Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first I would like to thank Dan from www.liquidfxmedia.com for hosting the pics. Need web design, give him a shout.

I finally finished my dual 3" turbo back system. Its a prototype so as you can tell the welds are not the best and we used U-bends. I cut and rewelded on top of cuts and welds till it fit like a glove. If you look close you can see additional hangers welded and cut off.

The final piece will be a full mandrel bent piece with welds only on the flanges and hangers.

The rear tips are interchangable and will come in about 4 different styles.

3" Downpipe with 3" highflow cat (for you CA boys :) )

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
mid pipe section. No resonators. Sounds excellent, no rice sound and no droning sound at cruising speeds. Louder than stock but not annoying loud.

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
you are welcome Hector :roll: :wink: and yeah what he said ^^^^

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
Hector,

can you show us a pic of the exhaust where/how it splits

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The second pipe is connected over the axle. Its welded on to the pipe that comes out the left. The left pipe will have a slit cut into it then will be pushed in. This will cause a divertion which will direct some of the ehxuast out the right tip. For the serious racer, I will have it with a single tailpipe.
You will get more exhaust out the left tip than the right tip being that there is a longer travel for the right side. The stock setup has an equal length setup on the back. The pipe goes to the center of the vehicle behind the gas tank. Then you have a y section which gives you an equal length dual pipe coming out. This is not practible on a 3" pipe. If oyu look at teh stock system, the 2.25" pipes are crushed bent some what, even th ough the stock system is actually a mandrel bent setup. The radius are so tight on the tailpipes in the back that you get crush bents.

The best setup by far is a single tip, but that will leave a void in the right bumper. The system is a full 3" which is an overkill if you leave you stock manfold set up on. Its good insurance though knowing that you have the extra capacity if you ever upgrade to a tubular manifold and bigger turbo setup.

I have raced a stock srt-4 that was actually boosting higher than me (adjusted wastegate). I manage to run it an I pulled 3 car lenghts on it. ACtually he pulled 3 car lengths on me because he was driving my car and I was driving his. :)

I will try and get some sound clips up some how. Need to find a video camera.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nnniiiiiccceeee......... :p

Damn, that looks good. I know what a PITA it must have been to get the dual tips just right so that they hung properly.

Wow, exhaust will undoubtedly be my first mod as well. It's surprising how much that looks like stock.

There may be an option of getting a 00+ Aftermarket bumper with a single exhaust outlet, and just do a single exhaust tip.

SXT Spoiler + SXT Bumper + Single exhaust tip = Serious Sleeper!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
mrmixitup said:
Nnniiiiiccceeee......... :p

Damn, that looks good. I know what a PITA it must have been to get the dual tips just right so that they hung properly.

Wow, exhaust will undoubtedly be my first mod as well. It's surprising how much that looks like stock.

There may be an option of getting a 00+ Aftermarket bumper with a single exhaust outlet, and just do a single exhaust tip.

SXT Spoiler + SXT Bumper + Single exhaust tip = Serious Sleeper!
It's like you're DE-MODDING your car!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,407 Posts
Exhaust Depot - Eeenteresting..Nice choice of tips..You going to fab up a more production looking piece sometime though ?

Can I buy your stock exhaust from you ? I want to do some playing around / studying of a stock exhaust system off a car and dont want to remove mine just yet..

·
Banned
27,026 Posts
thats a negative sir as soon as that prototype gets unbolted and shipped for mass production he'll need his exhaust. After he get a production piece then i think he'll be game...right Hector?

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dr. Who said:
So, how much noise does it make when you go over a big bump and the exhaust hits the rear sway bar ?

Seriously, though... speaking from experience... I friend in college fabbed up his own exhaust and didn't account for the fact that the sway bar actually moves A LOT underneath the car.... Once he set the car on the ground, it started to hit :-(
I have fabricated many exhaust pieces before so this is no new thing for me.
If you look , my system has multiple cuts on top of the same section and thats why you see multiple hangers on it. I made sure I worked out teh bugs. I had to also make sure the tips where centered and that there where no clearance issues. I have made many exhaust pieces before and I have been driving for 2 weeks with this system on. Initially it hit but now there is plenty of clearance all over the place.

I need my stock set up as acr said when I take off the proto piece. He knew that because I think he asked me for it? I had like 2 people ask for it already. :)

Mo, what do you mean by more production looking pieces? Do you mean using different style tips? Or do you mean using the stock systems way of doing the rear equal lengh tips? I might be making it in a 2.5" also.
Look at the stock piece. The pipes have very tight radius turns on it. I can't make those type bends with a larger diameter piping being that the dies are alot wider for a 2.5" and 3" pipe. Also the CNC bender will shut itself down if you have to make to tight of a radius turn, alot more pressure on the machine. In a 2" its no problem. If you where to look closely on the stock setup(dual section), you will see that it has alot of pinches where the die clamps grab it.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Looks Killer I’m really interested in that exaust. I would like to also here what it sounds like. It might be cool to do a vid that cuts from the stock sound to the 3” sound. It would give a goo comparison. And maybe in and out of the car. Just a rambling thought…..

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Steve, I don't know what your talking about, we have no damn hills here in FL!!!! Thats the only thing I hate about the state! You can't take a piss out side cause you will end up flooding your yard. Back in NY, you can piss anywhere and it will always roll down hill. :)

I think the stock system sounds pretty good when I engine brake. Im guessing that will be equivalent to going down a hill. The sound of my system sounds great. YOu get the poping sound like you do with the stock system only that its a little louder but not by much. What you do hear though is the turbos spooling when you rev it at idle.

The sound will sound a little more dampen when I spinn off the pieces being that I will be making it out of stainless steel and my proto is aluminized steel. ALuminized steel sounds better than stainless.

Adam,

There is a nice noticable difference with the turbo back system on. I had riceeater drive my car while I drove his.

We started from 4th gear at about 3000 RPM. He easily pulled 2 car lenghts on me by the time we got out of 4th gear and pulled another when we where in 5th. Then I got off the gas.

I don't know what the difference will be with only a catback system on or with a downpipe piece on only.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts