Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
i recently installed a new 255 fuel pump and wired the clip according to the directions, but when i tend to start my car i dont hear the pump priming, but the car runs and drives no issues(other than i have to fix), has a stock canister, stock fuel system, and all wires are correct, the pump doesnt prime but it did before this project, the gas guage also doesnt read any gas in the tank(has 2 gallons or so). i haven't attempted a new relay or any of the triks ive read on the forums yet but i did not disconnect the battery or pull the relay prior to the project

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
did the gas gauge work before you replaced the fuel pump?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the stock pump primed, and gas guage worked, and when i removed the pump assembly i put tape on 1 of the wires next to power wire so i knew which wire went where. After the first start up i didnt hear prime and guage didnt work so i pulled tank down and swapped wires for the fuel leveler and still had no guage working

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
yes, the stock pump primed, and gas guage worked, and when i removed the pump assembly i put tape on 1 of the wires next to power wire so i knew which wire went where. After the first start up i didnt hear prime and guage didnt work so i pulled tank down and swapped wires for the fuel leveler and still had no guage working
the fact that you dont hear it priming is not a big concern to me, as long as the car runs and drives like it should. That tells you the pump is working and its quieter than your expected.

The gauge not working is going to be one of two things. Either you jacked up the wiring, even though you marked it, or you jacked up with fuel level sender assembly in some way. I've seen people bend or damage the arm for the float. Do you have a CEL for the fuel level sender?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the fact that you dont hear it priming is not a big concern to me, as long as the car runs and drives like it should. That tells you the pump is working and its quieter than your expected.

The gauge not working is going to be one of two things. Either you jacked up the wiring, even though you marked it, or you jacked up with fuel level sender assembly in some way. I've seen people bend or damage the arm for the float. Do you have a CEL for the fuel level sender?
no i do not have a cell for it, and everytime i pull the pump assembly out i check the level and sender so ill have to pull it down and double check everything inside the canister

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
if the sender was dead, or the wiring was not right, you should get a CEL for the sender not working. It may not come up immediately. If the wiring is correct and the sender isn't dead, that would point more towards something wrong with the float arm. When you have the assembly out of the tank, you can turn the key on and have someone watch the gauge. move the arm up and down and see if the gauge reacts. if not, keep testing until you figure out the issue, before you put it all back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts