Dodge SRT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Wish I had some aluminum sheet laying around. I'm currently waiting for one to fall out of the sky.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
diffuser

Since the race season is almost over, you could wait till I get home in Dec. i am going to build a few for the first of the year.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
wtf, But according to Bernouli's law air flow through a divergent duct, diffuser, slows down and increases in pressure.
Slow down? Negative. The easiest way to explain what you just said is to open your mouth wide and blow air out. Now slowly reduce the size of that opening and it gets faster and more directed. Same basic principle as a diffuser. A metered orifice creates and area of low pressure around the area thus streamlining the object and making it more slippery etc. That's a very basic explanation thou.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
896 Posts
im glad your talking about REAL diffusers and not the trash cf ones everyone buys for the looks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Slow down? Negative. The easiest way to explain what you just said is to open your mouth wide and blow air out. Now slowly reduce the size of that opening and it gets faster and more directed. Same basic principle as a diffuser. A metered orifice creates and area of low pressure around the area thus streamlining the object and making it more slippery etc. That's a very basic explanation thou.:thumbsup:
When you close your mouth thats a venturi. A diffuser is a space that gets a wider as the air travels through it and according to bernouli's law air slows down as it goes through a diffuser not speed up, and it creates high pressure, not low.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
When you close your mouth thats a venturi. A diffuser is a space that gets a wider as the air travels through it and according to bernouli's law air slows down as it goes through a diffuser not speed up, and it creates high pressure, not low.
Yes this is true to an extent. it depends on what your trying to accomplish. Most diffusers have straight channels thus breaking up the turbulent air underneath the car. Same principle as a diffuser on the roof. It serves to break up the turbulent high pressure air and keep it moving straight over the vehicle, sucking it down to the ground to say the least. And yes you are right on the venturi thing, but its was a very basic explanation.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Wikipedia actually agrees with me, says it slows the air down to match the speed of the freestream air and allows it to expand to create less turbulence.

The other article says it speeds the air up and creates a low pressure zone making down force. They're saying two opposite things.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Wikipedia actually agrees with me, says it slows the air down to match the speed of the freestream air and allows it to expand to create less turbulence.

The other article says it speeds the air up and creates a low pressure zone making down force. They're saying two opposite things.
Lol yea i read the Wikipedia response as well. it all falls in the same category just different usage and needs

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Just thought i'd throw up these pics. I was bored one weekend and had a full sheet of aluminum kicking around. It seems to be quite functional, cost very little and wieghs very little.

I don't own a camera, so these are the best pics I have.

want one.

Any chance of putting up more details on construction. What did you use for bends and what are the mounting points for it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks, and I did build it in my driveway, not on a hoist. The car is just up in the air to be gone over and bleed the brakes for a time attack event. I'll post some front splitter pics when I get some. Maybe even a pic with me standing on it.
i would like to see the splitter, what material did you use? i made mine out of plywood, i trip people out when i stand on mine and they can see the front of the car go way down! haha:thumbsup:

·
SRTforums Member, SRT of the Month
379 Posts
i would like to see the splitter, what material did you use? i made mine out of plywood, i trip people out when i stand on mine and they can see the front of the car go way down! haha:thumbsup:
My diffuser is made of 1/16" aluminum sheet. This may seem kind of flimsy but it isn't because of the rounded sides that follow the exhaust cutouts(I have no tailpipes so my bumper is cut in a nice arch from exhaust cutout to exhaust cutout) and the aluminum fins that are firmly riveted to the underside. My mounts are 1/8"x1" aluminum strapping riveted to the bumper cover and the suspension cross brace.
The diffuser was not the easiest thing I've ever fabbed. I spent half a day just getting my cardboard template to fit the way I wanted. The fit and finish is actually much better than my pics would indicate.

The splitter was much easier to construct. It is made of 1/8" aluminum sheet. It is bolted to the underside of the factory front lip and secured to the chassis with one L-bracket in each wheelwell aswell as aircraft cable from the front of the splitter up through the front bumper to the chassis with turnbuckles in the mix for pitch adjustment. All told I have about 3-4 degrees of adjustment.

I'm pulling all the aero tomorrow to get ready for the rallyx season, so i'll try to get some better pics of both the splitter and diffuser. I'll also throw them both on the scale and post actual wieghts for both.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm pulling all the aero tomorrow to get ready for the rallyx season, so i'll try to get some better pics of both the splitter and diffuser. I'll also throw them both on the scale and post actual wieghts for both.[/QUOTE]

intrested in the pics:thumbsup:

·
SRTforums Member, SRT of the Month
379 Posts
Hi. I got a chance to spend last Saturday in the shop winter and rallyx prepping which meant pulling aero, raising and adjusting the suspension and swapping brakes and tires. Along the way I was able to get some decent pics of both the splitter and diffuser construction aswell as mounting points.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Paint the front lip black it would match nicely with the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have full acess to a metal shop with probably ten tons of aluminum or more does anyone think this would look alright on a stock looking car? mine is silver so it would match better

21 - 40 of 78 Posts