Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm installing a AFR Gage in my car and doing some wiring thru the firewall and saw the following that will certainly over time be a wiring problem.

The Clutch Lever when fully depressed will mash the Brake Switch wiring harness against the floor board. Mine is crushed, but still functional. There are 2 push pins holding it exactly in place for this to happen! I'm going to try and re-route mine as soon as I can get the plug out of the Brake Switch. I had no luck so far in getting out the plug but will try again later.

Look at yours now to see it for yourself. Mopar and you need to know about this.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Just looked at mine, yup, same thing!
Wonder if this is causing the hard shifts into gear!
GREAT FIND! Will take care of first thing in AM.
Later

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Its not hard to see, go into the car with a flashlight, push the clutch in, its on the firewall right above where the carpet stops. The harness comes down from the brake switch, crosses where the clutch would depress further and goes over. The harness is snapped into the sound deadening. My guess is EVERY 03 is like this, and poss the 04s, its the way the wires were routed and the travel of the clutch.
Go check it out, takes 10 secs....

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Yeah, I just checked mine, it's an 04, and yes, I have the same problem. The wires are held in place by those two plastic clips/anchors. I'm going to work on moving these ASAP. I'm suprised DCX located them there. It seems that after enough hard slams on the wires they'll begin to cut. Maybe it'll take a few years, but, nevertheless, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think everyone should look at theirs and think about moving them.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hmm I'm gonna have to take a look at this TOO !

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
saw that about a month ago when i installed my remote start. i just moved the wire.. zipties are your friend. to remove the brake switch wiring harness you have to remove the brake switch.. it takes a 1/4 turn to the left.. then it comes right out..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Checked mine out and sure enough if the clutch is depressed all the way to the floor it will definitely mash the harness. I don't think there will be a problem with short term damage. Its not like the pedal has sharp edges or anything but it could definitely be a problem later on.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was just told today that when i shift I hit the brake, like I cant drive, LMAO. I had to show the dude this thread. I would probably never have known that each time I push the clutch pedel in, my brake lights come on, boy do I feel like a dork now! Hehehe, very easy fix though, hope this helps with the notchy clutch/shift issues.

Chris

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Also, I wonder if removing some of the sound deadening right under the clutch would allow it to engage completely? Anyone else do this yet? Take a razor and cut a chunk out.?

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
i've had mine for a year, and am quite gentle with her.

however, i also see, just a bit what some of you others are seeing. doesnt look too bad, but it cant hurt for me to take the clip out or take it of the plastic clip & reroute.

nice heads-up. preventative. chances of something happening to a bunch of us is slim, but why take the chance. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.