Dodge SRT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
K1 added. Much heavier than the others but its another alternative.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Cool

evo77 said:
Like I said Steve, I'd rather list wheels that are appropriately sized meaning no modifications. You may think its "no big deal" but I sure as heck don't want to be messing with fenders when I can find a wheel that fits right. :)

In any case, thanks for bringing up the K1 wheels because Tirerack can also do the 15x8 K1's in a 32mm offset which is a much better offset. :thumbsup:

At the time when I bought my wheels, they didn't offer 32mm offset. That's great. They will fit much better. Also, just so you know, a heavier wheel works wonders on front wheel drive cars. It's bad enough that the front end lifts through power transfer and it's even worse when you lighten the unsrung weight to make matters worse. Just a thought

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
evo77 said:
Like I said Steve, I'd rather list wheels that are appropriately sized meaning no modifications. You may think its "no big deal" but I sure as heck don't want to be messing with fenders when I can find a wheel that fits right. :)

In any case, thanks for bringing up the K1 wheels because Tirerack can also do the 15x8 K1's in a 32mm offset which is a much better offset. :thumbsup:

They have a 15X8 really? I didn't know that.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes. I forgot that they offer blanks of the Kosei K1 in numerous offsets. They'll drill any bolt pattern. This includes the special 15x8 size.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
evo77 said:
mchat, when I talked to Bogart they mentioned you. What exact offset did you go with and how much clearance is left between the wheel and caliper?
When talking about these kind of wheels, instead of trying to figure out the offset, find out the backspacing. The backspacing will remain the same whether you are running a 7" wide wheel, an 8" wide wheel or a 10" wide wheel, whereas the "offset" for each of those will be different. IIRC, the backspacing was 5.25" I'd have to check to be sure tho.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
mchat said:
The backspacing will remain the same whether you are running a 7" wide wheel, an 8" wide wheel or a 10" wide wheel, whereas the "offset" for each of those will be different.
That is not correct. Backspacing will vary from width to width and they will even vary in the same width depending on offset. The backspacing is measured from the inboard flange of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. If we take an offset of 38mm say, a 7" wheel will have a backspacing of 5.5" where as a 8" wheel will have a 6" backspacing.

·
Registered
658 Posts
mchat said:
I have a contact at Bogart and worked with them to create a set of wheels for my car. The cheaper non-billet centered wheels are a no-go because of our brake caliper clearance. The same will be true for any other wheel manufacturer. Bottom line is no off-the-shelf 15x8 wheel will fit our cars.

IIRC, the Bogarts will run close to $400 ea for the front. For rears, the non-billet centered wheels are doable for close to $200 ea. They won't match the fronts perfectly (since the fronts will use a billet center, and the rears will not) but will be close. If you want an exact match, then the rears will need to be billet centered as well and that'll run you again close to $400 per wheel.

The nice thing is the wheels can be made in just about any wheel width you want in, IIRC, 0.25" increments.

Here's a picture of mine mounted w/ 8x26 Hoosier slicks:

So who at Bogart do we have to contact to get the same wheels you are running? And what size skinnies do you run?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
evo77 said:
That is not correct. Backspacing will vary from width to width and they will even vary in the same width depending on offset. The backspacing is measured from the inboard flange of the wheel to the hub mounting surface. If we take an offset of 38mm say, a 7" wheel will have a backspacing of 5.5" where as a 8" wheel will have a 6" backspacing.
No, what I mean is the backspace remains the same for our application, no matter what the width is. If you run a 7" wide wheel you'll want 5.25" backspace. If you run an 8" wide wheel you'll want 5.25" backspace. If you run a 10" wheel, you'll want 5.25" backspace. This keeps the distance between the inside of the wheel and the suspension components the same no matter the width of the wheel.

Obviously if you keep the Backspace the same, the offset changes; and if you keep the offset the same, then the backspace changes.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
mchat said:
No, what I mean is the backspace remains the same for our application, no matter what the width is. If you run a 7" wide wheel you'll want 5.25" backspace. If you run an 8" wide wheel you'll want 5.25" backspace. If you run a 10" wheel, you'll want 5.25" backspace. This keeps the distance between the inside of the wheel and the suspension components the same no matter the width of the wheel.

Obviously if you keep the Backspace the same, the offset changes; and if you keep the offset the same, then the backspace changes.
Are you basing your logic on the particular Bogart wheel you are using? Because it does not apply to most wheels.

A 7" wheel with a 5.25" backspace equals to a 32mm offset. A 8" wheel with the same backspace is a 19mm offset. Although both the backspacing and offset play roles in fitment of the strut and caliper in most cases you do not need extreme measurements UNLESS the design of the wheel spokes do not allow caliper clearance. Which is why I asked if your measurements are based on your Welded R/T model drag wheels.

In any case to all reading this, before purchasing dedicated drag wheels I would ask the manufactuer if they can provide some sort of template to help determine what offset would be needed to clear the calipers.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
evo77 said:
Are you basing your logic on the particular Bogart wheel you are using? Because it does not apply to most wheels.

A 7" wheel with a 5.25" backspace equals to a 32mm offset. A 8" wheel with the same backspace is a 19mm offset. Although both the backspacing and offset play roles in fitment of the strut and caliper in most cases you do not need extreme measurements UNLESS the design of the wheel spokes do not allow caliper clearance. Which is why I asked if your measurements are based on your Welded R/T model drag wheels.

In any case to all reading this, before purchasing dedicated drag wheels I would ask the manufactuer if they can provide some sort of template to help determine what offset would be needed to clear the calipers.
You're still not getting what I'm saying.

No matter the width of the wheel (7, 8, 10, etc) The distance from the Wheel Mounting Surface to the Back Side of the wheel needs to remain the same for our cars. This does not change (unless you're trying to make the slicks stick out further than necessary). YES, the offset changes but the backspacing (distance from the Wheel Mounting Surface to the Back Side of the wheel) does not.

Hence, if you know the backspacing (which is what custom wheel manufactures like Bogart want) then you don't need to calculate the offset.

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
mchat said:
You're still not getting what I'm saying.

No matter the width of the wheel (7, 8, 10, etc) The distance from the Wheel Mounting Surface to the Back Side of the wheel needs to remain the same for our cars. This does not change (unless you're trying to make the slicks stick out further than necessary). YES, the offset changes but the backspacing (distance from the Wheel Mounting Surface to the Back Side of the wheel) does not.

Hence, if you know the backspacing (which is what custom wheel manufactures like Bogart want) then you don't need to calculate the offset.
And your not getting what I'M saying... :)

I've asked you to clarify if what you speak of is in regards to the Bogart wheels which then would make sense. Because if its not in regards to the Bogart wheels then you are wrong.

The backspacing DOES NOT have to remain the same on our cars for proper fitment. A perfect example is comparing the stock wheels backspacing of 5.25" to my 18x8.5 wheels which have a 6.25" backspace. They are not the same and fit fine.

In one of your previous posts you mentioned about needing to run a 5.25" backspacing on a 7 and 8 inch wide wheel. On the 7 inch, the offset translates into 32mm which although is slightly on the low side its within reason. But on the 8 inch the offset translates into 19mm which is WAY too low. We're talking about a wheel that will stick out way past the fender. A backspace of 5.75" on the 8 inch is more than acceptable and more within the proper range.

See how your logic doesn't make sense?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Comparing Street tires and Street wheels to Drag Slicks and Wheels is not going to work. They are two completely different animals.

On street tires I agree with you, there is more room to deepen the backspace and move the wheel inward. My 245's are 9.7" wide (section width) on 8" wheels, with about 8" of tread width. Which means the tires overhang the wheel by about 0.85" on each side. These are 8" wide wheels with a 35mm offset and are about as close to the struts as you'd want to go. And the backspace is about 5.75", which is deeper than stock.

However with slicks, there is no more room. I have about 3/8" to 1/2" between my coilover and the edge of the slick at the closest point, that's with the narrower 8" Hoosier slicks. With the M&H 8.5" slicks its is about 1/8" to 1/4" (the M&H's also have a considerably larger section width). There just simply isn't any more room to deepen the backspace. So the backspace must remain the same, as the wheel width increases (to accomodate larger slicks).

Here's some graphics to help explain the problem:

As you can see there isn't alot of room to start with between the slick and the strut. If you try to deepen the backspace then the slicks will start rubbing. The section width on the M&H 8.5x26 tires is 10.5" meaning they overhang the 8" wide wheels by 1.25" on each side.

You can only deepen the backspace so far before the tire starts rubbing on the strut. And when running slicks, it's even worse because of how wide the slicks are in relation to the wheel.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Excuse me if I missed this posted...

Will the exact specification of the Bogart wheels you have not rub the "stock" strut assembly (because they are obviously wider than aftermarket coilovers)?

-Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have been looking for slicks and the wheels to go with for my 2005 ACR.
I am worried about the fitment with the struts hitting them. None of my friends have ACRs so I have not been able to get any good info.

Those bogarts that the above link leads to looks good and If I went with such a good looking wheel I might as well get the set(skinnys) for the back.

Can anyone help me out with some recomendations for a wheel/tire set set up for drag racing slicks?? :clap:

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Larrywoz said:
I have been looking for slicks and the wheels to go with for my 2005 ACR.
I am worried about the fitment with the struts hitting them. None of my friends have ACRs so I have not been able to get any good info.

Those bogarts that the above link leads to looks good and If I went with such a good looking wheel I might as well get the set(skinnys) for the back.

Can anyone help me out with some recomendations for a wheel/tire set set up for drag racing slicks?? :clap:
I have been searching threads for days now talking to everyone I could get to listen about this issue. I have finally come up with what I want and what most people want to know. This is however totaly unrelated to this particular thread.

After speaking with John at M&H slicks a supporting vendor for the board I have come up with the perfect size for my application. As far as the slick size goes I am going with a 24.5x8.5x15. I will be putting these on 15x7 Kosei Silver rims.

If you go with a 26 inch tall rim you will have to go with a 6 inch wide slick to make it clear the stock perch. You can go to an 8 inch slick if you cut the perch to make for the clearance or you will have to switch to coilovers.

By the way John at M&H was very helpfull and I would recomend anyone with questions or looking to buy a slick call him. Or contact them. There is a link in supporting vendors and here is the email addy [email protected] or you can call him at 1-661-706-1576 .

Hayabusa

·
Forum Moderator
13,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
smellmyface said:
wel yall at list the welds i got.. here a pic what thay look like..

heres my sinkeys.. i run

What are the specs on the wheels?

21 - 40 of 87 Posts