Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got about 400 miles of manual transmission driving experience under my belt, 350 of it in my SRT-4 =].

I am doing fine as far as normal driving, maybe stall it out once or twice a day, but what I want to know is, other than the obvious things like downshifting at too high of speeds or slipping the clutch at high RPMs, what type of no-nos should I be looking out for?

For instance, I'm nervous about the fact that I have to ride the clutch when I am reversing out of a parking spot, but if I give it any gas it will move too fast. But is riding the clutch to back up going to add a significant amount of wear?

Also, getting going, I find that I can avoid stalling or lurching by revving it to 2-3k and riding the clutch until the car picks up enough speed to smoothly let it out all the way. Is that bad? I read Exhaust Depot saying that he slips it at 3k until the car reaches speed. How bad does that wear the clutch?

Finally, shifting in general. Once I get it broken in, and I want to run it hard, what's advisable in terms of how much gas to apply between shifts? Right now my brother has pointed out that I let off the gas and let the RPMs drop too much before re-engaging, so it tends to lurch a bit even in 2nd/3rd. Do I want to keep the RPMs up and just let out the clutch quickly?

Anyways, I'm not lost, I drive pretty good, but I want to be sure that I'm not doing anything bad to my baby...

Thanks in advance dudes!!!

- Mike

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Ok ok let me put in my $.02

First off, riding the clutch in reverse isn't bad, how the hell else are you supposed to parralell park?

Droping the clutch at 2-3k to get it going? WTF man can't you feel it engage :p

I did that too though when I learned how to drive stick in a Honda *ducks for cover* I can't really explain how to "Feel it" over the net hehe.

If you do that repeatedly yeah you will wear out the clutch eventually, like everyday, 10 times a day etc hehe.

Running hard muhahahahahhahahaha, can you say Powershift :twisted: .
(The act of slamming thru the gears without taking your foot off the gas)

Just kidding, I kid thats for racing :wink: I lift off slighty between shifts, and don't lurch, I don't think I even give it gas at all really; however I do shift it as soon its synchronized with the depressing of the clutch, an all in one motion kida deal, foot+hand=sametime. No waiting nothing, just put the clutch in, shift and bam. Sometimes when I cruise I don't use the clutch hehe, I time the shifts so I don't have to too use the clutch to DISSENGAGE, but I use it to engage.

You need to learn heel-toe downshifting too, hehe...

My best advice besides that rambling is to go to a professional driving school, if you want to truly pull every oz of potential out of your car :wink:

* I can't spell to save my life so go easy on me*

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
shifting quickly is good.
another good piece of advise is to ride first gear to at least 2500 rpms, dont be that guy that shifts so low that you engine returns to idle too quick because you dont allow it to rev up a little. try to keep rpms at least above 1500 when driving. 2000 is better (my opinion, engine is happier moving at 2000 rather than 1500 or so )

riding the clutch in reverse is fine like the other guy said. something that i've said to people that they found helpful for starting was, while stopped in 1st let the clutch out REAL slow. when you feel it start to move the car begin to give it gas. DONT FLOOR IT i said give it SOME gas :)
that should get you going in first gear. as soon as you start giving it gas let the clutch the rezst of that out pretty quick. or think of it this way. once you start feeling the car moving and you begin to give it gas your clutch foot does not stop. the whole first gear starting process should only take a second or two. hope this helps.

i'll try to get a video for you :) look for something around noon!

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks a ton for the advice! I'm doing pretty well at it today, Day 4. First gear is coming on smoother and the other gears are smooth as glass.

One other Q: I have, I have been doing the 3rd gear redline pulls to seat the rings, and sometimes I lurch hard when I shift into 3rd at 60mph. Am I not revving it enough, or letting the clutch out too quick?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
here's a video form reverse to 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then out of gear at a stop sign. hope this helps, and if anyone wants to give me any tips feel free, whatever :)

http://import.h8rs.com/neonwasp/random-videos/driving_007.MOV

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I just finished teaching my gf driving agressively on the shifting-clutching-braking-acceleration. (Not to be confused with drving agressively on the road and streets). I deviced this practice so she gets used to controlling the clutch, brake, gas and shifts in any given speed.

I set up four cones in an empty open parking lot approximately about 4 car lengths away from each other in a linear manner. Her goal, using only first gear and neutral, is to accelerate hard without peeling, on one side of the cones. She then breaks hard to 0 MPH without skidding right next to the next cone. Then without wasting even half a second, she shifts back to neutral then back again to 1st gear, then accelerates hard while manuevering around the cone to the other side of the cones without peeling any tires. She was also required to look over her shoulder right before entering each corner. She had fun doing this as I watched outside the car for one hour. On each of her runs, I comment on where she could improve.

In an hour, she improved sooooooooooooo much on handling the car.

Next, using the same setup, is the do exactly the same thing BUT all in second gear and neutral. She found it hard at first, but soon enough she was able to control the whole situation.

Few things that she MUST have to keep in in mind is to save the life of the breaking system, clutch, trasmission, and the whole car.

This practice gave her a very good feeling about the car as a whole. She also learned to always protect every part of the car from the moving parts to the shell of the car, as well as everythings outside.

Besides having so much fun doing this, she learned the value of a well-tuned car and she now tries her best to keep all the components of the car operated in non-abusive manner.

Now I am at peace. I don't have to worry about her grinding the gears, burning the clutch over revving the car, lose control during braking, etc. Now, she just need to improve more on reading the road signs and looking and parying attention to the traffic.

She is the coolest...and my car, too! 8)

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're shifting into 3rd at 60mph, then you're redlining 2nd as well. I wouldn't be redlining the car until it's well broken in. You can seat the rings by brief full throttle in 2nd and 3rd but not all the way to redline. Go to 5000, maybe 5500 max.

For 1st, I think I ride the clutch until the car is moving 3-5mph then just release it fully.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoa, SWEET! Thanks NeonWasp! Awesome video, for me anyways =]. I'm taking way too long to let off the clutch in 2nd/3rd etc. I ease it out a bit too slowly.

Also, one thing I just learned talking to my friends at lunch, I didn't realize that pushing the clutch in all the way at a stop was wearing the clutch. I thought it was totally released from friction when you pressed it in all the way, but they said that it is burning because it's being pushed away.

Learning all the time... now I'll sit in neutral at stops, come off the clutch faster in 2nd+ gears, and not push the clutch all the way in anymore.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RE: the shifting into 3rd, I'm dropping it from 5th to 3rd, riding about 2200rpms in 5th. It might just be the power coming on hard and fast, but I need to get an experienced driver in my car to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Silver, thanks for the practice method, I think I'll give that a shot. I'm starting to get the hang of it now, but this advice is going to get me up to full speed by the time my engine is broken in =].

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
pushing the clutch in all the way isnt wearing it (as far as i know!)

the only negative thing about it would be wearing out the springs (in a cable one, dont know about hydraulic)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
NeonWaSp
Dodge SRT Forum
The community to discuss high-performance Dodge vehicles from the SRT and PVO groups, SRT-4, SRT-6, SRT-8, and SRT-10. Come join the fun!
Full Forum Listing