Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a black SRT-4. When I first got it I had to drive 60 miles a day. Although I tried to wash it frequently, the front bumper appears to be permanently fooked. It looks like a bunch of small dots all over the lower bumper. I've tried washing the hell out of it and even used some bug/sap remover stuff, but nothing seems to work. What do you guys suggest? Should I just take it to a detail shop?

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
turtle wax rubbing compound works wonders. After that I would follow up with a clay bar and meguiars nxt wax. That will cost you about $35-$40 with a few towels, but your paint will love you. PLus your gonna get alot of uses out of it.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I would try a clay bar first, why use a rubbing compound that takes off layers of clearcoat if it is not nessesary. The Clay bar maybe able to take off whatever it is with out damaging the paint. A compound is a paint leveler use for taking out scratches, buffing swirls, and other paint imperfections. A clay bar will remove surface contaminants, (paint overspray, industrial pollutants, bird droppings, tree sap ...) When doing anything to your paint you want to try the least aggressive thing first then move up if needed.

·
Super Moderator, SRT of the Month, 2011 Calendar C
8,393 Posts
ACK! No Rubbing compound, especially not on black that will take the clearcoat RIGHT off the car. You may as well apply sandpaper to your Front bumper!

I'm gonna agree with what was said earlier, try the claybar. If the claybar doesn't work, you'll have to use compound. I wish I had roadblock installed on my car, I may still do so. Bug & Tar remover (I like the wipes better) will get rid of those splatted ass buggies sitting on your FB. But a trick for tar if all else fails, and we did it at BMW but you have to be realllllly careful, is use a tiny tiny bit of laquer thinner, and don't press hard at all. It won't take anything off the car if done right. But try a claybar first.

And RUN AWAY From rubbing compound....its liquidish sandpaper in a container.

-C

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Nope none of that is going to work.

I'm guessing they are tiny chips in the clear from rocks and small particles of dirt that get sand blasted to the front fascia when driving large distances over a period of time.

Mine has them too but they are very minute.

What's the fix? Repaint. :(

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Compound, in the right hands, is not a bad thing. But for one that has not been trained in professional detailing should stay away from. As for the laquer thinner, as you said if all else fails. The only thing I have seen a need for laquer thinner for is if someone has driven through fresh road paint, but should only be used by a proffesional. The thing is Bugs and Tar actually take two different chemical to remove. Bugs which are primarily protein can easily be removed with a bug remover containing enzymes designed to break down the protein, while tar needs a solvent to break it down.

·
Super Moderator, SRT of the Month, 2011 Calendar C
8,393 Posts
You can get a claybar at almost any auto store, pep boys, auto zone, AAP, etc. They all carry at least one brand of them.

Extremely easy to use. Roll it in a ball, and flatten it out in the palm of your hand, spray the wax on a clean vehicle and then rub the clay bar in straight lines where the wax is sprayed. You don't need to press hard at all, and a couple passes will do the trick, don't go all out its not a project that needs elbow grease. Oh and reform the clay every once in a while, and make sure you clean the rocks/dirt etc out of it, all the big pieces, or you'll run the risk of scratching your car. But wicked easy to use, and can be done really fast.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've got a similar issue (tiny spots that kind of look faded or something). I'll look into the bug remover (bugs only). Detail shop already clayed the hell out of it, but obviously it's not their car, so it's time for me to do it myself I think.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming

·
Registered
337 Posts
After using a wax and grease remover on every inch of my car I noticed a few things back this summer. First, I too have a sandblasted front bumper, oh well. Second, the paint on our car has a ton of orange peel, which is caused by too thick paint or the spray gun is too far away. Lastly, the paint on our car is very thin, which means the gun was probably too far away. I noticed on my trunklid on the vertical back part, that you can almost see primer through the paint. If I keep this car 10 years, it will seriously need a paint job.

·
Registered
897 Posts
i have places on my car on inside of deck lid and hood where i can see primer, i mean, that is shitty, but oh well, i ahve learned to live with it. i have so many bugs on my front bumper that the rocks chip them, not the paint :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
not being stupid, but is WD-40 clear coat safe. It doesn't seem like it would hurt it, but i have heard stories of people using it to take the glue stickers leave on wood varnish and it takes the finish right off of it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.