Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any of you ne guys had any problems with rocks and shit chipping up your ic after you removed the grill???want to do it myself but worried about that problem,, and also how did you do it,, dremel probably best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
there actually screws that hold them on inside the bumper. Im not sure if you really need to take the bumper off, i did when i upgraded my intercooler
 

·
Super Moderator, SRT of the Month
Joined
·
34,749 Posts
front grill? do you mean the mesh or the crosshairs? when you say you want to use a dremel it sounds like youre talking about the crosshairs but when the above poster said they come off with screws he was talking about the mesh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
uncommon said:
front grill? do you mean the mesh or the crosshairs? when you say you want to use a dremel it sounds like youre talking about the crosshairs but when the above poster said they come off with screws he was talking about the mesh
sorry man, i meant the mesh part, just worried about the intercooler gettin chipped up.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,333 Posts
sorry man, i meant the mesh part, just worried about the intercooler gettin chipped up.

No big deal, so you crush and bend some of the cooling fins from road debris hitting the intercooler reducing the cooling efficency. :eeeek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
i have had no mesh since day one of my big FMIC and that was 3 yrs ago....needless to say the IC is def destroyed from all the road debris not to mention salty ass NE roads during the winter time
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,074 Posts
grab some gutter guard from home deopt, makes a perfect grill, just grab a can of your favorite black or silver or any other color paint and some clear.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,380 Posts
kotu100 said:
grab some gutter guard from home deopt, makes a perfect grill, just grab a can of your favorite black or silver or any other color paint and some clear.
wow, that's funny i discovered the same thing 4 years back when i owned my tiburon. i had a veilside body kit and used the gutter guard as mesh...looks pretty damn good actually. i didn't try painting it but i assume it's look even better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,074 Posts
yea it works great, and also since its aluminum and not steel you dont have to worry about it rusting, i still suggest painting it tho, as it will shine longer and you can customize it to match your car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,649 Posts
I have kept my mesh on and my intercooler still looks brand new after 3 years :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,394 Posts
I am willing to bet my IC would look 10x's better had I kept the mesh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,649 Posts
Mattyd said:
That mesh isn't protecting anything from the road...
I strongly doubt that, If you look at my intercooler it still looks rand new after 3 years. I dont even have a single bent fin :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,764 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
Mattyd said:
That mesh isn't protecting anything from the road...
I strongly doubt that, If you look at my intercooler it still looks rand new after 3 years. I dont even have a single bent fin :thumbsup:
I have one of those grills off of ebay and the mesh is pretty tight.. bugs don't even get stuck in my ic:thumbsup: Looks as good as the day I took it out of the box:clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
Mattyd said:
That mesh isn't protecting anything from the road...
I strongly doubt that, If you look at my intercooler it still looks rand new after 3 years. I dont even have a single bent fin :thumbsup:

Thats also because all 26 thousand miles on that beast have been a quarter mile at a time on a track so you dont count:rofl:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,649 Posts
NASTSRT said:
1badsrt-4 said:
Mattyd said:
That mesh isn't protecting anything from the road...
I strongly doubt that, If you look at my intercooler it still looks rand new after 3 years. I dont even have a single bent fin :thumbsup:

Thats also because all 26 thousand miles on that beast have been a quarter mile at a time on a track so you dont count:rofl:
Yes but each pull is at 120mph :readclose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,405 Posts
1badsrt-4 said:
NASTSRT said:
1badsrt-4 said:
Mattyd said:
That mesh isn't protecting anything from the road...
I strongly doubt that, If you look at my intercooler it still looks rand new after 3 years. I dont even have a single bent fin :thumbsup:

Thats also because all 26 thousand miles on that beast have been a quarter mile at a time on a track so you dont count:rofl:
Yes but each pull is at 120mph :readclose
show-off
 

·
SRTFORUM Moderator
Joined
·
23,153 Posts
I've had mine off for a few years, and a few bent fins. Took some needle noise plier's, and made em look new again.

If it get's to bad, messes up alot of them and start's to look like crap, that give's me an excuse to upgrade to the CTI. :)
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top