Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn I’m frustrated. I thought I had the cracked oil pan problem because I had oil on the bottom/back/ backside of the pan. I went out today and took the splashguard off and looked. I don’t see any oil nor any trace of oil on the front of the pan where the mount would be hitting it and it was my understanding the crack was in the front by the mount. So now I’m not sure where it is coming from. It looks like it may be coming from the gasket between the pan and block in the back by the oil cooler. Is it conceivable I could have blown the oil pan gasket or is that really unlikely?

·
Registered
741 Posts
VIPER83 said:
Take it to a reliable shop and have them add some liquid dye to your engine crankcase. Then they can check it with a ultra-violet light to find your leaks. Most it would cost is maybe 1/2 to 1hr of labor time. And the dye will not harm your engine

Exellent advise. If the oil is not coming from the FMIC, you may have a serious issue that you should take care ASAP. If you want to do it yourself and don't hace the dye, a good bottle of degreaser can help you find the leak. Just remember, because of gravity, oil runs down, so with a clean surface, (tranny and engine) you will be able to trace the oil. It could also be you have leak at the cooler. Running over rocks or other crap could hit the bottom of the car and damage your oil cooler.

Percy

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
or have the dealer do all that for you, that's why we have warranties. Unless you overfilled the oil one day by accident or have an oil catch can it could be a number of things. Some guys have had the turbo leaking oil too which can be dangerous, so get the dealer to look at it.

It is quite easy for an oil pan gasket to leak , but like I said it could be a number of things, even the valve cover gasket or cam seals can leak and end up down there. Did you have the valve cover off for anything ?.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JSRT4 said:
or have the dealer do all that for you, that's why we have warranties. Unless you overfilled the oil one day by accident or have an oil catch can it could be a number of things. Some guys have had the turbo leaking oil too which can be dangerous, so get the dealer to look at it.

It is quite easy for an oil pan gasket to leak , but like I said it could be a number of things, even the valve cover gasket or cam seals can leak and end up down there. Did you have the valve cover off for anything ?.
Yah, put a new powder coated valve cover on a couple months ago. I ran my hand along the back of the valve cover and it was dry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts