Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are about a million and two posts about wheels and tires fitment. But honestly couldn't go through them all without having people argue or disagree...

So I'll ask plain and simple. What would be my best option for my car, and what I would use it for.

• BC coilovers
  • I do NOT want to roll my fenders
  • car is a garage queen and might see 1500 miles this year
  • I do not drive it in the rain or snow
  • car should make close to 500 whp when dialed in
  • 50% of the time I drive it , will be on the street, on nice days , on my days off
  • 50% I will be taking it on auto x and road course a few times a year
  • I will not be drag racing
- I do have a boost box

That said. I'm stuck on all sorts of levels on tire and wheel size.

16X7 with a 225/50/16 ( no fitment issues, grip, not so good )

17x8(.25) with a 235/45, 245/40/17 ( possible fitment issues with both of I go to low or don't want to roll fenders. )

It's been a long time since I've posted. Hopefully stowaway or some other wheel guys are still around

·
Administrator
39,113 Posts
235/45 is pretty tall. You're better off with a 245/40 or 235/40 (and go lower). The 235/40 would be lighter and offer crisper handling than the larger tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
235/45 is pretty tall. You're better off with a 245/40 or 235/40 (and go lower). The 235/40 would be lighter and offer crisper handling than the larger tires.
Thanks man.. I know some tires have different sizes and widths, so I just wanted to make sure I could get low enough to get rid of wheel gap, but I also don't want that useless, slammed hella flush shit...

I live in Minnesota.. that stuff would tear apart my suspension , and car in general in a month..

Looks like a 235/40 is just a tad taller than stock in sidewall and diameter.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have 235/40 Yokohama s.drives on 17x8 RPF1s (35mm offset). I needed a 3mm spacer to keep the front tires off of the BC coils, which is weird because this shouldn't be an issue. Other than that, I have no rubbing on fenders whatsoever, but the car is definitely on the higher side of BCs range. The tires are sticky and the car handles really well. I have no real complaints.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man that's weird on bc coils. All these people running 245/40s without issue...

What is the measurement from the ground , to the bottom of your fender?

I think I'm at 25 1/8 all the way around

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And also... Just checked the prices on 235/40... Definitely paying a premium, as they are way more than even a 245/40

·
Administrator
39,113 Posts
I've been through a few sets of the original 615s and while they offered a ton of grip they overheated quickly and were edgy. I know they've updated since then but I still think it has similar problems. The firestones I don't have a clue about. I haven't had to buy tires in quite a few years and just in what I've read it's been a bit stagnant with technology and performance.

Tire price and availability is and has been weird for a while now. Even if the tire isn't made in China, and I'd avoid those tires pretty much at all costs, certain ingredients may come from China and anything made outside North America has to be shipped and that's expensive and slow right now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been through a few sets of the original 615s and while they offered a ton of grip they overheated quickly and were edgy. I know they've updated since then but I still think it has similar problems. The firestones I don't have a clue about. I haven't had to buy tires in quite a few years and just in what I've read it's been a bit stagnant with technology and performance.

Tire price and availability is and has been weird for a while now. Even if the tire isn't made in China, and I'd avoid those tires pretty much at all costs, certain ingredients may come from China and anything made outside North America has to be shipped and that's expensive and slow right now.

Gotcha. The only reason I asked , is I watched a few YouTube vids , and read a few articles saying the Indy 500 was just as sticky and handled better than the new 615+..

They are less money , $85 with the $60 rebate if you buy 4.

It's odd to me though how a 340 treadwear high performance tire is stickier than a 200 treadwear extreme performance tire

The more I hear about people with rubbing issues , having to roll fenders with a 245/40, , and the crazy price of 235/40s , I just want to call it a day , find a 16x8 , or 16x 7.5 and throw a 225/50 on it and not have to worry.

I'm guessing you're just not a fan ?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know how accurate this is... But I would assume that an extra 3/4 of an inch width won't be as beneficial as the weight reduction from
17x8.25 wheels and 245/40 tires

Vs

16x8 wheels and 225/50s

But then again, I don't know for sure and that's why I'm here 😊

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Probably not the most popular choice. But I think I will go with a 225/45/17 , on a 17x8 wheel... That tire shouldn't cause any issues and the 8" wheel leaves option open for future options.

·
Registered
14,790 Posts
I'm running 245/40 on 17x8 with Mopar Stage 3 coilovers. I did have rubbing issues, on the street, without rolling the fenders. Fixed it by running full ride height and running the rears a little stiffer. I do autox and drag racing mostly. I plan to return to track days once I get my trailer situation sorted out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm running 245/40 on 17x8 with Mopar Stage 3 coilovers. I did have rubbing issues, on the street, without rolling the fenders. Fixed it by running full ride height and running the rears a little stiffer. I do autox and drag racing mostly. I plan to return to track days once I get my trailer situation sorted out.
Thanks bud... Yea , I'd love 245/40s, but at the moment. Just want a sticky tire under the car.. 225 isn't much wider, but that vs a all season 205 on a stock wheel on a near 500 hp car should be a good enough improvement for now. 😂

Then 2 years down the road , maybe Iill throw 245s on..

·
Premium Member
4,153 Posts
Whats the fear in rolling the fenders? you put a nice wide wheel on there and it's just begging for at least a 245/40 tire! I ran a 255/40 for a while up front....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My car is very clean , and I just don't see the need to do it.. I have the power for a 275 tire, but don't want to risk cracking paint and spending more money, as I'm so far in over my head it's painful.. new thread in the transmission section coming soon 🤦

1 - 17 of 17 Posts