Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a AEM cai and was wandering if it would be alright to take the intake off, and just run the filter on the turbo only? Is this safe? I tried using the search but couldn't find nothing. I know the hot air under the hood isn't as good as the cold air from the fender well, but sometimes it gets a little wet under there.......... Will this also make the turbo a little louder? Thanks for any help or responses.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have a friend running open turbo no filter and he swears its the best thing ever... I don't know I wouldnt really trust it like that

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
armeN said:
I wouldnt do it... its too hot back there!
I was thinking the same thing until I realized that, stock, a rubber hose is connected to the turbo compressor inlet, so it should be fine (if you can get it to fit).

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had seen a picture of a setup on here a couple of weeks ago with the filter only, but can't find it now. I was also wanting to know what else had to be done to finish the job? I believe I would also have to have a small filter to put on the end of the valve cover where the hose is that runs into the intake. And what about the sensor that plugs into the intake?

·
Registered
773 Posts
There is so much hot air back there and the stock intake is so well designed I think you would be better off staying stock. Any gain you get airflow wise by putting the filter on the turbo would be negaited by the heat. I also just wouldn't take the chance of the filter melting and throwing hot chunks of rubber in to the turbo.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't do it man. Engineers don't design the parts the way they do because putting the filter right on the turbo is a GOOD IDEA.... If it was a good idea they would design it that way.... Come on Masters in Mechanical Engineering vs. average car guy...... NO Brainer

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
1kysrt4 said:
I had seen a picture of a setup on here a couple of weeks ago with the filter only, but can't find it now. I was also wanting to know what else had to be done to finish the job? I believe I would also have to have a small filter to put on the end of the valve cover where the hose is that runs into the intake. And what about the sensor that plugs into the intake?
There was someone who put a K&N filter directly on the turbo with no issues of melting or cracking. I don't remember the part number but it should be roaming around.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
You can install a filter right onto the turbo. People do it all the time in other car. I would just get a short ram intake thought just because of the heat getting pulled in. Just take the other half of piping that runs the filter into the fender off and put the filter on there

·
Registered
379 Posts
I understand about all the heat, but wouldn't the intercooler help negate all the extra heat? You would probably want to have a LFMIC. I've heard about some wrx guys doing this on there car's.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
your intercooler has nothing to do with the intake.... dude its just not safe and not recomended... theres a reason why engineers designed the long pipe from the turbo as mentioned earlier. just stick with what you got.

·
Registered
126 Posts
orrrrrrrrrrrr.. the best idea would be.. if u want to do that.. you can get a custom hood..so the scoop is right next to the turbo and the intake.. like subaru's.. you will get helaa cold air.... but idk... just a thought.. :lol:

·
Registered
707 Posts
There is a guy I know who has a big turbo with just a filter. His name on here is lewie something. As for the air being hot, if the filter was right on the turbo, wouldn't the "functional" hood vents be blowing right on it?

·
Supporting Vendor (Gold), SRT of the Month
7,512 Posts
oscar91932 said:
There was someone who put a K&N filter directly on the turbo with no issues of melting or cracking. I don't remember the part number but it should be roaming around.
i was one of them. i sold the filter when i though i wanted to sell my car. now i changed my mind. i thinkg i gained a weee bit of top end with it. the sound did get irritating sometime, but then there were the times it was badass.

heres pics:

nigel

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
The MOPAR rally car ,runs just a filter diectly atached to the turbo also._______5TOEZ_________

1 - 20 of 30 Posts