Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of any basic free mods to do to these cars besides just cutting the hood. I already tried pulling the vaccum hose off the wastegate. the BOV can't handle the 20+ psi the turbo was putting out and blew off all the boost. and no i didn't just take it off and romp on it. I took off slow up it in 3rd gear at about 30 and got on it i saw 15, backed off, got back on saw 20 and back off, then got on it it pegged out the gauge. i already knew my engine would be ok b/c after 15 the BOV opened up, i just wanted to see how much boost the turbo would put out. i know alot of DSM guys do that, but it doen't seem to work for us.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
the stock bov is the biggest piece of shit blowoff valve out there, i would venture to say. nathan from turboxs said it looked like it cost about 5 bucks in parts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i already have ordered a Greddy Type-R, the shop is going to cap the one of the turbo and put the greddy on my IC piping, and run a longer vaccum hose. supposidly the Type-R sounds nice.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
hope you like it. havent heard anything about them. what made you go with that one?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've heard it on a few DSM's is fairly loud and sounds nice, the only other i really like is the Type-S but the Type-R is a lil cheaper, as far as i know the only real diff. is the sound.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The HKS ssbov is pretty nice. I like the sound of it. It has more of a unique sound.

I will be capping off my stock BOV this week and installing my BOV in the pipe im making to replace the rubber plumbing that goes into the hot side of teh fmic.

Did you get an check engine light on your car for over boosting? Did you not feel fuel cut?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually the engine was fine, the bov blew off all boost after it hit 15 so the engine actually didn't see maybe more then 3 psi that passed the open bov. but the car smelled like it ran pig rich when i parked it after i tried that, so the computer must have tried to compensate for the boost although none of it made it to the engine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
riceetr said:
actually the engine was fine, the bov blew off all boost after it hit 15 so the engine actually didn't see maybe more then 3 psi that passed the open bov. but the car smelled like it ran pig rich when i parked it after i tried that, so the computer must have tried to compensate for the boost although none of it made it to the engine.
The problem with just pulling your waste gate is that the turbo never reaches an equilibrium like when it is waste gated.
It just keeps on spooling up until it is way over its efficiency map and starts blowing tons of hot air. When your boost gauge says that it sees 20 psi for example, your turbo is cranking out 25 psi to make up for all of the pumping losses and pressure drop through the piping and intercooler.
Yes some fools in DSMs do this but they also end up replacing their turbos in short order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
abaddsm
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing