Dodge SRT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regrettably, a "simple" mistake when installing t-bolt clamps on one of my IC hoses prompted the destruction of my car's engine.

Please check for clearances after you install these. Hopefully someone will see this in a search on t-bolt clamps and possibly prevent a serious accident or the destruction of another motor by reading it.

Destruction of an SRT-4 engine

:eeeek: :crying:

·
Administrator
39,596 Posts
I still don't see how the computer DIDN'T limit revs by cutting fuel and spark. I seriously don't have a clue how this could have happened without some sort of electrical problem that didn't allow the rev limiter to cut in, even with the throttle being stuck wide open one would think it would act just like you were flooring it and nto let it rev through the roof.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They said the throttle body, got caught on the bolt of the t-bolt clamp. It was fine if idle, but if accelerating, it'd cause it to touch, and if accelerating more than a little, it'd cause it to get stuck on the bolt.

So it was a clearance issue from what they explained to me.

As far as the automatic protection, via rev-limiter, they told me that it doesn't work while in neutral, so it didn't prevent the rpms from going ballistic and obliterating the engine once it was put in neutral. :stab:

·
Registered
713 Posts
thats bs, i have revved it and bounced of the limiter before in neutral. that is kinda odd now that i think about it, motor should cut spark and start afterfireing like a bitch.

·
Administrator
39,596 Posts
go after them making them tell you how exactly the rev limiter doesn't work in neutral. I haven't stuck my hand down near the tb in a while but I don't remember it being THAT tight in there that a simple clamp being turned the wrong way can cause the tb to jam up and rev out of control. I think it has to be something else.

just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
yea i agree that something doesnt add up. b/c as i stated in your other thread the rev limiter/fuel cutoff DOES work in neutral ( i even tried it to make sure).

·
Registered
658 Posts
dmagro said:
They said the throttle body, got caught on the bolt of the t-bolt clamp. It was fine if idle, but if accelerating, it'd cause it to touch, and if accelerating more than a little, it'd cause it to get stuck on the bolt.

So it was a clearance issue from what they explained to me.

As far as the automatic protection, via rev-limiter, they told me that it doesn't work while in neutral, so it didn't prevent the rpms from going ballistic and obliterating the engine once it was put in neutral. :stab:
As stated in other posts the rev limiter does work in neutral. I would fight dodge or who ever becasue the rev limiter should have saved your engine. Good luck.
Jesse

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
you should also watch out when putting on an aftermarket pipe, it will actually grab the inside of the throttle linkage, then it hangs there.. i've seen that one happen a few times.. nobody wants to admin jamming the pipe on that far though.

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Like some in the other thread stated, I just went out and knocked mine off the rev limiter in N. It DOES work.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
03srt4me said:
Like some in the other thread stated, I just went out and knocked mine off the rev limiter in N. It DOES work.
I just posted again under the original thread. I'm going to talk to the dealer about this. The car most certainly let the rpms go up as soon as it went to neutral, and then keep increasing to the point where it sounded really bad.

Hopefully the rev limiter didn't fail because of something directly related to my installation of the t-bolt clamp. I guess there's a glimmer of hope now, but as the DCX guy was already there and said it wouldn't be warrantied, I'm not at all confident.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I so didn't want this to turn into a warranty type thread...

However, I think there's a good chance the S2/Mopar "no warranty" is what's going to do me in here, as S2 is what would control the rev limiter.

So if the S2 computer failed to cut the fuel/spark and let the engine over rev, it's what caused the damage and it doesn't have a real warranty. In addition the damage would be easily proven as done by the S2 computer, and that's all they'd need to not apply the powertrain warranty to the engine.

Looks like I remain screwed. :eeeek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.