Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, just curious as to approximately how long it has taken yall, or you would expect it to take, to install the mopar performance exhaust and a mopar sts. I did a search and didnt find any threads on this. Any input? I'm not car retarded, did a gear swap in my old car from 2.42s to limited slip 3.50 and that was probably my biggest car project, handled it. How tough is this if its all supposed to come with what you need and be direct replacements? Lil help? Thanks.

Oh yeah, I was also planning on getting a mopar air filter (worth it? I chose it cause no current intakes have CARB #s and I heard the stock airbox is actually halfway decent)...should these three "mods" together yield any butt dyno results? Is this exhaust very much louder than stock? I don't wanna be obnoxiously loud, cops here don't take too kindly to that.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
STS = 1/2 hour tops

Exhaust = 1 hour + (alignment is the bitch of it)

-Mobotix

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Mobotix said:
STS = 1/2 hour tops

Exhaust = 1 hour + (alignment is the bitch of it)

-Mobotix

I find your numbers hard to believe. Someone with normal hand tools, should expect at least an one and half hours for the STS, and 2-3 for the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I don't have normal hand tools...my dad is one of those guys who has every dad gum tool under the sun and knows how to use them. We used to have a lathe, mill, table saws galore, welding equipment, etc. Now just a couple 5' toolboxes full of crap...I hope it wouldn't take that long, then again, whenever I do it it'll be a weekend so its not like I won't have the whole day to play.

·
Registered
364 Posts
its takes about 20 minutes for the short throw only because of those damn clips that hold the shift cables in place, and about an hour for the exhaust if you get lucky with the alignment of the tips

·
Registered
210 Posts
I did my sts in about 30 min.The only hard part is getting those 2 clips off that hold the cables in place.But they come off pretty well with a flat head screw driver and a hammer to get them off...And the booger bushings only take a minute they come right off and on..As long as you got a socket set and a phillips screwdriver your fine it'll go by fast...good luck lata... :clap:

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
CrosbySRT said:
I find your numbers hard to believe. Someone with normal hand tools, should expect at least an one and half hours for the STS, and 2-3 for the exhaust.
I find your numbers comical unless you've never touched a car before.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about the shifter ball...I don't want a new one, how do I remove it? Go down the street and slam second?

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
slow79ford said:
How about the shifter ball...I don't want a new one, how do I remove it? Go down the street and slam second?
that, or wrap it in a towel and hit it with a rubber mallet.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
30 minutes for the STS. 15 with experienced help:) I just grabbed the ball and yanked up. BTW, that is the only time my ball has ever come off.:)

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Nope, its apressure fit. The shifter rod has a sloping valley notch in it. The ball has a spring metal piece that snaps into that valley. Since it's sloped, no harm in removing and reiinstalling it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, thanks! Any input/recommendation/disrecommendation on the mopar air filter vs waiting to see if any intake systems get CARB #s in the distant future?

·
Registered
25 Posts
According to IceMan they are putting in for CARB on there intake, they are said to be the best. :clap:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Meaning they are awaiting approval? (which takes upwards of a year) or they have one...Guess I'll try to contact them, thanks.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
slow79ford said:
Cool, thanks! Any input/recommendation/disrecommendation on the mopar air filter vs waiting to see if any intake systems get CARB #s in the distant future?
The Mopar catalog has a disclaimer under their performance air filters that says "Not for use on pollution controlled vehicles or vehicles registered for highway use". I had no idea an air-filter could be considered "illegal". If you live near the bay area, I'll give you mine for free.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
as a "no shit assesment" I'd say 2-3 hours total with handtools and jackstands. If you were in a garage with a lift and air tools maybe half that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i agree...but

Bin4ry said:
as a "no shit assesment" I'd say 2-3 hours total with handtools and jackstands. If you were in a garage with a lift and air tools maybe half that.
although these install times seem close...if you are aperfectionist like me the tips can take an hour just to line up.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
tooziggy said:
According to IceMan they are putting in for CARB on there intake, they are said to be the best. :clap:
http://www.icemanmotorsports.com/index.html
It seems as though they do not have the CARB yet...at least according to their site. So maybe they just submitted it.

As for the filter being illegal in CA, that is not true according to Mopar. I am looking slightly to the right of my computer at my parts catalogue and the filter alone does not say illegal for use on pollution controlled streets. A lot of the parts do have that * and statement, but none of the filter alone part numbers are shown like that.
http://www.mopar.com/street/catalogs.htm

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I just ordered my Mopar STS, anyone have any guides that show the install. I am not car stupid but I am paranoid of fucking my transmission up. I just want to do it right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts