Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I will probably be taking the plunge this week and flying down to Tampa to retrieve my silver baby! :D My question is which airline did you use, were they affordable, etc.? Also, this will be my first time to fly so I am doubly excited! :D :D I appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry dro, it's been a long day at work and I'm a little braindead so I don't get it. Do you mean just so I'll be comfortable? Did you fly down by the way?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I flew from Chicago. I flew ATA and it was 144 I beleive. Oh, and it is WELL worth the trip :D . I have not had a regret yet. Well maybe one, I should have gone to Florida sooner. :wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yes, I flew down.

I meant, with the new security at airports, they often ask you to take off your shoes. It's a real pain.

I think I flew a Delta charter. From DC it was about $200. I flew into Ft. Lauderdale. Then it was about a $30 cab ride to the dealer.

For airfares, shop around on the internet. Try Expedia.com, Cheaptickets.com, etc. Even if you buy directly from the airline, those sites will let you know what fares are available.

Since you've never flown before, tickets are cheapest if you can buy them at least 30 days out. They go up at 30 days before the flight, then at 14 days, then again at 7 days. The closer to your flight the more they cost. That being said, my $200 flight was booked the day before I flew down, and I thought it was reasonable. So you may always find a deal.

I don't know what else to tell you, except good luck and have fun. And enjoy your SRT-4!

Dan R.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Dro is referring to the security check.

Why don't you rent a car?

I told you good things come to those who wait.

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
drolander said:
Yes, I flew down.

I meant, with the new security at airports, they often ask you to take off your shoes. It's a real pain.

I think I flew a Delta charter. From DC it was about $200. I flew into Ft. Lauderdale. Then it was about a $30 cab ride to the dealer.

For airfares, shop around on the internet. Try Expedia.com, Cheaptickets.com, etc. Even if you buy directly from the airline, those sites will let you know what fares are available.

Since you've never flown before, tickets are cheapest if you can buy them at least 30 days out. They go up at 30 days before the flight, then at 14 days, then again at 7 days. The closer to your flight the more they cost. That being said, my $200 flight was booked the day before I flew down, and I thought it was reasonable. So you may always find a deal.

I don't know what else to tell you, except good luck and have fun. And enjoy your SRT-4!

Dan R.
Try changing up days if your flexible. Fridays and Saturdays are usually the worst as far as price goes, middle of the week is usually the best.

-faast

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
I flew Southwest, about 200 one way to Miami. Southwest.com is the web site, it lets you play around and shows the options. My dealer came and picked me up at the airport, you might want to ask them. Go man, Go!!!!! I'm damn happy I went, love having the car!!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I appreciate all of the advice. You have a point there dro, I guess they don't know that I don't carry explosives around in my shoes. :D RU, I'm on a limited time schedule so I can take off Friday from work, but Tampa is a HAUL from here. I figure this will give me the excuse I've been looking for to fly as well, so two birds with one stone! I'll check out the sites ya'll mentioned as soon as I get the opportunity. I did see where I could fly Southwest for about $125. Does that sound pretty good and are they a good airline?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wade said:
Does that sound pretty good and are they a good airline?
They are an excellent airline. Not only are they typically the cheapest, but they're also the safest; they haven't had a single fatality. Plus they're a fun airline to fly; the crew has fun with what they do. For instance, just 2 days a go, we were flying back from Florida and my sister forgot her belt in the back of the plane, one of the stewardess found it and spanked the pilot with it. It's amazing what they get away with ;)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
duderdude2 said:
Wade said:
Does that sound pretty good and are they a good airline?
They are an excellent airline. Not only are they typically the cheapest, but they're also the safest; they haven't had a single fatality. Plus they're a fun airline to fly; the crew has fun with what they do. For instance, just 2 days a go, we were flying back from Florida and my sister forgot her belt in the back of the plane, one of the stewardess found it and spanked the pilot with it. It's amazing what they get away with ;)
Wait till Song airlines debuts. New 757's, personal TV's, satellite TV, video games, pay per view and whole bunch of other crap. The best part is it's a discount airline so you're not going to pay out the ass.

-faast

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
song airlines? hmmm...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
southwest .. they are the cheapest .. and ask the dealer to pick you up at the airport ... they did for me

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Just a note on airport security. If you wear tennis shoes, they don't make you take them off.

If you can, pack with carry-on only. You are allowed 1 carry on bag and 1 laptop/backpack size item. That way you don't have to worry about the airline losing your luggage.

Go here for a list of what not to take:
http://129.33.119.130/public/index.jsp

Make sure you contact us in Tampa, and maybe we can get a few of the locals to meet you.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Rap,

Maybe they've changed the rules recently, but I've flown 3 or 4 times since 9/11, and I've had to take my tennis shoes off everytime.

Dan

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i flew out of a semi smaller airport. flew airtran 717's nice plane!

they checked me and my dad, guess it was cause we were 1 way, didnt make us take out shoes off though :).

take only carry-on if at all possible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Car hauler ?

I bought mine in Miami area and payed to have a car hauler bring it up to Atlanta . cost me about 200.00.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts