Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you get it , and some of you must have your stupid hanging out :rofl:
Here's an interesting quote from Dontgetgot ....
" In this months issue of Sport Compact Car they tested a down pipe and lost power because of the octane rating (91 for premium in CA) after mixing like I said they gained 11 hp and like 10 pnds of torque. "

When I first posted about using Toluene with noticible results , a lot of skeptics came out of the woodwork. So I'm going to be sweet and spell it out .... again.
No matter what Dodge says in the owner's manual , the SRT-4 does NOT like to run on California's 91 octane gas. Many said that raising the octane level to only 93 would not be noticible ..... BULLSHIT. :stab: IT IS NOTICIBLE !!!! That extra two octane points makes a difference in how the car idles and pulls. It seems the SRT just wants a minimum of 93 octane to really wake up and run better.
Now ..... I am NOT suggesting using Toluene to raise the octane to 100 or above , cause that is just asking for possible problems , but adding a gallon to a full tank ( with a cap of Marvel Mystery Oil ) will , will , will make a noticible improvement over 91 octane. Once again , try it.
For those lucky bastards who can buy 93 octane and above gas at their local pump ... :tongue: You probably would not notice much difference , as I believe these cars just need to be above 91 at least a small amount. :cow:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have been telling everyone about our 91 crap since march 2003

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Sport Compact Car also had the father of our ECU's flown in from Detroit. He said that once our cars get ping our ECU's will go in to retard mode backing the timming down over 3 degrees. Our ECU's will try to restore full advance in small steps each time you start your SRT-4.

He said to reset the ECU to full advance you just have to turn your ignition (on off on off on) and you be back to full advance until you ping again.

So even if you get higher octane fuel you will not see improvement until you do your ECU reset.

If your not getting ping on 91 octane in california then you ECU must be in full retard mode.

Am I making sense?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
personally, I never noticed a difference from virginia 93oct. to california 91oct.. But I have used toluene as an additive in a few of my cars and all showed an increase in performance.
Our cars will run 91 no prob, but 93 carries more room for improvement.

SRT-4_2-25-03 said:
He said to reset the ECU to full advance you just have to turn your ignition (on off on off on) and you be back to full advance unttil you ping again.
I thought this method was only used to get engine codes and never reset the ecu?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Dark-SRT4 said:
personally, I never noticed a difference from virginia 93oct. to california 91oct.. But I have used toluene as an additive in a few of my cars and all showed an increase in performance.
Our cars will run 91 no prob, but 93 carries more room for improvement.

I thought this method was only used to get engine codes and never reset the ecu?
It gives you the trouble codes and sets ECU back to Full advance isn't that cool!

·
Registered
567 Posts
that on-off-on-off-on-off deal isn't what I read.. It's more like, you have to drive the car 3 times or something before the code is reset.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Check out page 182 in the October edition of Sport Compact Car third column. Very good information. I did the ECU reset on my car and it gained more part throttle torque. I am running Torco Fuel blend.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Or you could just disconnect your battery for 15 min...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
ToFu said:
that on-off-on-off-on-off deal isn't what I read.. It's more like, you have to drive the car 3 times or something before the code is reset.

Read it again. Your not trying to reset a code.
To reset ECU you need 3 key cycles is what I remember but I am old 45 years old.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have been using 100 octane race gas to bring my octane level up to 93.5 or better and it makes all the difference in the world for my car....when I use the crap 91 without anything to raise the octane my car pings like a mo fo....bring it up to 93+ with a ecu reset and all is good....simple as that....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts