Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
struts

since the srt-4 came with 17" wheels, the spring perch is higher on the strut body, to give the proper clearance for the wheels and tires that they came with.

The regular neon came with the most 15", so the spring perch did not sit higher on the strut body.

The one I am not to sure on is, the r/t neon. These came with 16" wheels, so I am not sure what type of strut they came with..

Dont try to use reg neon struts fot the srt, wheels wil not fit, the the dampning was way different.

·
Administrator
46,589 Posts
did you bother searching or reading the stickies?

no, I guess not.

DO NOT USE STRUTS DESIGNED FOR A REGULAR NEON. CHECK ALL PART NUMBERS AND MAKE SURE THEY MATCH WHAT IS POSTED IN THE SUSPENSION FAQ THREAD. MANY COMPANIES WILL LIST A STRUT AS WORKING ON THE SRT-4 BUT FAIL TO MENTION THE SAME PART IS USED ON A REGULAR NEON. CHECK ALL PART NUMBERS BEFORE ORDERING!!!!!

The wheel sizes mentioned are not the whole reason the lower spring perch is higher on the strut body but instead the desired overall tire height was chosen for looks and load capacity and the engineers decided a tire just over 25" tall was needed (25.1" for 03, 25.4" for 04-05) compared to the ~23.5" tall tire used on regular neons. SRT-4s with the ACR package have tires that are 23.7" tall and achieve the desired ride height with the use of regular SRT-4 springs on standard neon-sized struts. That is the reason you can't use a 17" wheel on an ACR-equipped car or a regular neon without going to a skinny and weak tire, HIGHLY unrecommended for the SRT-4 due to the weight on the front axle. The real tire limit for an SRT-4 ACR or regular neon (this goes for SE/SXT/RT/ACR/etc, and for most reasonable width and offset wheels) is right at 24.2" tall. Taller tires may fit on one end of the car but cause problems at the other, so unless this is a track car you should stick with same size tires all around and just avoid messing with things and trying to get a wheel and tire combo to fit.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
since the srt-4 came with 17" wheels, the spring perch is higher on the strut body, to give the proper clearance for the wheels and tires that they came with.

The regular neon came with the most 15", so the spring perch did not sit higher on the strut body.

The one I am not to sure on is, the r/t neon. These came with 16" wheels, so I am not sure what type of strut they came with..

Dont try to use reg neon struts fot the srt, wheels wil not fit, the the dampning was way different.
I took a picture of a neon strut with an srt4 spring installed next to a stock srt4 strut with stock spring. you can see the difference manny z is talking about. It will work but you cant run anything larger than a 17inch rim with a 205 tire.

·
Administrator
46,589 Posts
Stop talking wheel diameter and tire widths. A regular neon strut, besides not being valved for the load, limits out to a TIRE diameter around 24.4". Since stock srt-4 tire diameter is 25.3" your statement doesnt hold true.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have run neon struts and springs on my Srt for many years.....with factory tires and wheels,they fit.,and ride height is not affected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts