Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was noticing that my factory calipers seem to be loosing some of their red powdercoat every time I wash the wheels and tires. I use Westley's bleach white or orange blast cleaner to clean them. I noticed them becoming dull and wiped my hand over the front ones and red paint wiped off onto my cleaning rags. Has anyone else had this problem? Could I put a clear coat over them? :wah?!:

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Never had it happen in the 15,000+ miles I've had my '04.
Also never used all that stuff you guys are using. I just use water, a rag, and good old elbow grease. So it may be that whatever you are using to clean it is also stripping the paint off the calipers.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My red comes off my rag also. and all i have been using is good old soap and water and some elbow grease. And Ive had my car for 6500 miles. They look great wet but when they dry they are dulled.

Mike

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Maybe it's like with the paint on the rotors. After a while, the factory switched to a different style/chemical composition paint?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cleaners are fine as long as you spray it on and immediately wash it off after you wipe the area to be cleaned. Dilute the cleaner some if you are worried. I have been using them for 15 years without any problems with my wheels on many different vehicles. Just don't use acid! I have seen dealerships and detailers use it but it can really screw up a set of wheels if ya don't take extreme care. Later,LB

·
Registered
562 Posts
iball said:
Never had it happen in the 15,000+ miles I've had my '04.
Also never used all that stuff you guys are using. I just use water, a rag, and good old elbow grease. So it may be that whatever you are using to clean it is also stripping the paint off the calipers.
thats the best way to do it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The ghettofied way to keep them shiny is to take a rag and spread on a light coat of something like armor all. It actually works and keeps them shiny for a week or more... :rofl: A temporary fix, but it's not that hard to do and looks rather decent. Of course you do it lightly otherwise the paint comes off onto the rag like others have mentioned.

On a somewhat related note - a good, quick way to keep your wheelwell liners nice and clean looking is to first, spray them down real good with a power sprayer, cover your tires with some shop cloths (or remove them all together, say, during a tire rotation) and spray that tire foam/cleaner on the wheel well liners. Cleans them up and makes that plastic nice and black and not a dingy gray.

·
Registered
328 Posts
:flame: I have a little over 2000 miles on my '04 and the front calipers are all dull looking. I haven't tried to wipe them off yet, but just from experience with other things that look similar, I would expect the red to wipe off on the rag if I did. :flame:

Donovan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.