Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok installed the Needwings DP without cat. With the plate closed it runs fine more popping noises but thats fine with me. When i opened the plate up it sounded ok, loud like i figured, but when i jump on it no power at all feels very sluggish. Put it back on and normal power. From what i was told open plate makes more HP but it feels like a lot less.

"Edit Stage 2, MSD wires, mopar STS, KN Air drop in"

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
that's odd, u should have no restriction and dump out so make more high end power, may take longer for turbo to spool tho

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what i was told it would spool faster also. I dont know but when its closed it hauls ass right now so i will keep it closed for now until i figure it out. Tomorrow i will take it off again and see what happens.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
no way it would maek the turbo lag, if anythign it would spool up almost instantly...no restriction

·
SRTforums Member, SRT of the Month
2,155 Posts
You should feel the gain with it open. The turbo spools much faster and third gear has a nice pull to it. I don't know why you wouldn't feel a gain with it open though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
mine lags with the cutout open but only when the engine is still cold. once it warms up it pulls hard and thats the only performance mod i have right now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright looks like i will try again tomorrow and see how well it goes. I could have sworn it had like no power but maybe it was to loud and i wasnt paying attention. From the sounds of it noone else has had this problem. Thanks guys for your info.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Quick Time Performance with the E cut out and its great. The turbo is at 18psi of boost by 2600rpm while its open. Deffinetly more tourque and power.

Alan Szabo Jr.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You will gain HP on the top end due to how quickly the exhaust is being dumped, BUT you will lose Torque due to the fact that back pressure has been eliminated. Look at dyno sheets with results of closed versus open. closed there's a all around gain, Open HP goes higher but TQ drops.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
HaloBreaker said:
You will gain HP on the top end due to how quickly the exhaust is being dumped, BUT you will lose Torque due to the fact that back pressure has been eliminated. Look at dyno sheets with results of closed versus open. closed there's a all around gain, Open HP goes higher but TQ drops.
Not exactly true......
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=235881
this guy gained twice as much torque as he gained horsepower..... With just a wga and a needswings. He hasn't even installed his mapclamp yet.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
i believe wtq is higher with a downpipe, but it comes on smoother than just a huge spike and falling off. So instead of your graph looking like a steep mountain, it's more broad and it eases on kinda like the shape of a hill.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
the steep (mountain) graph, would cause a sudden jolt to the drive train and cause your tires to slip faster. The (hill) graph wouldn't spin the tires as much, because it's much more smooth. Even if the (hill) has a higher peak.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I know a while back some peeps where having the same problem with S2 and 3" TBE.
Something about the PCM seeing the loss of backpresure as a bad thing and pulling performance as a result?

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
you should get the E-cutout for it. wit that, you can open and close it from inside and you will notice the difference more that way. by stopping, getting out of the car, fucking with things, then getting back in and starting over, youre allowing too much time to lose the feeling you get. when i drive my car with it clsed, i get less boost and less of a tourque feeling. when i open it, i gain boost, it holds more boost to redline, and i get way more of a TQ feeling. no dyno sheets yet, but i have been running a 3" TBE with no cat for the past year and i recently traded it for this, and i like this WAY better than the TBE.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Chris(PA) said:
I know a while back some peeps where having the same problem with S2 and 3" TBE.
Something about the PCM seeing the loss of backpresure as a bad thing and pulling performance as a result?
check sport compact mag, they have a whole write-up on this. They tested a 3" side exit on a project car and it only gained 4 whp and 4 wtq due to the computer adjusting to make it's "target". The same thing happens when you up the boost too high, the comp pulls timing. Or when you put an aftermarket IC and get cooler air into the motor, the pcm dumps fuel.
I don't know for sure if this would be his problem because he says if feels slower. Even if the pcm was pulling back something else to make up for the loss of backpressure, it would still feel close to the same power wise.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
lunchbox660 said:
you should get the E-cutout for it. wit that, you can open and close it from inside and you will notice the difference more that way. by stopping, getting out of the car, fucking with things, then getting back in and starting over, youre allowing too much time to lose the feeling you get. when i drive my car with it clsed, i get less boost and less of a tourque feeling. when i open it, i gain boost, it holds more boost to redline, and i get way more of a TQ feeling. no dyno sheets yet, but i have been running a 3" TBE with no cat for the past year and i recently traded it for this, and i like this WAY better than the TBE.
Same here.
3" was too loud alll the time
E-Cutout is awsome.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts