Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Greetings from Virginia! I happened to stumble across a friend that was willing to get rid of his SRT4 that he quit driving back at the start of the Rona. It hadn't ran in a little over a year and a half, so he wasn't sure it would even run but told me I could buy it for $1500 bucks. It's a 2004 SRT-4, 122k miles, he's the original owner and it has no accidents. He told me the oil sending unit sensor was bad, and it kept throwing an oil light for it. Battery terminal cables kept corroding, he was running through batteries and got sick of jumping it, which is what ultimately led him to park it an buy a new car.

I'm not a n00b to cars or even forums. I've owned many things, including Civics, WRXs, an STI, etc. but two years ago got rid of my 2017 ZL1 Camaro so I could build a house. I've longed for something fun again, but didn't want to go out and dump 50k plus to have a car I might drive a few times a week, if that.

Here's a little bit about the SRT-4.

"Mods" Include
  1. Mopar Stage 1 ECU
  2. Cold Air Intake
  3. Blow off Valve
  4. Shifter bushings, no clue what kind
  5. Some god awful aftermarket headlights
  6. Catch Can
  7. Manual Boost Controller
I decided to do some preventative maintenance work. I know he was very good about changing fluids, but I don't think he had washed the car in years. I'll be finishing it up today, but here's a list of things I replaced in hopes of driving it a few times a week and to have it mechanically sound.
  1. Timing Belt
  2. Water Pump
  3. Thermostat
  4. Oil Sending Unit
  5. New stock headlights
  6. Two new pulleys that were broken
  7. New battery terminal cables
  8. New vacuum hoses that were sketchy
  9. Oil/Filter Change
  10. Transmission flush
  11. Fuel filter
  12. Routed the catch-can properly (no clue how it worked as it was plumbed up completely wrong)
  13. Routed the Boost Controller properly (also plumbed up wrong)
Up next, i'm going to detail the hell out of it. See what kind of condition I can get the paint to. If it's not salvageable, I'll probably wrap it.

Here's a few pics!
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Plant

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

Is there anything else i should look out for? Anything good to know about these? Looking forward to some fun times ahead.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Looks good. Silver is the best color. I have the stage 1 ecu as well. I was able to get a few more horsepower by using a diablo sport tuner and modifying the stock tune. The 93 tune was a little too aggressive for my tastes. These cars chew up the clutch fork. If it is hard to shift into gear you can adjust the clutch pedal to by you some time. I think that is one of the reasons the trans starts messing up. They are fun cars. Not the fastest these days but good enough.

·
Super Moderator
16,523 Posts
1500 and no rust? In today's market that would be a steal even if the engine was bad. He must have taken pretty decent care of it. That isn't oil under the front of the car in the picture in the driveway is it?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
jelly like a felly.

1500 bucks is an absolute steal. Find that parasitic drain and money.

um mechanically sound is a relative term here.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
when your doing the timing belt, change
-front main seal (easy)
-4th motor mount (its in the frame rail), SOAK the 4 bolts holding it on 24hrs before with liquid wrench (or equivalent )
-replace both lower control arms, moog problem solver only.
-replace oil cooler cooling lines, line under exhaust manifold, and the two under the intake .. plus rad & heater core hoses

Careful on water pump, often the kit comes with neon pump(20% less flow), you want a black plastic impeller

Hello everyone!

Greetings from Virginia! I happened to stumble across a friend that was willing to get rid of his SRT4 that he quit driving back at the start of the Rona. It hadn't ran in a little over a year and a half, so he wasn't sure it would even run but told me I could buy it for $1500 bucks. It's a 2004 SRT-4, 122k miles, he's the original owner and it has no accidents. He told me the oil sending unit sensor was bad, and it kept throwing an oil light for it. Battery terminal cables kept corroding, he was running through batteries and got sick of jumping it, which is what ultimately led him to park it an buy a new car.

I'm not a n00b to cars or even forums. I've owned many things, including Civics, WRXs, an STI, etc. but two years ago got rid of my 2017 ZL1 Camaro so I could build a house. I've longed for something fun again, but didn't want to go out and dump 50k plus to have a car I might drive a few times a week, if that.

Here's a little bit about the SRT-4.

"Mods" Include
  1. Mopar Stage 1 ECU
  2. Cold Air Intake
  3. Blow off Valve
  4. Shifter bushings, no clue what kind
  5. Some god awful aftermarket headlights
  6. Catch Can
  7. Manual Boost Controller
I decided to do some preventative maintenance work. I know he was very good about changing fluids, but I don't think he had washed the car in years. I'll be finishing it up today, but here's a list of things I replaced in hopes of driving it a few times a week and to have it mechanically sound.
  1. Timing Belt
  2. Water Pump
  3. Thermostat
  4. Oil Sending Unit
  5. New stock headlights
  6. Two new pulleys that were broken
  7. New battery terminal cables
  8. New vacuum hoses that were sketchy
  9. Oil/Filter Change
  10. Transmission flush
  11. Fuel filter
  12. Routed the catch-can properly (no clue how it worked as it was plumbed up completely wrong)
  13. Routed the Boost Controller properly (also plumbed up wrong)
Up next, i'm going to detail the hell out of it. See what kind of condition I can get the paint to. If it's not salvageable, I'll probably wrap it.

Here's a few pics!
View attachment 148669
View attachment 148668
View attachment 148667
View attachment 148666

Is there anything else i should look out for? Anything good to know about these? Looking forward to some fun times ahead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Finished up everything and have put about 100 miles on it today. Feel good. I'm happy with it and now must prevent myself from reading too much on here and going into a shopping spree haha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Thanks everyone! Finished up everything and have put about 100 miles on it today. Feel good. I'm happy with it and now must prevent myself from reading too much on here and going into a shopping spree haha
lol, can you ditch the fishbowl in Virginia?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal! I did the same thing as you, sold a more expensive Mustang, then bought an SRT for fun on a budget. As you know, it is very easy to make horsepower without turbos, and under 3,000 lbs. means lots of potential. Much more fun to drive with Coilovers, bigger sway bars, better brakes etc. FYI, you can polish and wax your plastic door pillars and mirror Housings. Most people just Armor all them but that doesn’t look as good, won’t last and will get on your paint if it rains.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts