Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I've noticed that my car has been leaking oil around the crank pulley. We have been in the negative Temps put here for the past 2 weeks and the leak only started then. I'm not sure if it is due to the very cold weather that it could be causing too much pressure and leaking oil or what. But a few months ago my power steering belt started to slip and has been halfway on for months, I've been also trying to figure that out. I'm not sure if it has to do with the actually crank or what. The car is a 03 with the engine replaced at 75k miles from previous owner, now at 140k, so probably 70k on the engine. It is also a stage 2, with a few extra mods like engine mounts, exhuast, etc small things. I just really need help on this, I only figured it out too because I was about to do an oil change change noticed the leak. I'm no expert at all, so I it would be nice to have some insight on it. The car hasn't really been beating on except for the casual pulls. Thanks you guys in advance.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
It's a tough job. Yes you need to verify you do not have crank walk. (Most likely not) If it isn't crankwalk proceed with replacing the seal.. this seal goes around the oil pump. Buy the seal from the dealer or modernperformance.com . Do not use a generic brand. You will need 2 specialty tools from Mopar or freedom tool company.
Not for an occasional oil change guy. You have to undo motor mounts, lower the engine, redo the timing belt etc.

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a tough job. Yes you need to verify you do not have crank walk. (Most likely not) If it isn't crankwalk proceed with replacing the seal.. this seal goes around the oil pump. Buy the seal from the dealer or modernperformance.com . Do not use a generic brand. You will need 2 specialty tools from Mopar or freedom tool company.
Not for an occasional oil change guy. You have to undo motor mounts, lower the engine, redo the timing belt etc.
Thanks for the info, yeah I read a lot, and I don't think it is crank walk since it has only happened recently in freezing Temps, so my seal might of just froze and cracked or something. But thank you again, I'll try to get that seal fixed and see if that hopefully fixes my leak.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Belt walking is due to a worn belt tensioner, chafe pulley while there

if you can do a timing belt you can do a front seal

·
Registered
2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belt walking is due to a worn belt tensioner, chafe pulley while there

if you can do a timing belt you can do a front seal
Yeah I might I'm going to due the timing belt, seal and anything else because it's already off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts