Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What car/s would you predict to be future muscle cars in the future :?: (15-30 yrs from now of course). From all the figs on the SRT-4, i would have to put it near the top for being a decent collector car (high hp, low prod. figures-for now that is).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think a muscle car has to be RWD to count.

The Mustang is doing a fine job of hanging in there. The 2005 GT model will have a 500hp supercharged engine.

Chevy and Pontiac have yet to replace the Camaro and Firebird, but when they do, those will be the next generation muscle cars.

I think it will be tough for any new car to come along a be classified as a muscle car, since the perception is so strongly tied with the afformentioned models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm sure that mrmixitup just made a mistake, but the 2005 Mustang won't have 500 hp, it's been rumored to have 400, and yes the rumors include a supercharger. But I honestly believe it won't be anything near that, more around 300 hp or so...probably utilizing the DOHC 4.6 liter from previous Cobras. Anyone agree? By the way, just signed up here....SRT-4 is a damn sweet car. Got to drive one two days ago, and I get to drive it again on Friday.

·
Registered
48 Posts
By the way, to answer your question.......I really don't think that besides the Mustang, there will be many other cars coming out as "muscle cars". The closest thing I can see would be the GTO, but even that will be more of a GT car IMO. For the money, smaller, 4 cylinder/turbo cars are just gonna be more efficient while providing similar straight-line performance, with much better handling than the "muscle cars" have ever had, relatively at least. The trends/times are changing, and we're moving away from the V-8 when it comes to sporty cars for under 30 grand. I think we should embrace this change though, as these cars move more towards overall performance, rather than just straight-line acceleration. I could be wrong though, as the Mustang will sell strongly I'm sure, and it could energize another era of Mustang/GTO? rivalries. Whatever way we go, we're pretty blessed to have such sweet cars available for the prices.

·
Registered
243 Posts
cutlass4lfe said:
I'm sure that mrmixitup just made a mistake, but the 2005 Mustang won't have 500 hp, it's been rumored to have 400, and yes the rumors include a supercharger.
I'm pretty sure I read 500 in a issue of Motor Trend. Looks like I better Google it up. Ford certainly isn't gonna stop at just the 395hp of the 2003 Cobra, that's for sure.

Speaking of which, here's a 2003 Cobra with a Kenne Bell blower making about 700whp!!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=8bdae21efe6f466234324bc9a98e21b4&threadid=32026

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
No, it won't be considered a muscle car. When I think of muscle cars I think of big V-8's, terrible gas mileage, and RWD. Not 4 bangers w/hair dryers and FWD/AWD. Don't get me wrong the SRT will go down as one of the better cars in time but I don't think it deserves muscle car status.

-faast

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
cutlass4lfe said:
I'm sure that mrmixitup just made a mistake, but the 2005 Mustang won't have 500 hp, it's been rumored to have 400, and yes the rumors include a supercharger. But I honestly believe it won't be anything near that, more around 300 hp or so...probably utilizing the DOHC 4.6 liter from previous Cobras. Anyone agree? By the way, just signed up here....SRT-4 is a damn sweet car. Got to drive one two days ago, and I get to drive it again on Friday.
With the next Cobra to compete head on with the Viper, the engine will produce in the 500HP plus range. KB has the kit that SVT will license and drop the Eaton. TG

·
Registered
48 Posts
What does everybody think of the pics of the 2005 prototype? To me, it defers way too much from what a Mustang should look like IMO. Looks too relaxed almost.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
cutlass4lfe said:
What does everybody think of the pics of the 2005 prototype? To me, it defers way too much from what a Mustang should look like IMO. Looks too relaxed almost.
Alot better than the current one I own. However, most of us here really don''t care so much about the looks but performance oriented. LOL

However, like everyone else I waiting, holding my breath before dropping a single dime in deposit on the next SRT-10 RAM. I may opt to the Magnum wagon SRT-8 or just plain wait for the SRT-10 Durango.

·
Registered
175 Posts
i dont think the srt-4 will be rememberd much at all in 10-15 years. Just look at cars like the Dodge Daytona of the 1980's . Small turbo charged 4 bangers...215hp....and they are nothing today.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
SRT-Hunter said:
i dont think the srt-4 will be rememberd much at all in 10-15 years. Just look at cars like the Dodge Daytona of the 1980's . Small turbo charged 4 bangers...215hp....and they are nothing today.
They are still feared because they can still kick butt, trust me I know several Daytona's that will leave our SRT's like they are standing still, and a couple GLHS's that will pass you like your driving in reverse. One car in particular is a '92 Daytona Iroc R/T that is cranking a cool 320 hp at the wheels and it will Rock your socks off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mrmixitup said:
The Mustang is doing a fine job of hanging in there. The 2005 GT model will have a 500hp supercharged engine.
Yeah, hold your breath on that one. Detroit concepts are always mean, but wait till they get to the showroom before you're impressed.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Auto-Xer said:
mrmixitup said:
Yeah, hold your breath on that one. Detroit concepts are always mean, but wait till they get to the showroom before you're impressed.
This is reality, unfortuanately. However, the Viper moves up a notch to the 600HP with the upcoming Hemi V-10.

Not to forget, I have already seen the next Vette (500HP) for 05 (C06 MkII)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
10 Participants
hemidakota
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing