Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've not liked the design on the k&n drop in so im goign to try this one out for a while and see if it's any better, has anyone tried this style of filter vs. a flat faced k&n? the k&n in the pic is rather dirty for being in there less than 9 months. I hope i just found a cheaper better alternative....

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I think the dirty look is just from the recycled combustion vapours that empty into the air box from the breather tube (valve cover). Not likely dirt itself but rather combustion vapours/soot mixed with oil.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
you know, they make kits to "renew" the K&N right? What makes you think that one air filter won't get as dirty as the other? This thread makes no sense, in my opinion. The K&N filter recharge kits are sold at local autopart stores and it only takes about a half hour to do.
Spray the filter w/ the supplied cleaner, let it soak, wash out (from inside out), let dry, spray on oil treatment to help catch dirt, dust, etc., done.
Filter looks brand new after the recharge. Also, if you read the directions and supplied info on the recharge kit, it says the filters actually are more effective after a few months use over a freshly recharged unit.

·
Premium Member
9,774 Posts
theres about 5whp hidden in there just by bypassing the stock airbox.

anyways , I have witnessed and so have a few others. That style of filter is prone to coming apart. see right where the metal insert is in the middle. those are known to come off, just imagine what happens when you are on boost!

Ask blinky here on the forums...
the turbo on left is jeans stock turbo we took off her car, the turbo on the right is his stock turbo that got the metal insert of the filter inside it. he lost 60whp up top. He is now running the legendary srtgurl turbo...lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i didnt post that my k&n was no good anymore, i already cleaned it, i just was wondering about the open faced filter.

as for the filter comming apart, thats no good, ouch, k this is gunna be drag strip only i guess then, thanks for the heads up, thats pretty much why i posted, THANK YOU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.