Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is gonna be my first time drag racing my car or any in general. any tips or tricks? i have 3" downpipe and exhaust, CAI, and wot box. times to expect? im thinking 13.7-13.9 maybe a slight bit better (street tires btw). anyone used a wot box with stock t\rims and tires have an tips on what to set my launch control at? THANKS

·
Super Moderator
15,689 Posts
Where are you from? Unless it's excessively cold, don't sit there and burn off your tires like they are slicks, completely unnecessary yet I see it ALL the time on all kinds of cars. If it is cold, you can do a bit to warm them up, but beyond that it doesn't give you any advantage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, I just started racing too. I'll touch on the basics just to be sure, but look over the rules of your local track. Def bring a helmet anyway, my first run three weeks ago was a 14.7 on 650 cc's and tons of supporting mods stock turbo. Also look over everything for any drips or leaks, they'll boot you right off the line if anything likelooks wet or something is falling onto the track. Was down at Cecil county MD last weekend and ran a 13.99 still on crappy Wal-Mart tires. So, tips... as already mentioned, I would skip the box and drop your pressure a bit. I ran 32 psi from 42 on the way there. Also, don't go crazy with throttle until you know how grippy your track is. The first track I ran on (Beaver Springs Dragway) let me spin even into third gear while Cecil hooked up wide open in second. Your very first pass will give you a feel for everything. Also make sure your brakes work as well as anything else. Might go without saying but on the way back after Cecil I had one of my banjo bolts back out of the caliper and had to fix it on the road. You'll be putting your car through the extremes while drag racing but most importantly have fun and use your intuition, you'll be fine. Even going to the track is something most people lie about anyway XD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for responding! I went Sunday to beaver springs test and tune. Good experience, I was running on super beat tires so it was sorta hard especially for my first time ever dragging anything too! I have the wot box and couldn't use the launch control cause it has issues if I go below 3,000rpm and 3,000rpm just spin them. Side not have any knowledge of the wot box and launching under 3,000rpm without throwing engine codes? Sweet spot seamed to be 2,500rpm roughly. My best run on just 3" inch downpipe and 3"pipe where the reasonators used to be was 14.30 at 97.9mph. My highest mph of the day was just shy of breaking 100mph at 99.30mph. It was definitely a great experience and would love to do it more. Just got my wideband in today and will be installing this weekend so then maybe I can start safely tuning gradually. Gonna just enjoy the car and the process and hopefully learn a few things along the way!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts