Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some turbo cars on the streets that have a flame emit from the exhaust when shifting, what causes this and how can I get my srt to do it? or is it even possible? :evil:

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
That is caused 3 ways.

1st.
Whenyour hit red line. THe ignition turns off and you have unburnt gas exit the head and it lights up when it hits the hot manifold.

2nd.
You let off the gas on a hard run. YOu tend to have more fuel in the cylinder which gives you a richer mixture and the unburned fuel lights off at the manifold. THis usually happens on cars that have a fuel system setup with a fuel computer. They like to add extra fuel when they let off the gas so the turbo keeps spooling due to the more fuel. But not all of it is light up so it lights up when it hits the manifold.

3rd.

Rice Mod. They sell a rice mod wher e you hook up a sparkplug in your exhaust pipe. YOu hace a spark plug coil hooked up to it. YOu enrichen yoru fuel with your AFC and then you hit a button that causes the plug to fire in your muffler and wala!

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
That is caused 3 ways.

1st.
Whenyour hit red line. THe ignition turns off and you have unburnt gas exit the head and it lights up when it hits the hot manifold.
Been there

Exhaust Depot said:
2nd.
You let off the gas on a hard run. YOu tend to have more fuel in the cylinder which gives you a richer mixture and the unburned fuel lights off at the manifold. THis usually happens on cars that have a fuel system setup with a fuel computer. They like to add extra fuel when they let off the gas so the turbo keeps spooling due to the more fuel. But not all of it is light up so it lights up when it hits the manifold.
Done that.

Exhaust Depot said:
3rd.

Rice Mod. They sell a rice mod wher e you hook up a sparkplug in your exhaust pipe. YOu hace a spark plug coil hooked up to it. YOu enrichen yoru fuel with your AFC and then you hit a button that causes the plug to fire in your muffler and wala!
Seen it :lol:

There is a 4th way, if your car is carburated. Get your car rolling, 3rd or 4th gear, and turn the car off will still in gear and rolling. Put the pedal to the floor for a few seconds. Lift the pedal and turn the key back to on (not start). BOOM! Turn around and pick up your muffler that you just blew off :twisted:

·
Registered
7 Posts
That spark plug thing isn't a rice mod...

have you ever seen flame shows at car shows? I've only seen clips, but I've heard that's how hot rodders would manage to emit flames a few feet long from their tailpipes. Nothing more kickass than a firebreathing hot rod :D

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
That is caused 3 ways.

1st.

2nd.

3rd.

Will an SRT-4 do #1 or #2?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I dont think you will be able to see it due to the spagettie muffler.

OH yeah, #4 as stated above. What I have done though is turn off the ignition while at WOT on a baggage Tug. I would get multiple pops. :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Excuse me for slightly getting off subject but isnt there something similiar that is used like that to keep the Turbo spooling during shifts? Kinda a rally thing I think.
:?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
If you were behind an SRT-4 at a stoplight, revving it's engine and seeing twin flames pour out of the exhaust, you wouldn't think it was pretty cool?

With the "Rice-Mod", can you turn this set-up off and on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
QwikSC2 said:
ahhhh....flame throwing....looks like someone's got Fast and the Furious on loop....GOD I HATE THAT MOVIE!!! :evil:
People have made their cars spit flames way before "The Fast and the Furious" :p Just a lot of things were made much more known/popular with that movie.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Youdrivewhat said:
Excuse me for slightly getting off subject but isnt there something similiar that is used like that to keep the Turbo spooling during shifts? Kinda a rally thing I think.
:?
Yes you are correct, thats what I stated above in my first reply. The only prlblem is that it tends to burn up the rear bumper after a while on most cars. On the mkiv supra I know this is an issue.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well if I can get it and not destroy my engine I think I might have to do it. If the bumper part is true its time to do some sheet metal work. :twisted:

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
definatly not a rice mod

the spark plug thing has been around since the 50's or earlier definatly not a rice thing at all. like someone said a lot of stuff was made more noticalbe cause of the F&F but people that been into hot rods for years have known all that stuff for a long time hell I was about 10 or maybe younger when I first saw flame thower hot rods(am 29 now)

I myself loved the F&F for a lot of reason but if for nothing else than it will help bring back hot rodding again and heck look at what Dodge has done and what other are now doing cause of it :-D

·
Registered
537 Posts
if I ever get the time and money you better believe my lead sled mercury is going to have a primer paint job with primer flames, chopped top, airbags to sit very low for cruising and normal height for driving, and spark plugs in the exhaust, baby :eek:nfire: !

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
It can also be done if your running too much fuel.

Also everyone... if your car runs 14's stock... how can you call anything done to the SRT-4 rice. Heh.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=FLAME

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.