Dodge SRT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DC Sports exhaust update

For those of you with the DC Sports 3" stainless steel cat-back exhaust, I have some great news! In regards to the rear section of the exhaust and the issue all of us have been having with the offset tips: I just got this email from AEM/ DC Sports...

Hi Brian, we have been playing phone tag so i figured i would email you also. im happy to hear that the clearance problem you had was resolved, as for the issue you are having with the exhaust tips. we have revised the rear section of the system to solve that problem, what happened was that the original car that we designed the exhaust for was slightly different from the production models. i will need you to return the rear section only and we can send the revised version to you. if you dont have your stock exhaust or dont want to go through the trouble of swapping the exhaust out twice, i can send you a new section as long as you leave me a c/c # so we can charge your account if we dont receive the old rear section. i will try to call you again later to give you a return authorization number and to go over the details with you.

thanks,
Ky Le
AEM / DC SPORTS
[email protected]
310-484-2322 EXT: 203

Problem acknowledged and problem solved. It looks like my phone calls, emails and all the pictures I sent have finally paid off. Two big thumbs up to AEM and DC Sports for taking care of this!

:2thumbsup

EDIT: Lots of people have been asking when AEM/DC Sports stopped producing the old, crooked setup and started producing the new setup. They also wanna know if retailers still have the old setup on their shelves and are unaware it's been redesigned. I asked those questions on 10/20/04 and received this reply the same day from Ky Le...

there shouldn't be any of the older systems out on the market. we did not produce very many of those systems. all the systems that are available now should fit fine.

Mods...Please sticky this thread so all the other SRT-4 owners experiencing the same issues won't have to go through the same headache.

BTW...here are the previous threads I'd started about the problems I was having with the exhaust if anybody is wondering what the hell I'm babbling about...

http://srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71305

http://srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1100034&posted=1#post1100034

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep. That's the exact same problem all of us are having. Take a few pictures and email them AEM.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Does that mean the pipes will still stick out at an angle?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerod said:
Does that mean the pipes will still stick out at an angle?
Yes. Here are some pics that will show you the problems I'm having. The first 2 pics will best illustrate the problem with the wierd angles...

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/TIPS.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/OVER.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/UNDER.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/DOWNPIPE.JPG

Blk_04_Ownz_You said:
Has anyone taken it to the dealer to get it aligned?
The TSB DCx issued for the stock exhaust doesn't apply to this. Except for the connection at the downpipe, the piping on the DC Sports setup are flanged connections. The sections of piping on the stock exhaust are connected with a clamp. Once you loosen those 2 clamps (one at the downpipe and one near the rear axle) you can manipulate the stock exhaust tips to line up. That's all the dealerships do. You can probably do that on your own if you want. Here is a link to that TSB.

http://home.comcast.net/~blackhandclan/exhaust_tip_TSB.pdf

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I hadn't seen any pics when I ordered the exhaust because Modern did not have them up yet. I DO NOT like the exhaust sticking out at an angle. Everyone just told me that is the way they are supposed to be.

I still have no idea if mine has a problem or not.. I guess I will find out if I put it on.

·
Registered
362 Posts
i have the fixed version. still doesnt look straight to me. i think this is the style they were going for.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Any pics?

·
Registered
362 Posts
no sorry. i can take some tomorrow but dont have a way of hosting them. about a month ago dcsports took my car for a week to make this exhaust and do tests.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerod said:
So after they swap the rear pipe section the exhaust tips will face straight like the Mopar or stock exhaust?
I sure hope so. I'll be sure to post some pics when it comes. I believe it may be backordered right now though unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an FYI for anybody following this thread...AEM/DC Sports is not expecting more inventory of the setup until early next month.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I bought my setup literally hours before the price went up. I got a heads up from a few people that it was now or never, because the price of stainless steel was about to go up about 80%, so I jumped on it.

My understanding is that the setup I have and the setup people bought 3 days later (pre price hike vs. post price hike) is exactly the same. The difference in cost is due to the sharp spike in stainless steel costs, not any engineering changes. Lots of people w/this setup have PM'd me about their problems with the exhaust tips section. Some bought it before me. Some bought it after me. I'd like to think that all of emails and pictures prompted AEM/DC Sports to re-engineer the design, but who knows? Is there a certain "build date" that means the rear section will now line up? Has AEM/DC Sports contacted their retailers and replaced the rear section of any SRT-4 exhausts on the shelves? When exactly did they start selling a new and improved version of this setup? I dunno the answers to any of these questions. It would be nice to see them specifically address this issue in a press release or something like that.

I know one thing though...before anybody else out there buys this exhaust setup please call them up and ask if you're buying the old design or the new design. If the person on the other end of the line doesn't know what you're talking about, please feel free to reference this thread. $700 is a lot of money to pay for something that may or may not fit depending on when it was built.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Stiner,

1st off, thanks for all the work you have done on this.. Its much appreciated. I was able to get one at pre-price hike and so I figured I would go for it knowing about the issues. When you say may or may not fit your talking about the tips correct and not the WHOLE system not fitting? To be honest my mopar tips have always been off as well no matter what I have done. I am going to see if I can get ahold of your contact and see if they will send me a rear section

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Ky Le of AEM/DC hasnt been too helpful w/ me. i sent him pics and he told me he couldnt see anything wrong. does he think im trying to get a new exhaust tip section for free? y would i go through all that trouble if i had a fitting tip section?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That's right Jake. It's only the rear section that seems to be designed wrong. The rest of the setup is fine. The connection at the cat might need a little effort but it fits. Overall it's a great setup, in terms of power and lower than stock volume, so getting AEM/DC Sports to acknowledge the alignment problems was a labor of love. I documented everything because I knew other SRT-4 owners were in the same boat as me.

I recommend taking pictures of your setup before contacting AEM/DC Sports. If possible, try to snap some while the cars on a lift because that will really be the most revealing angle to show the alignment problems with the rear section. You also might wanna get some shots of the connection at the cat so they know it's on there right and you're competent. Believe me...user error and amateur installation is the first thing they'll blame your probolems on. Don't get pissed. A picture is worth a thousand words. Plus I'm sure the problems with this setup are being archived.

lilazndemon20 said:
Ky Le of AEM/DC hasnt been too helpful w/ me. i sent him pics and he told me he couldnt see anything wrong. does he think im trying to get a new exhaust tip section for free? y would i go through all that trouble if i had a fitting tip section?
Ky has been pretty up front and honest with me. Can you post the pics you sent him? It may be the angle you took them from.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts