Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since some of our lucky, warm state friends will have an SRT soon, I decided to ask a friend that is a knowledgeable engineer how to break in an engine.

<SNIP>
If it was MY CAR, I would drive gingerly (no cold WOT runs, keep it below 4000 rpm) for the first 500 miles. Change the oil/filter with some good synthetic oil, and drive it like it was meant to be driven If you dyno a green motor (<500 miles), it will make significantly less power than a well broken in one - this is pretty universally known and I imagine it applies to the SRT-4 as well (especially being force-fed). I noticed basically the same phenomenon on my motorcycle... 500 miles light riding, then ride normally with brief WOT runs - the motor became stronger with every ride .. Brief WOT runs can be beneficial as they aid in ring seating.... The key is to run WOT for a short sprint (~5 seconds), then coast (engine breaking) for a bit...... This heating/accelerating and cooling/decelerating really does an efficient job at ring seating.

I hope you get one, man..... The SRT-4 sounds like a monster. You'll have to let me drive it when you get it
<SNIP>

Then, I did some digging and look what else I found..............

Page 42 of the SRT-4 owners manual:

Break In Recommendations

The engine in your new vehicle does not require a long break-in period.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 kph) are desireable.

While Cruising, brief full throttle acceleration, within the limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.

Wide open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The crankcase oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with expected climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. The recommended viscosity and quality grades are in Section 7 of this manual.

Do not use non-detergent or straight mineral oils.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles of operation. This is a normal part of the break-in period and not an indication of a problem.

Section 7 (Page 123 excerpt)

The manufacturer recommends the use of Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic engine oil.

Hope this helps guys!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
And don't say you got it out of your SRT 4's glove compartment either. :lol: Great information. That will definitely help me out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I don't have any format that can be posted..

·
Premium Member
5,578 Posts
maybe after it comes out.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just reviving for those who are buying their cars now and haven't seen it. Follow these directions - prolong your vehicle and get the most power out of the engine!!!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
just to clear things up., im assuming moderate acceleration in 1st and 2nd maybe some 3rd, get up to a good speed let it engine break back down, get back on it, let it come down, repeat?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Heh, break it in like you plan on driving it. When I bought my R/T new in 1998 I was redlining it within the first 100 miles. Powershifts, clutch dumps, you name, it went through it all. Motor is still untouched in the 68,000 miles that I've put on it. I wouldn't recommend running anything that hard, but it's worked well for me so far.

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts