Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... that the O2 sensor could be out of range? I've tried every gas-saving technique people have suggested in here and I still can't break 22-23mpg regardless of type of driving (city or highway). How much does the O2 sensor cost for these cars, and are they that difficult to change.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
o2 sensors aren't that hard on our cars. the one in the o2 housing is a little harder than the one in the cat. youcan get it from up top easier imo. But, these things are pretty spensive. Anywhere from 60-100 bux.

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I'll try and get the stealership to change them. I've never seen a car get such brutally consistent borderline bad mileage as this. Entire tank of around-town stop-n-go driving == 22mpg. Entire tank of highway driving doing a near-constant 70mph (cruise control on nearly the whole time, no A/C, windows up, sunroof closed) == 23mpg. :wtf: :stab: :grimrippe :deadcow:

I've only ever seen that once before in my life... when the O2 sensor in my Sundance pooped out the got 15mpg no matter what. Changed it and BAM! back up to 30mpg every tank.

·
Registered
174 Posts
dang, 20mpg sucks. If I try hard not to boost I consistantly get 27-30mpg w/52k miles on the beast, but who can resist boosting.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Mine is the same way... no matter what I do, I almost always average 21-23 mpg.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i got 32mpg the second week after i installed my wga....the wga helps remind me not to put my foot in it because of ptb

·
Registered
201 Posts
Are you throwing a code? You should spend a few bucks to check the sensors before you pluck down a wad of cash for new ones.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I normally get 23MPG in mixed driving. Drove from Columbus Ohio to Atlanta this weekend between 80-90MPH (only stopping for gas) & got between 29MPG & a little over 35MPG with 41K miles. I was impressed with that!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I get 17-18 with all city driving and maybe 1% Interstate. Plus I tend to stretch her legs alot.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Ok...The only sensor you need to change for the fuel triming is the upstream sensor, located in the O2 housing. It is accessible from the top on the passanger side, you can see it under the heat shields. The connectors are on the rear of the engine, passenger side as well. It's very easy to change. As for price, an OEM from mopar is like 35 bucks, the downstream costs more but that's only to detect cat efficency.

Now that we know how cheap it is, and how easy it to do yourself, let's breifly discuss the fuel issue. The faster you go, the more the fuel you use. The quicker you accelerate, the quicker you use fuel. If you have bigger injectors, you will NOT be using more fuel as the car will always try to keep you around 14.7-15.1 afr when not at WOT. With that being said, if you had a wideband, you could monitor you cruising afr and if they are around 14.7-15.1, the O2 sensor is fine.

When you start the car, you will use more fuel than normal because these cars use heated oxygen sensors. So, that means the pcm doesn't take a reading off them until they are fully heated. What the car does when you start it is run a generic fuel map, that runs you very rich at every rpm until it starts taking readings of the sensor. This means, the more times you start your car per gas tank, the worse the fuel mileage will be. The faster you drive during this warm-up phase, the worse the fuel mileage. The generic start-up fuel map runs afr around 12-13ish, really rich for cruising afrs.

Peace out!

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would love to install my wideband right now to check on my AFRs during cruise, but of course you know the stealership will immediately void everything once they see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts