Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
yea it does actually wate a little gas caz for a second ur motor revs high if u downshift from like 3rd to 2nd doin 40 or sumtin u eat up gas its kinda like startin ur car and how they say that eats so much gas. But no as long as u give it a little gas and make it a reasonable downshift it shouldnt hurt anything. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
189 Posts
There are pretty much 3 situations in which you need to downshift:

1. When the revs drop below your powerband.

I don't know where the powerband starts on a SRT but for my car it's 3000RPM. Anything below that and I'll bog if I get on the throttle so a downshift is definately in order unless Im cruising freeway speed with no change in traffic or speed.

2. Before taking a turn

Say you're in 4th gear and a slow turn is coming up ahead of you. You should brake until you reach 2nd gear speed and then downshift to 2nd (dont bother with 3rd) and then turn in. Never take a turn with the clutch in or in neutral because if you let out the clutch during the turn it will upset the car's suspension. I've seen friends go from 5th to 4th to 3rd then 2nd..that's a waste of clutch.

3. Too much engine load and you need more power (like on hills)

·
Registered
626 Posts
4. slowing down in inclimate weather

if it's raining or snowing and you know your tires aren't in top shape for the weather, it's always good to downshift while approaching a stop to not skid. especially in snow, it's the safest thing to downshift all the way down to first for a stop.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
What??? The best thing for snow is to coast. I grew up with snow, plus I'm over here in Germany. If you downshift your car, you shock the tires which increases your chances of losing traction. If you slowly hit your clutch, or ride out the gear you are in till low RPM's, you won't break your traction. And trust me on that!

On a side note, you should try to downshift your car in the first 10k miles because he helps where in your gears properly. Just upshifting them only wears in one side, which could shorten tranny life.

Oh well, it's just my 2 cents anyway. Happy driving!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
JustANeonButBadass said:
4. slowing down in inclimate weather

if it's raining or snowing and you know your tires aren't in top shape for the weather, it's always good to downshift while approaching a stop to not skid. especially in snow, it's the safest thing to downshift all the way down to first for a stop.
Only problem with that is you have to rev match or you're gonna lock the driving wheels. Besides, most cars nowadays have ABS brakes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
downshifting is fine...do it at every single light and every time I want to slow down...you have much more control over the vehicle and that is one of the perks of driving a five speed...I cant stand the feeling of slowing down without downshifting...keeps you from warping rotors too....which I have done to every auto I have ever owned like every four months....I hate autos... :deadcow:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.