Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So finally after blowing clutches, sensors, hoses, TPS problems we got a decent run in.

Everything was left the same since we dynoed 369whp (20psi). Fuel is a bit rich all around 11:8 down low and 10.5:1 up top for safety reason :).

we had 1/2 tank of gas.

We finally got to use the 235/60/15 M&H D.O.T.'s.

She bogged all the runs launching at 3k and 3.5k. We hope to get some more runs next saturday! These tires were grippier than the BFG's.

oh yeah, density altitude on this run was 510ft.(compared to lucybops 7200 ft. plus) Funny thing is the announcer explained all of it so the bracket racers know a bit about bracket racing and correctly dialing in their cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Nice guys....Well with all the problems and not getting many runs like you've wanted to, those times are easily low 12's and high 11s. Your 60 foot is the key. Jeans car trappped 1mph more than mine in the 1/8th and 2mph more at the 1/4.

On MH 26x6x15 slicks, I was lanuching my car at 4000rpms with a progressive clutch release and the best I could muster was 1.9 60ft boosting 13lbs out the hole and switching to 24lbs in 2nd gear. Tire pressure cold was 12lbs rising to 15-16lbs hot...

A little trick I learned recently and have been practicing is use your parking brake when you stage and at the same time load up the clutch. It's tricky, but once you get it down, you can have your clutch engaged at 4000rpms and when you let go, the car just propells forward with less stress on the drivetrain.

Also, when you stage it's better to stage shallow on the tree. In other words just like the big dogs, use your parking brake to creep forward to get that lower tree light to come on. The more shallow you are, the quicker you're gonna go down the track. This is how I got my [email protected] I'll tell you how well this works, I decided to stage deep for a couple of runs and my 60fts went to 2.0-2.1 and my ETs went from 12.2-3s to 12.6-7s.

Nivo/Jean you guys are well on your way and oh by the way, you can safely run your in the low 12s F/A and make more power. I run in the high 12s all the time and I've seen Steve Andersons car run in the low to mid 13s many many times with many compression tests revieling steady and consistant readings with no signs of degradation. However, he ran C16 pure and I run 2 to 1 93 octane with C16 for safety and it works very well making the power you need to trap higher and record faster ETs....

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Steve, thank you so much for the kind words and suggestions! I know the car has an 11 second run in there, now it's all up to ME and my driving!

I'm having to re-learn all the rules on drag racing my car now. With the new clutch and drag radials, I am dealing with a whole new set of rules.

I was babying the car big time yesterday, hesitating to come out of the hole at 4000rpms. I just finished breaking in the brand new Spec 3f clutch! But now it's very clear to me that I must launch at least at 4000rpms in order to spool up this turbo! I bogged so badly on the three runs I had yesterday, all in the 12's, and all three with 116 to 117mph.

I know that when I re-learn how to drive this beast, I should be able to pull off very low 12's and if I can re-perfect the launch and pull off a 1.9 60', I should see a high 11 second run!

I'm just so relieved nothing broke yesterday and that it seems that the problems are finally solved. It's just me and Nivo, working around full time work schedules to get this car where it should be!

This week we will tune the car, it's running very rich on top, and also we are changing out our oil and tranny fluids to Leading Edge!

Oh and a note about the Spec 3f clutch: IT ROCKS! So grippy, it threw me back in the seat at each shift and on the 12.51 run, it threw me back so hard my foot came off the gas pedal! I absolutely love this clutch!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Wow.. Congrats Jean and Nivo! Great run!

I do have a ? though. With the new tire what RPM do you guys go through the traps at? The big M&H's look so tuff!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
SY04SRT4 said:
Wow.. Congrats Jean and Nivo! Great run!

I do have a ? though. With the new tire what RPM do you guys go through the traps at? The big M&H's look so tuff!
Well I will check on that next weekend to be sure, but if I had to wager a guess, it would be about 3000rpms. I shift into forth gear somewhere after the 1000' mark so that would put me in the 3000rpm range I believe. But I will make a point to check next time.

I will say this about these big tires, I don't have to shift now until well after the 60' box!

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Glad to see things going coming along again guys! I know we'll see that 11 second banner in your sigs soon. ;)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
SRTGURL said:
Well I will check on that next weekend to be sure, but if I had to wager a guess, it would be about 3000rpms. I shift into forth gear somewhere after the 1000' mark so that would put me in the 3000rpm range I believe. But I will make a point to check next time.

I will say this about these big tires, I don't have to shift now until well after the 60' box!

Cool! I know it's hard to pay attention to everything. i find myself just driving until the 3-4 shift then I check out the boost/Tach through the traps. That is unless im fender racing!

I am just curious to know what the RPM is with that big tire. My car traps just over 5K RPM on the same size BFG's you guys had before. Can't wait to see you guys in the 11's!

Hopefully the owner of my current project (Red 2003 SRT4 ATP Kit...What a coincidence) will let me try his car out at the strip!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
SRT-4aKId said:
If you shift at redline the car only falls back to 4500rpms.....How would tires, a clutc, and a big turbo make it bog down that low?
I'm bogging off the line. I only revved to 3500rpms and that was not high enough to come off the line so the car basically falls on it's face from the launch.

On the 12.51 run, I couldn't get a good burnout so the tires were not hot and sticky...I launched at 3000rpms. On the next run, I did get a good burnout but should have launched higher than 3500rpms...it should have been more like 4000rpms. So with big sticky tires and a clutch that grabs immediately, and with a big turbo that begins to spool at 2800rpms, in order to be in full spool off the line, looks like I'm going to have to launch at least at 4000rpms now.

That is what test and tune is all about...finding the sweet spot for getting the best launch according to the conditions.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yay! You guys going for the Vette Viper day? :)

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
red said:
3f ?????????????????????
please clue me in.
Well, my Spec Stage 3i clutch failed on me at the track a few weeks ago. They sent me a replacement clutch, but sent me the new Stage 3f clutch instead. It has a shorter break in period and can hold more horsepower than the Stage 3i.

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, just transfered the video of one of the runs. Unfortunately I did not get jeans first run as I had recorded another SRT4 thinking it was jeans, needless to say I thought she had a bad run and left the stands. shortly after all of the New England crew is yelling at me "she ran a [email protected]".

So yeah, idiot me thought another car was hers....pretty funny!

Jeans video - "right click save as"​

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.