Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums, and I haven't been able to find much good information on this problem. I could have sworn at one point that there were rumors of Forge coming out with a new diaphragm material to handle the heat of the turbo. Well I guess that is not the case.

I bought a Forge BOV a couple of months ago. It is a nice machined piece, but it has proven to be unreliable. About a month ago, the BOV began working only periodically, and shortly thereafter stopped working all together. The car would hit full boost, with no major signs of a leak, but the BOV would not vent between shifts. You could hear compressor surge between shifts. After taking it apart, it was determined a small tear in the diaphragm caused the failure. The material also appeared to be cracking from the heat of being on the turbo.

I live near Forge's USA headquarters and was able to get a second diaphragm easily. It was a different material (gray with woven reinforcement texture) from the stock black diaphragm. After replacing the diaphragm, it worked as normal. I was hoping this was a permanent fix but this diaphragm tore only a couple weeks after installing it.

Rather than continuosly fiddling with the Forge BOV, I purchased a set of JMB Hard Pipes with a Greddy Type-RS.

I'd really like to get rid of this Forge BOV, but I am not going to sell it knowing the next person will have the same problems. Has anyone had any luck with the Forge BOV? Is there a replacement diaphragm out there that solves these issues? Do I have to ask Forge for a specific material diaphragm to make this thing reliable?

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hmmm. I was under the impression that the woven diaphragm was the new "un-tearable" one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
mpbiv said:
I have searched the forums, and I haven't been able to find much good information on this problem. I could have sworn at one point that there were rumors of Forge coming out with a new diaphragm material to handle the heat of the turbo. Well I guess that is not the case.

I bought a Forge BOV a couple of months ago. It is a nice machined piece, but it has proven to be unreliable. About a month ago, the BOV began working only periodically, and shortly thereafter stopped working all together. The car would hit full boost, with no major signs of a leak, but the BOV would not vent between shifts. You could hear compressor surge between shifts. After taking it apart, it was determined a small tear in the diaphragm caused the failure. The material also appeared to be cracking from the heat of being on the turbo.

I live near Forge's USA headquarters and was able to get a second diaphragm easily. It was a different material (gray with woven reinforcement texture) from the stock black diaphragm. After replacing the diaphragm, it worked as normal. I was hoping this was a permanent fix but this diaphragm tore only a couple weeks after installing it.

Rather than continuosly fiddling with the Forge BOV, I purchased a set of JMB Hard Pipes with a Greddy Type-RS.

I'd really like to get rid of this Forge BOV, but I am not going to sell it knowing the next person will have the same problems. Has anyone had any luck with the Forge BOV? Is there a replacement diaphragm out there that solves these issues? Do I have to ask Forge for a specific material diaphragm to make this thing reliable?

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup:
I had the same problem with you and I'm now running for a month without tearing the replacement diaphragm while I installed my Stg 1 pcm and wga & Lorenzo's TB + spacer. Keep my finger cross so far so good. :hi:

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wildcat said:
Hmmm. I was under the impression that the woven diaphragm was the new "un-tearable" one.
That was exactly what I had thought and hoped, but it did not last :crying:

I just installed my JMB Pressure pipe and Greddy RS last night, so I'll be taking the Forge BOV off soon to confirm the diaphragm failure.

·
Registered
573 Posts
ive got a ripped diaphram in my car right now....still waiting to get my new one...big boost leaks suck :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the forge bov...been running it for about 5 months...absolutely no problems...i have 2 extra diaphrams but havent needed them yet....i am running stg 2 with supporting mods and about 20psi...so i must have gotten a good one....knock on wood

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have the Forge BOV as well. Bought it used, and have had it on my car for a little over a year now, and thankfully it's still ok (knock on wood). I'm EXTREMELY disppointed with Forge however. I have sent them two different messages inquiring about one of the new and improved diaphragms, and didn't get a response either time. Forge used to be a vendor here on the forums if I recall, notice how they are no longer here. It seems to me as if Forge has more or less turned their back on the SRT-4 community, even those who have their product. If my diaphragm busts in mine, I guess I'm just SOL.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Forge BOV Diaphragm issue

I got my car with one of these forge bov (Now Mat silver after baking in the Miami auction yard salty air before I bought the car) and considering its design and articles I've read, it's pretty much a quiet BOV. But after reading this thread I suspect that my diaphragm might be toasty toast cause mine is close to silent when barely boosting 12-14 stock lbs! (Not to mention comparing the sound on the Youtube video of BOV comparison)

Any ideas where I can buy a new "reenforced" diaphragm" now a days?? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
510 Posts
I got my car with one of these forge bov (Now Mat silver after baking in the Miami auction yard salty air before I bought the car) and considering its design and articles I've read, it's pretty much a quiet BOV. But after reading this thread I suspect that my diaphragm might be toasty toast cause mine is close to silent when barely boosting 12-14 stock lbs! (Not to mention comparing the sound on the Youtube video of BOV comparison)

Any ideas where I can buy a new "reenforced" diaphragm" now a days?? Thanks in advance
The forge plate looks nice but it just doesn't last very long, everyone i know that had one had issues with the diaphragm. I tried searching for a replacement diaphragm but i found nothing so i just went with the stock valve/mopar plate. Same thing but way more reliable

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the reply! And guess what! I did the obvious today and simply called Forge, asked where I could buy the forsaken diaphragm and the guy simply said.."uhh, just give me your address and I'll send you one FREE OF CHARGE!!", no questions asked! Exemplary Customer service!! Would of gotten it a lot faster if I knew a head of time that their US offices are in Orlando. (Coincidently where I was for my family vacation a few weeks back)........Ahhh, Only if AGP had this type of awsome service when asking for a replacement WGA diaphragm too. :S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts