about having your stock air filter in place. Just remove the sock. The sock will increase the resistance to airflow (not flow as well) and should perform worse.

·
Registered
360 Posts
the gains youll see are not worth having the "ghetto mod" stigma associated with your car in my opinion. youll get what maybe 1hp. you'd be better off doing the hood mod and making it look clean with rubber trim around the holes.

ive been with this car since it came out in 03 and have been modding it since and really what ve found (after doing a bunch of welfare mods) is the ghetto shit works well for a while but they never look right and they are tempoary. i think its better saving and doing things right even if the things you can afford to buy wont give you huge gains atleast they will be respectable and look good. besides now a days when you can buy wga's and stuff used for like 100 bucks their realy isnt much of an excuse to use gehtto mods.

just my .02

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
dgillie said:
there is no air filter though just a tube with a sock on the end

i am not trying to bash you but i highly recomend that stock would be your better option. and using an actual filter.. socks were not designed for this type of application. filters are made (even the poorly designed ones) to catch the stuff that "socks" wont. also 90% of performance air filters are oiled to catch the small stuff that you would normally not think of..

·
Banned
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i can afford parts
just bored and wanted to try something, besides if it worked i would have invested some cash into making it look better

but for those reading there is no air filter on just a tube with a sock on the end

will it work?

·
Registered
360 Posts
in that case is that 1hp worth the possible disaster that could happen on a rainy day? or driving through a dusty road or construction area? dont take this the wrong way im just trying to save you having to ovehaull your shit in a couple years. theres a dozen other ways that will make more power safer.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
in all seriousness about "will it work" yes it will work.. will it be effective enough to do for a cheap hp mod... no

the only time i would put a sock on the end of my intake track is if my filter died on me (ran it over or something) and i needed something temperary until i got to an auto parts store to buy an actual filter. do me a favor.. put sand in an air filter that you plan on throwing away and then put sand in a sock.. tell me what one traps more sand... now imagine smaller particles that are in the air..

just my .02

·
Registered
218 Posts
I used the same type of set up on a V8 dodge dakota but I had it comming out through the grill it was a 3" dryer vent hose. But I would only run it at the drag strip and w/out the sock because it almost sucked it into the throttle body.It will gain alittle HP I saw about .2 better ET. I dont think it is a good idea to run it on the street that way because fine dust particles will still make it through the sock.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
also there has been tons of research and most have found the stock air box actually keeps better hp than some intakes made professionally to produce more hp and stock out performs.... so i highly doubt that your home made contraption is going to do that much of a difference

·
Registered
360 Posts
well im sure the sock is rubberbanded on, so no chance at all of it getting sucked through. and as for the stock air box if its so good, then adding on to it or should i say improving on it should make it even better. :lol: :rofl:

seriously most of everyone who has answered you is a veteran (stupid wish but i wish i still used my old name so i could have my little "2" next to it) and have all tried the b.s mod's. if like you say you have the money to buy the mods, then do that youll be happier, and if you dont want to spend it on the car then keep it the way it is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts