Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had quite a wait to get our hands on an SRT-4. They are still not available in the DC area, so we decided to drive our new EVO from MD to SC to pick up a brand new yellow SRT-4.

I've been driving this thing around for the past few days, and while it's a HUGE change from the EVO, I really like our newest shop car.

If all goes well, it will be on the dyno next week and at the track on Friday. I want to get some baseline numbers then we start modifying this car. We've got some very big plans, and suspect a computer upgrade will do wonders for this car. Of course the first modification may be a set of tires. ;) It's been a long time since I’ve owned a car with traction problems at such a low HP level.

For those that care, the SRT4 is faster than a stock WRX from a roll, but not nearly as fast as an EVO on the highway.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hey, glad to hear that you've got a project car to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come out with. There's a few of us that are already buying every mod that comes along, so the sooner you get busy the better. ;-)

I don't think your assessment of the SRT-4 vs WRX vs EVO would surprise anyone. But I would like to say that there was an EVO8 at the drag strip last week and its times sucked a** big time. Could've been the driver tho'.

What tires are you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
nmyeti said:
We've had quite a wait to get our hands on an SRT-4. They are still not available in the DC area, so we decided to drive our new EVO from MD to SC to pick up a brand new yellow SRT-4.

I've been driving this thing around for the past few days, and while it's a HUGE change from the EVO, I really like our newest shop car.

If all goes well, it will be on the dyno next week and at the track on Friday. I want to get some baseline numbers then we start modifying this car. We've got some very big plans, and suspect a computer upgrade will do wonders for this car. Of course the first modification may be a set of tires. ;) It's been a long time since I’ve owned a car with traction problems at such a low HP level.

For those that care, the SRT4 is faster than a stock WRX from a roll, but not nearly as fast as an EVO on the highway.
Congrats on your wise purchase Nathan.

·
Registered
207 Posts
drolander said:
I don't think your assessment of the SRT-4 vs WRX vs EVO would surprise anyone. But I would like to say that there was an EVO8 at the drag strip last week and its times sucked a** big time. Could've been the driver tho'.
It was probably the driver, he might have also not properly broken it in, but it wouldn't affect his times severely if he could drive...

Those evos are tricky to launch, you have to get it JUST right or you will bog the entire run. The shifter kind of hesitant to shift "lightning quick" in my experience with them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drolander said:
Hey, glad to hear that you've got a project car to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come out with. There's a few of us that are already buying every mod that comes along, so the sooner you get busy the better. ;-)
I'll be testing a few basic modifications next week. I have some ideas for some inexpensive upgrades that should prove some big dividends.

drolander said:
With any luck I’ll take the EVO to the strip the same night as the SRT-4. On our dyno the EVO put 243hp to the wheels, so I really suspect it will run mid to low 13s.

I personally expected the SRT-4 to be a bit closer to the EVO on the highway, but the EVOs tight gearing must really be paying off up at higher speeds. I could leave the evo in 5th and have the SRT-4 in 4th. I let the SRT-4 driver punch it first. The EVO would get pulled for just a second then it would walk right by the SRT-4. Not exactly what I expected, but like I said the EVO is very seriously geared. They are quite a bit farther apart then their respective trap-speeds would suggest. Don't get me wrong, the SRT-4 is no slouch and the harder we drive it the faster it seems to be getting. I'll post dyno numbers next week.

drolander said:
What tires are you thinking of getting?
I have no idea at this point. We are very close with Toyo, so I might try to get something sticky from them, but I really haven't looked into it that much.

·
Super Moderator
6,317 Posts
Nathan: Please be sure to update us ASAP with any performance gains you guys obtain. Some of us are waiting patiently for track/Dyno proven parts to come out before buying what everyone else is buying.

P.S. As soon as you know which MBC of yours works the best on our cars let us know! :wink:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RUgoinup said:
P.S. As soon as you know which MBC of yours works the best on our cars let us know! :wink:

Without question, the DSBC is going to be the MBC of choice. At least that's what I am putting on my car later this week after we dyno it. I have a hard enough time launching the SRT-4 on stock boost. I'll run the DSBC so I can have low boost at launch and flip to high boost once I have enough traction to put the extra power to the ground.

Until our upgraded User programmable engine computer is finished, I have a few ideas about getting higher performance out of these cars on the cheap, and once I have the dyno charts and time slips I’ll fill you guys in a bit more.

I may leave the Neon on the dyno all next week so we can start getting some serious test data. I hope to run it at the track next weekend, but at this time I am undecided if I want to run it bone stock or if I want to just dyno it stock and then run it at the track with our MBC and a few other small upgrades.

Anyone here work for Dodge? I’d like to buy a set of shop manuals. Our dealership claims they don’t have them yet, but I know that’s BS because there is NO way DC would send the cars out without the dealers having at least some form of shop manual.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
There's a few folks with manuals, like Hector/Exhaust Depot. I'm sure he can fill you in.

What track are you planning on running at? I'll be at MIR on Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
try to post up here before you go. i wanna see you guys run this thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
lifeisdeath
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing