Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious if any manufacturers are thinking of manufacturing some drop spindles for the SRT4. I for one would like to have a lower stance/lower center of gravity while retaining my correct geometry and possibly shaving a few pounds of unsprung weight off of my ride. Anyone else looking for something like this?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
drop spindles!

I think it would be a good idea but, to be honest with you the tooling would more then likley be the killer in this deal.

I have no idea how much it would run but, I am sure it would be costly. I would have to say if not cast, CNC machined.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The SRT/neons do not use spindles in the front. The strut front suspensions, where a "spindle" would be is basically a bearing carrier (upright), that the hub and axle pass through. I dont see where there would be much area to move the hole upward without using a completely different strut setup. That would not be cost effective.

I would rather see someone design an A arm suspension for the front, with adjustable caster and camber. I have a few friends that are into suspension design with FSAE teams, i'll have to ask them ;) I will show them this thread.

On the rear you could design a drop spindle upright, since it already uses a spindle bearing carrier.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm Erik's friend with the FSAE suspension design experience...

I think dropped spindles/uprights would be a cool idea, but might present more challenges than they're worth.

In the rear, I think it'd be pretty easy, if you consider making a new spindle from scratch easy. The only challenges I can see in the rear would be making sure the lower control arms don't collide with the wheel, but that shouldn't be too hard.

In the front uprights, there could be a few challenges involved. First off, is the bottom of the strut far enough from the CV joint that you could raise the CV joint the desired distance (1.5" or so?) without running into problems? Secondly, if you crowd the lower arm and steering hardware further down into the wheel, you could end up interfering with the wheel itself. Is there room here? I think the construction could be fairly simple, i.e. from a few chunks of ~1" aluminum bolted together. I've seen a fabricated aluminum strut upright before, and it wasn't too complicated. Erik, if you want to see it, Prof. Sorensen in the basement of the CSUS Science building might still have it sitting around. He built it for one of the Olds Achieva racecars he worked on. As long as the concerns I've mentioned here aren't realistic ones, this project woudln't be too far out there.

As for making a double a-arm setup, the biggest challenge I could see would be the fitment of a subframe necessary for supporting such a system. I could see something working out if a subframe that connected between the upper strut mount hardware and the stock lower a-arm mounts was employed, with a-arms directly mounted to this with spherical rod ends. Stock uprights/spindles could be used in the assembly just fine, as you could raise the suspension arm attachment points on the subframe, and maybe even use the stock lower arms. Erik, here's your first ME project! Get on it! :thedevil: Although I've never specifically studied strut suspension design, I could really help you with the double a-arm stuff...

Truthfully, however, I don't know that it'd be worth it in the front. Simply finding a way to increase caster would improve things greatly (adds negative camber as a function of steer angle), but the rear suspension could definitely benefit from it, since it doesn't have steer angle with which to generate that negative camber. The Acura RSX suspension is a good example of this... it has a strut front and a double a-arm rear. That said, it would still be cool to have double a-arms all the way around, since suspension geometry would be so much easier to adjust, and the only real drawback is the expense.

-Rodney

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.