Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious reply's only please,

my srt4 has 66k on it and I did a side exit exhaust and there is no popping/ crackle coming from the exhaust, I really want this sound back. any ideas?
I dont remember having a distinct crackle popping when i had stock exhaust either.

I thought it was due to my in-tune so i reloaded the old tune and still no pop. once in a while i will get 1 big pop on decel but then just a loud exhaust.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Mine doesn't pop either. Open exhaust. :crying2: Its the tune.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Factory tune won't "pop" and backfire either. What you want (assuming you're on stock turbo) is the Stage 1 calibration/ECU. When I was on stock turbo in my old car I went from Stage 0 with 03 injectors to Mopar Stage 1 with 04 injectors and BAM. Backfired and popped like a son of a gun. That car was also OEM exhaust with a cat delete.... However, the exhaust isn't the biggest factor.... Like T4EaterJohnny said it's in the tune!!!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update:

Update:
I spoke with a local guy here that has a bone stock srt4, stock computer, factory tune, minimal upgrades, just a down pipe and it snaps and crackles like crazy.
I spoke with one of the techs from Dodge, he said they are programmed from the factory to do this upon decel the injectors stay open. he advised me to run a fuel pressure test along with injector balance test.
he said if anything the tune should increase the aggressiveness of the noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a pop tune from MI Tuning and my has not pop,crackle,burple hell it doesnt even popcorn when cruising on a decel it sounds like a regular 4 banger exhaust? Mods are agp bws turbo, agp wastegate 19psi spring but holding 16psi at wot no drops, big front mount intercooler, 3 inch 02 housing along with 3inch exhaust all the way back (no cat), oil catch can, ps cooler, act 6 puck clutch, 68k miles on motor compression 155 across the board. I'm at a stump I paid for the tune because I like the pop but u get absolutely nothing at all just steady exhaust while rpms drop I can speed up to 4500 rpm and let off on a decel and not one pop comes out just ricer sound dropping. Any help would great on where to start? Possible vacuum lines not routed right? Just replaced 02 sensors due to running lean and nothing changed

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
If it was doing it before, then you got a tune and it stopped, they may not have correctly set the "deceleration fuel shutoff". The pops and run-on are due to the injectors still firing a small amount of fuel during decel that gets burned in the exhaust system.

If you installed all the upgrades at once along with the tune, it would be good to go over all the vacuum lines and components. You could also have the common problem with the throttle position sensor (TPS) wiring going bad or bad again if repaired/replaced earlier in the car's life. If the computer thinks the throttle isn't closed it can eventually cause problems with high idle and might affect the fuel shutoff on coasting/deceleration.

Reactions: HybridKid

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seems to run fine idles perfect except when I'm in a parking lot or reversing just when I'm going really slow I press in the clutch to come to a stop and the idle drops to 500 and bogs but instantly catches itself an jumps up to perfect idle it never stalls just a quick drop then back up but not when I'm driving normal down the road I push the clutch an it drops to perfect idle

·
Super Moderator
16,769 Posts
I have stage 1 with AGP WGA, and the Mopar Borla exhaust, installed at 36k miles, right as she came out of warranty. Immediately lost the snap crackle pop, for the most part. Still a tiny bit, but mostly gone, very aggravating. I've just lived with it, but when I finally get things up and running with the stage 3 I am hoping it is back.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
If the TPS wiring is very tight or stretched, it's probably good to replace the connector and harness with a repair kit. Without doing a lot of data logging and possibly using an oscilloscope to very, with the car's age there also a chance that the idle air control (IAC) valve/motor is going bad, sticking, or needs a good cleaning with electrical parts cleaner (not brake cleaner or other plastic-damaging solvents).

If your tuner isn't responsive to answering questions about how they set up the deceleration fuel shutoff, since you're not too heavily modified and the car should run reasonably well on a stock tune for testing purposes (assuming you're still stock manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor). You could always flash back to stock and see if the behavior changes, but I'd try to stay out of heavy boost.

If the tuner just tweaked some settings based on a stock calibration (tune) it may be fairly crackle and pop-less. If they based their tweaks off one of the Mopar Performance "Stage" tunes and used those deceleration fuel shutoff settings there should be a small but noticeable difference, especially with large exhaust and no catalytic converter.

Reactions: HybridKid

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any luck I'm having the same issue
I changed my spark plug gap and it helped slightly by changing how loud the pops were but they still stop after a couple but start right back up if I tap the pedal. I have mine gapped to .43 currently.might go bigger considering the lack of humidity out here but dont want spark blow out either. Tightening you exaust manifold also helps because they have a tendency to loosen themselves overtime. As for it only popping a little and not continuously popping I'm at a loss and dont know what to change next

·
Super Moderator
16,769 Posts
After installing Stage 1 on my car back in 09' I lost most of the snap/crackle/pop on deceleration/downshifting, it's really aggravating but it has been so long now I guess I don't notice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After installing Stage 1 on my car back in 09' I lost most of the snap/crackle/pop on deceleration/downshifting, it's really aggravating but it has been so long now I guess I don't notice.
I've had my car about a year now and in the begining it sounded fucking amazing, now it still sounds great but on decel it doesnt continuously pop like it used to I have to tap the gas pedal to make it start back up

·
Registered
17 Posts
EXACTLY, that's the same thing I deal with, it's odd, because you wouldn't think that's a spark issue, more like fuel delivery (air/fuel programming), ECU settings.
My thought was it was possibly not able to ignite all the fuel tbh but I'm starting to wonder if it's my iac because it is older and when you let off the gas it is supposed to help with the decel supposedly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.