Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the E-01 last night with the help of some friends (Thanks Hector for the install video) but I am having a hard time getting it setup.

The most boost I can get is about 7psi. Doesnt matter if I turn the e-01 off or run low boost (15psi) or high boost (17psi) settings.

I tried changing my gain from 0-10 without any change. FWIW my start boost is 10psi for both low and high settings.

I will snap some pictures tonight of my setup but I'm pretty sure it's instaleld right. Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong?

Also, I have a TurboXS WGA that was holding 15psi to redline with my old MBC.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
You might have your vacume lines wired up wrong. The boost solinoid but me
pluged in wrong and you have the vacume lines mixed up. Make sure you have
the WGA line going to the right section on the boost seliniod.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
7psi sounds way to low. even with the unit turned off you should get what ever the spring tension inside the wga is set to. AGP is 12psi. So with eo1 off you shoudl run 12psi if you had agp unit.

ALso 10% is nothing. Raise it up to say 40% and see what happens. Get ready to get off the gas so you dont boost to much. Try hooking up a direct pressure source to the wga bypassing your solenoid. Im curious as to what the txs unit is set to. I hope its not a 7lb spring for your sake.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Will do, I'm stuck at work right now.

I think part of the problem was I had it on auto mode. I just went out and switched to manu mode and re inputed my values. Here's what I am now seeing.

"Start Boost" is set at 16psi in both instances. Both runs were done in third gear from about 3200-6000rpm

1) Set = 50%
Gain = 10
Boost as read on E-01 = 12psi
Boost as read on stock gauge = 14psi

2) Set = 70%
Gain = 10
Boost as read on E-01 = 15psi
Boost as read on stock gauge = 18psi

In the second instance it would hold steady then slowly fall to 15psi at redline.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
NO!!!! Do not use auto mode!!!!

The automode feature will not work on a stock setup being that the WGA spring tension is way to low. Use the manual mod.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Exhaust Depot said:
NO!!!! Do not use auto mode!!!!

The automode feature will not work on a stock setup being that the WGA spring tension is way to low. Use the manual mod.
I'm not using a stock spring. I went ahead and changed to manual mode and re-entered everything. Just editied my post to show what I was seeing.

As you can see, there is a descrepancy between what the stock gauge is seeing and what the E-01 is reading. Is this due to some value setting in the E-01 that I have to set or due to the difference where the two are picking up the reading. I know the stock gauge reads boost right from the intake manifold. I'm not sure about the E-01. I know there will be a 1-2psi drop in pressure between the turbo and the manifold due to the intercooler and piping.

Also, at idle my gauge is reading -18psi while the E-01 only reading -9.3psi. Hrrmmmm

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The eo1 is reading a negative number in PSI where as your factory gauge is reading the vacuum in mm of mercury which are two different values. In the boost range they will read the same.

If yoru only pushing 7psi and you hvae a 12lb spring then you have a leak somewhere because you should not be able to boost under what your spring is set to internaly.

THe eo1 is hooked up to the intake manifold. The factory gauge is too but its hooked up to the brake booster. There is a fat lineunder the manifold that leads to the brake booster. This is where that factory T into it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How can I test what my spring tension is set at? Just turn the boost controller off, right?

You mentioned "Try hooking up a direct pressure source to the wga bypassing your solenoid. Im curious as to what the txs unit is set to. I hope its not a 7lb spring for your sake."

Do you mean running a hose from the WGA directly to the turbo where the solenoid is teed into now?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to learn this thing.

·
Registered
545 Posts
silverscooby said:
Will do, I'm stuck at work right now.

I think part of the problem was I had it on auto mode. I just went out and switched to manu mode and re inputed my values. Here's what I am now seeing.

"Start Boost" is set at 16psi in both instances. Both runs were done in third gear from about 3200-6000rpm

1) Set = 50%
Gain = 10
Boost as read on E-01 = 12psi
Boost as read on stock gauge = 14psi

2) Set = 70%
Gain = 10
Boost as read on E-01 = 15psi
Boost as read on stock gauge = 18psi

In the second instance it would hold steady then slowly fall to 15psi at redline.
When I am set up like this on the e-01 it reads 17.7 psi on the e01.
Set = 61%
Gain =12
Start =10

·
Registered
545 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
The eo1 is reading a negative number in PSI where as your factory gauge is reading the vacuum in mm of mercury which are two different values. In the boost range they will read the same.

If yoru only pushing 7psi and you hvae a 12lb spring then you have a leak somewhere because you should not be able to boost under what your spring is set to internaly.

THe eo1 is hooked up to the intake manifold. The factory gauge is too but its hooked up to the brake booster. There is a fat lineunder the manifold that leads to the brake booster. This is where that factory T into it.

Hec, when I raise the Gain does that increase spool time?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Because the directions are in japanese english (for anyone who has lived there like I have, it can be difficult...), and it mentions a 2.8 psi difference between start boost and the set boost, now what I need to know, is whether they should be within 2.8 psi of each other, or at least 2.8 psi apart. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dangerously_cool said:
Because the directions are in japanese english (for anyone who has lived there like I have, it can be difficult...), and it mentions a 2.8 psi difference between start boost and the set boost, now what I need to know, is whether they should be within 2.8 psi of each other, or at least 2.8 psi apart. Thanks.
The manual says

"3. START BOOST
This feature is used to improve the turbo spool up by holding the signal to the wastegate which holds the wastegate completely closed until the boost reaches the Start Boost value. If the value is too close to the SET Boost value, the boost will over shoot (boost spike.) Set this feature 20kPa (.2kg/cm2, 2.8psi) less that the SET boost value."

By reading that my understanding is that, if your SET value (50% or whatever) ends up being 18psi then your START BOOST should be 15.2psi.

Anyone else care to comment?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
The higher the start boost the quicker it will spool up. If your start booost is to high, you will spike. The gain is what you mess with your spiking. But remember, you will still spike if your start is to high.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
autorail1 said:
When I am set up like this on the e-01 it reads 17.7 psi on the e01.
Set = 61%
Gain =12
Start =10
Ok, I tried that setup and got 15psi on the e-01 and 17psi on the gauge.

Also I turned the Set to zero to see what kind of wastegate tension I was running. Ended up hitting 7.0psi creeping up to 9psi at redline according to the stock boost gauge and 7.5psi creeping up to 8.75psi according to the e-01.

I am stumped at this point. I think i have a good grasp on how to controll the e-01 but am confused on the results. FWIW, I also installed a catch can (from Hector as well) last night. One thing I did notice is that the car is holding revs when i put it in neutral and blip the throttle. The sound is different and the rpms dont fall down fast, they kind stay there then slowly fall. Sounds like a boost leak somewhere. What do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts