Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got the car the fuel level gauge reads... well just wrong. Consistent but wrong.

When i fill up the tank it reads full.
At about 75 miles its half a tank.
The light comes on at about 140-175 miles (its dependent on the way ive been driving)
And I can continue until 240 miles or so.

Its very consistent. I noticed when the O2 sensor failed and was running super rich. It just reads empty and the light comes on with 4-5 gallons of fuel in the tank.

I even switch the entire sending unit with a new one from ModernPerformance and its exactly the same.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
I'm almost thinking my cluster is the problem but I am not sure which part interprets the signal.

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
this is pretty much how mine acts, except it never truly shows full. Mine started acting this what with the fuel canister i put in.

You can test the fuel level sending unit by measuring the resistance that comes out of it. the resistance changes based on the position of the floater arm. You'd have to do some searching to find out what those resistance values should be.

Reactions: Jollykreiger

·
Super Moderator
15,927 Posts
Unfortunately the floats on the neons in general aren't very accurate.

On mine, I will get 100 miles on the first quarter tank. Imagine how happy I was when I first bought the car and saw that?

Then reality...

I had 150 miles at halfway,

Around 230 the fuel light came on. Ho hum...

This happens consistently, mixed driving highway/city. Sometimes all highway I get pretty good mileage, got 29 mpg on the first tank on the way to Minneapolis, but that was with an 18 mph tailwind for the first 2 hours.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ever since I got the car the fuel level gauge reads... well just wrong. Consistent but wrong.

When i fill up the tank it reads full.
At about 75 miles its half a tank.
The light comes on at about 140-175 miles (its dependent on the way ive been driving)
And I can continue until 240 miles or so.

Its very consistent. I noticed when the O2 sensor failed and was running super rich. It just reads empty and the light comes on with 4-5 gallons of fuel in the tank.

I even switch the entire sending unit with a new one from ModernPerformance and its exactly the same.
Anybody have any thoughts on this?
I'm almost thinking my cluster is the problem but I am not sure which part interprets the signal.
your cluster is direct wired to the resistor. its not uncommon for either sending units nor movements to go bad. you can test for a dead coil on the instrument cluster motor if you want to and swap it out if its bad. takes some paitence and soldering skills, but they are changeable..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your cluster is direct wired to the resistor. its not uncommon for either sending units nor movements to go bad. you can test for a dead coil on the instrument cluster motor if you want to and swap it out if its bad. takes some paitence and soldering skills, but they are changeable..

I am not thinking its the sending unit since the new one almost directly matches the new sending unit I installed (i broke the tab for the regulator trying to get it to stop leaking down)

I will have to do some research on checking out the coil on the cluster. But I do solder kits for fun so it would be right up my alley to attempt. Whats the worst that could happen, I ruin my entire cluster😅

·
Registered
734 Posts
I am not thinking its the sending unit since the new one almost directly matches the new sending unit I installed (i broke the tab for the regulator trying to get it to stop leaking down)

I will have to do some research on checking out the coil on the cluster. But I do solder kits for fun so it would be right up my alley to attempt. Whats the worst that could happen, I ruin my entire cluster
yes, grab a spare cluster from the JY. you can practice on it. works great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, grab a spare cluster from the JY. you can practice on it. works great.

I thought I read I could even use a base model cluster but the parking light might stay on?
So that in itself would be a good test for a short while?

·
Registered
734 Posts
I thought I read I could even use a base model cluster but the parking light might stay on?
So that in itself would be a good test for a short while?
I have no practical experience changing a base to srt4 cluster. I have taken and SXT cluster apart and fixed a SRT4 one with the parts, but i didnt put the sxt in the srt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts