Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to turbo cars as you can tell by the topic. I've had my SRT for about 9 months now and I'm still not really sure what's the purpose of an intercooler. I just know that turbo cars have them and I'm assuming they help keep the turbo cool.

I noticed that some of you have the big intercooler and I was wondering what's the benefit of a larger intercooler. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
When the compressed air leaves the turbo it is very hot. The intercooler cools the air so it will create better power once it gets into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, so a bigger intercooler helps cool more air and allows more cool air into the intake manifold?

·
Registered
907 Posts
it goes back down to phsics....colder air is more dense. so by cooling the air from the turbo u allow more of it to go into the engine

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AnimalCracker885 said:
it goes back down to phsics....colder air is more dense. so by cooling the air from the turbo u allow more of it to go into the engine
So, when air is sucked in through the intake, it goes directly through the turbo, then through the intercooler and into the intake manifold?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
bigmixx said:
So, when air is sucked in through the intake, it goes directly through the turbo, then through the intercooler and into the intake manifold?
yes sir.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The turbo compresses the air. As you compress the air, the air heats up (basic gas laws will tell you this - PV=nRT). In order to keep intake temps down, build power, and decrease the risk of detonation, intercoolers are used to cool the compressed air from the turbo down to a more appropriate level.

·
Registered
172 Posts
To add what these guys are saying. If you look at the Stage 2 W toys there is a sprayer that allow you to cool the Intercooler further. Wich if you follow what the guys are saying here (cold More condensed)..well you get the picture.

Good section in the faq Turbo 101..

Should read that ..hell I did.

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
bigmixx said:
Oh, so a bigger intercooler helps cool more air and allows more cool air into the intake manifold?
One thing to keep in mind when you say more cool air into the intake manifold. There is this little gate keeper know as the throttle body. It allows that nice cool air to flow through to the intake manifold. But, it can only allow so many CFM of air through no matter what's on the other side. Install a larger throttle body and you'll get more of that nice cool air through and more HP. Physics Physics Physics now I know why I took it in school. :lol:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well by all of that info and the intercooler sprayer statement, will it perform better if you're driving through rain? That is cold water hitting the intercooler.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Townhouse said:
Well by all of that info and the intercooler sprayer statement, will it perform better if you're driving through rain? That is cold water hitting the intercooler.
Good Question ... :lol:

Im gona say yes but theres is a higher humidity factore involved as well.
I don't know if that hinder the performance of the blower.
Goin to leave this one to the PROS...anybody.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i would say NO, only because rain isnt as cold as the the intercooler would LIKE it to be....my guess, correct me if I'm wrong, though.

and then add in the humidity factor (like slans said)

·
Registered
59 Posts
In order to take advantage of a bigger intercooler, you must have greater air velocity/air flow. I doubt that you will see any gains by installing just a larger intercooler, running stock boost and if you do nothing else to improve the airflow.

Keep in mind the more volume you have (bigger intercooler), the longer it takes to fill that void. You may experience lag/decreased power.

·
Registered
380 Posts
SRTFOUR said:
In order to take advantage of a bigger intercooler, you must have greater air velocity/air flow. I doubt that you will see any gains by installing just a larger intercooler, running stock boost and if you do nothing else to improve the airflow.

Keep in mind the more volume you have (bigger intercooler), the longer it takes to fill that void. You may experience lag/decreased power.

a bigger intercooler can dissipate the heat easier.... and the volume has the be the same because the intercooler piping is the same diameter... the intercooler helps keep the detonation down aswell

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hopper said:
a bigger intercooler can dissipate the heat easier.... and the volume has the be the same because the intercooler piping is the same diameter... the intercooler helps keep the detonation down aswell
Yeah...it's heat mass transfer. I don't know what you mean about the piping being the same...it's not. The below should answer questions about intercoolers...increased surface area...introducing water to an intercooler...pressure drops (boost decrease). It's a good write up for those who want to read it. :zzzz:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/intercooler.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts