Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people's general practice is around here regarding "cool down" idling before engine shut off.

Specifically I'm wondering if you haven't been driving hard, do you let the car idle before shutting down or do you just shut down? For instance, if I'm just running over to the 7-11 and drive like a normal person to get there, I don't bother letting it idle. That shouldn't be a problem should it? The manual essentially says if you're driving conservatively, then there is no cool down required.

But what if you drive a 30 minute commute in traffic and a couple times during that 30 minute commute you hit it? But say you haven't hit it for over 10 minutes when you pull in to the garage. Do you let it idle?

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If you are driving hard, I'd say at least 2-3 minutes. I think that's what the manual suggests. It doesn't hurt to let it idle a little longer than that. During regular driving, I let it idle 30 seconds before I shut it off.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Regular driving, no cool down time.

Hard driving... just cruise for the last few miles or idle it for a min or two. If your really paranoid get an oil temp gauge.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
OK, before my TT, I would sit in my car for a couple on minutes before I shut down. Now, I've been monitoring my TT, the cool down is usually about 30 sec. My TT is set to a minimum cool down of 20 sec. and it builds from there. My TT monitors my boost and my RPMs to calculate the time needed for cool down. Keep in mind, when you are at stop lights or in traffic, cooling is happening. I've watched my time build as I'm boostin and I've watched my time decrease as I am idling at a stop light. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It helps a lot. I'm totally being paranoid right now because it's my first turbo car. It sounds like if I'm driving cool like a cucumber, then 30 seconds max before shut down is more than adequate (even that is probably unnecessary). I've been waiting like 3 minutes every time just because I'm so paranoid and I'm still under 1000 miles and not on synthetic and...

I have new car paranoia, it's that paranoia where you just drive listening for something to go wrong. What was that thump? Is that a good rattle or a bad rattle?

I'm sure I'll chill in another month or so.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I just follow what the good book says. Driving sane? No cool down needed. Getting on the juice? Give it a couple/three minutes.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you can afford a turbo timer, I'd get it. Otherwise, I'm a paranoid f*cker.....so I'd sit there for a minute or two and let it cool down. Unlike a supercharger, a turbo keeps spinning.

·
Premium Member
14,830 Posts
Driving like a normal person :?: In an SRT-4 :?: You don't accelerate until you must slow down? Who are you people :?: Help, I think all the people in this forum have been replaced by replicants!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
thispainisours
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing