Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forward Motion Billet Aluminum Rods *6.160 length connecting rods $520.00/per set
Anyone use these? What is max power ran on them?
I called you guys 2 times and left messages....Nothing?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aluminum rods are the way to go, I'm switching from steel rods very soon.
I want to use Oliver long rods but for $900, I could almost have rods and pistons.
Aluminum is good for high revs and 1/4 runs, plus may not be good for high miles.. like 100k on same motor. Not so sure for DD street and track use... and Aluminum will shrink when cold and expands with heat, like piston slap on cold starts which I don't want at all.
I want to run 8,500-8600rpm shift points with a redline of 9k. Which Oliver steel rods are fine for. But if these will do the job and last, I'm all for saving $ for more go fast parts.

Are you thinking of running these?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Disclaimer: I don't have actual experience with these rods so the following is general advise.

Aluminum stretches more under load than steel. The higher RPMs you run the more load on the rod. Because of this you need to run more piston to head clearance with aluminum rods than steel. Most SRT pistons are pretty far down in the hole to begin with so I don't see this being a problem, just something you should be aware of when building your motor.

In the short term, say over the course of a race season or 2, the aluminum rods can be stronger (not to mention much lighter) than steel because of there shock absorbing properties. That being said, there fatigue life is generally shorter. So, for high horsepower / high RPM racing applications (top fuel dragsters use aluminum rods) they make sense. But, for a street car that you want to get 100k miles out of, steel is probably better..

As far as thermal expansion and contraction goes, I don't see this being an issue. It certainly won't cause piston slap, if that is what you were saying. Piston slap is a function of piston to cylinder clearance, not connecting rod length or connecting rod expansion and contraction.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I want to use Oliver long rods but for $900, I could almost have rods and pistons.
Aluminum is good for high revs and 1/4 runs, plus may not be good for high miles.. like 100k on same motor. Not so sure for DD street and track use... and Aluminum will shrink when cold and expands with heat, like piston slap on cold starts which I don't want at all.
I want to run 8,500-8600rpm shift points with a redline of 9k. Which Oliver steel rods are fine for. But if these will do the job and last, I'm all for saving $ for more go fast parts.

Are you thinking of running these?
I'm currently running the olivers and have rev them 8800 without any issues. I'm building a spare stroker, just waiting on the crank to comeback and I'm doing the aluminum just for the piece of mind.
After seeing a set of aluminum rods that have been used for 3 seasons, I have no doubts about them.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I ran these rods when I had my car when I worked for FM. Very good. If you use them on the street driving habits need to change, for example: can't downshift to slow car down (would have to go to neutral and just use brakes), car would need to warm up to get oil temp up before driving, etc. If your looking for every possible ounce of power from your setup this will help with weight savings. Engine ran very smooth with these rods as well. I forget the approx. weight for each rod. I also had about 10k on the motor when I sold the car and they were still going extremely strong.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran these rods when I had my car when I worked for FM. Very good. If you use them on the street driving habits need to change, for example: can't downshift to slow car down (would have to go to neutral and just use brakes), car would need to warm up to get oil temp up before driving, etc. If your looking for every possible ounce of power from your setup this will help with weight savings. Engine ran very smooth with these rods as well. I forget the approx. weight for each rod. I also had about 10k on the motor when I sold the car and they were still going extremely strong.
Very nice thank you for the info!

I'm currently running the olivers and have rev them 8800 without any issues. I'm building a spare stroker, just waiting on the crank to comeback and I'm doing the aluminum just for the piece of mind.
After seeing a set of aluminum rods that have been used for 3 seasons, I have no doubts about them.
How much Hp,tq was the car running?

Sounds like I might use these rods and 1400hd pistons

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
car made [email protected], never dynoed it past that. I ran 36psi down the track so far.
Very nice, Serious power!!!...
But what did the car with aluminum rods put down hp,tq wise? And were they Long rods?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I put down a little over 500 to the wheels on pump gas and I think torque was in the 450-460 range. Forget boost number, and that was only running car to 6,000 rpms. With long rods (6.160" length compared to the stock 5.95")

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I put down a little over 500 to the wheels on pump gas and I think torque was in the 450-460 range. Forget boost number, and that was only running car to 6,000 rpms. With long rods (6.160" length compared to the stock 5.95")
Holy shit never thought I would see you ever post again!

What's up Scott? We met in md one day for a part I'm a friend of Robs.

I have 15k on my long rod setup made great power but turbo ran out of steam...Oliver rods seem to hold up well, only reason I didnt do aluminum is I was advised they were not meant for a lot of miles, not sure if that's an accurate statement.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Holy shit never thought I would see you ever post again!

What's up Scott? We met in md one day for a part I'm a friend of Robs.

I have 15k on my long rod setup made great power but turbo ran out of steam...Oliver rods seem to hold up well, only reason I didnt do aluminum is I was advised they were not meant for a lot of miles, not sure if that's an accurate statement.
I remember you. I don't have a ton of time anymore to get on here now with the new job and rotating shift work. How's the car?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I remember you. I don't have a ton of time anymore to get on here now with the new job and rotating shift work. How's the car?
Car runs amazing but! Can't keep a transmission in it, broke 2 bullet input shafts within the last year and a half I just don't know what to do,lol

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Car runs amazing but! Can't keep a transmission in it, broke 2 bullet input shafts within the last year and a half I just don't know what to do,lol
Sounds like its time for an auto.

Very nice, Serious power!!!...
But what did the car with aluminum rods put down hp,tq wise? And were they Long rods?
I haven't ran on aluminum rods yet, but the combo works great in the sled.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sounds like its time for an auto.

I haven't ran on aluminum rods yet, but the combo works great in the sled.
Yeah wish it was a bit more affordable,lol I guess the ole saying gotta pay to play really works in my case.

Were you at MIR 2 years ago with Kevin? I remember him running a 1gn and rolling the beams we had a suite he and a few guys came and warmed up,could be different guy anywho yeahh so how about those Broncos...Wow

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeah wish it was a bit more affordable,lol I guess the ole saying gotta pay to play really works in my case.

Were you at MIR 2 years ago with Kevin? I remember him running a 1gn and rolling the beams we had a suite he and a few guys came and warmed up,could be different guy anywho yeahh so how about those Broncos...Wow
you can always make payments lol, it just all depends on what you want to do with the setup.

Yea that was Aj and I up in the suite, the suite is definitely the best setup for MIR.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
you can always make payments lol, it just all depends on what you want to do with the setup.

Yea that was Aj and I up in the suite, the suite is definitely the best setup for MIR.
thought that was your car, dam that thing scoots, unfortunately for us mir will no longer rent out the suite to just anyone chirs miller bought both this year I believe. far as the auto shoot me a pm on cost I drive my car on the street pretty often. Im pretty good friends with Scott(legion) and I know he has had some trans pump issues but drives it to the track now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts