Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was out today in my friend's SRT and we drove it around for a bit....the CEL came on and the Turbo/exhaust were glowing red hot...what would cause this?...we added gas and thats about it and boosted on some cars.....we werent sure about the gas if we had added 89 or 93 so we popped in some 104 octane booster to play it safe....it has ehhh 2k on the clock...still stock...anyone?

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nah just a simple bleed :oops: 1/8x1/4x1/4 tee..car went from 11-12psi to 15-16psi :shock:

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
geez i mean the car was only spiking to 12 with this mod it hit 15-16
i have a feeling the turbo is not capable stock of high boost operation i meant any TD guy here would agree with me based on past Mitsu turbo experiences

·
Registered
33 Posts
acr2nv said:
the Turbo/exhaust were glowing red hot...what would cause this?...
Although I can not say for sure about the SRT-4, this is a normal thing for DSM's(Eclipse/Talon/Laser) Our Turbo exhaust housings & our manifolds get extreamly hot. If you look at them at night after a good run, they glow like a cherry. My crusing tem's run around 1400F-1450F and at the 1/4 I peak about 1550F-1600F.

we added gas and thats about it and boosted on some cars.....we werent sure about the gas if we had added 89 or 93 so we popped in some 104 octane booster to play it safe....
Gas isn't everything.... I'm sure you know that, but what it's basicly doing with higher octane is dropping your chances of spark knock. This in turn usualy makes the ECU happy and gives you better ignition timing(which = more power)

Higher Octane does not mean MORE FUEL...... DO NOT confuse the two, or it will bite you in your ass.

Well i was out today in my friend's SRT and we drove it around for a bit....the CEL came on
You need to find out why. Are you running a SOLID 16PSI ? or is only for a split second. 16PSI runs on a stock fuel system might be riding the line a little to close. I wouldn't recommend going over 15PSI until you get some gauges in there to verify what your engine/fuel system is doing/can handle.

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
acr2nv said:
Well i was out today in my friend's SRT and we drove it around for a bit....the CEL came on and the Turbo/exhaust were glowing red hot...what would cause this?...we added gas and thats about it and boosted on some cars.....we werent sure about the gas if we had added 89 or 93 so we popped in some 104 octane booster to play it safe....it has ehhh 2k on the clock...still stock...anyone?
You will need to change out the injector size by ten percent.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hemi i was actually reflecting and consulting with my close turbo buddies and they too feel that the injectors are incapable of high boost operation and to try a smaller bleed. Im gonna try a smaller bleed then im gonna see advice from Darryl Cox...

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will do...the owner of this mystery SRT ive been playing with is very very happy with the end results despite the CEL but something i just learned is that the CEL comes on when you hit 19psi :shock: :? but our guage only hit 16 tops so i mean what gives :? . The other thing too is we noticed what could be a leak (sounds like it) from the boost guage cause like it never went above 15-16psi

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
acr2nv said:
will do...the owner of this mystery SRT ive been playing with is very very happy with the end results despite the CEL but something i just learned is that the CEL comes on when you hit 19psi :shock: :? but our guage only hit 16 tops so i mean what gives :? . The other thing too is we noticed what could be a leak (sounds like it) from the boost guage cause like it never went above 15-16psi

Now that is a surprise since Autometer is the supplier of the SRT-4 boost gauge. I never had any problems with any Autometer gauges.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well this particular one only read 16psi shortly before the CEL came on and everytime we hit boost it sounded like we had a leak inside the car

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my opinion, I would feel the Fuel pump would be inatiquite before the injectors. Injectors are usualy designed to be run at 80% duty cycle.... they are usualy maxed when at 120% duty cycle, so I think there's more in them. This is in addition to the logic that Mopar will most likely just redo the fuel maps in there "30%" injector upgrade.

I would guess the fuel pump is the weekest link.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gonna tweak this mystery SRT 4 here in a bit...i'll post any new findings...owner did report to me he just saw 17psi read out on his way to my place...and thats after the computer was reset

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
NeonDan
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing